U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 07:31 AM

5,513 posts, read 1,979,616 times

Advertisements

Small update.

Parents waiting for more inventory. Was on hold past 4 weeks because there was nothing entering the market until like last week. Plan on going back up in two weekends
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 07:34 AM

2,802 posts, read 1,100,376 times
masssachoisetts, have you narrowed down your search? I might be out of the loop (no pun intended!) on where you are with the situation...

Old 04-09-2021, 07:37 AM

Parents went contigent on something.in March and backed out at inspection with the report. It was pretty daunting.

And yeah they have, they increased their budget a little and really narrowed down. Il make a map tonight and show where the search is narrowed too.

So exciting.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:49 AM

masssachoicetts, yes this is exciting.

I drove down to Chicago two times in three days this past weekend. I spent my time on the north side. You can look at your map where Giddings Plaza and Gompers Park, if you want to see where. They are not TOO far from Hollywood Park neighborhood. All of those a re great areas!

This weekend is supposed to be rainy, but I am leaning towards doing a Chinatown trip on the south side. So if you come down in TWO weekends, you might have better weather to explore!

Old 04-09-2021, 02:10 PM

This is the areas of interest map.

Green- Ideally, top areas of interest. Loved areas, meet our budgets, lots of good homes on market.
Red- Would buy here. But not the TOP tier area. But part of the search.
Orange- Would also buy here. Either too expensive or not that desirable or not that nice.

Fair to say they'd end up anywhere inside the red.
Attached Thumbnails
Would yo recommend these areas? (Rogers Park, Hollywood Park, etc)-chicago.png  

Old 04-16-2021, 07:23 AM

Another bid went in for a $207k home. Bid at $225k and lost it.

Another bid on 4/11 went in for $200k on a $190k, lost it.

All in the Budlow Neighborhood

Old 04-16-2021, 07:50 AM

masssachoicetts, good morning.

I wish you the best! As an outsider, I am one of the hugest fans of the Lincoln Square neighborhood, and when I come to visit, will usually try to include a "drive-by" through it, even if I am planning to hang out in a different part of town.

It may have been a typo, but I think you meant the "Budlong" neighborhood. Another very quaint and relatively unknown part of Lincoln Square, that I love, is called Bowmanville. Have you looked in that particular area?

Again, much luck with this!

Old Today, 12:05 PM

8 posts, read 6,384 times
For what it’s worth I grew up and lived in 60626 from about 2000-2020. I took the train every single day as a high schooler and never had any weird situations happening at the Jarvis or Howard CTA (white, skinny male). My younger brother was one time mugged/coerced/intimidated by a guy into giving him money at the train stop. We had a 1990 Honda Accord that was stolen and recovered twice a few blocks away, easy car to break into. Growing up I remember once a turf war happening late at night and A few times I would be scared as a kid hearing gun shots: however something like that hasn’t happened since 2010 or so. The most traumatizing incident for me was when a police officer shot into the window of my room at 3am, but he was off duty and apparently “cleaning his gun” in the condo next door. The neighborhood has gotten much more well kept / hip.

This all being said I would recommend living in East Rogers park (by Jarvis stop) to just about anyone. I very rarely have ever felt unsafe and have gone for runs throughout the neighborhood and near by Evanston 1000x of times, sometimes at midnight. No where else on the north side feels the same in terms of normal people just getting by-> this is largely due to the high and diverse immigrant population. Moving down into edge water glen will give more of a more contrived, selected, upper middle class white vibe that in my experience isn’t actually much/any safer. The community and culture there might be more immediately accessible to a white American that is uncomfortable with assimilating or interacting with new cultures. Near the lake in edgewater is more economically diverse. East Rogers park has always felt like the most naturally urban area to me-> there really isn’t a typical type of person that lives there, and shadow of racial selection is the dimmest (compared to much more tight knit Jewish, indian, and white communities surrounding). In fact, since living in other parts of the city and other cities, I have felt my own racial prejudices increase because I think it was almost impossible to have high prejudice in Rogers park since there was no norm to compare to. This high amount of diversity does lead to a lack of a unified community in many ways -> I don’t know the number but I would imagine a much higher % of the population speaks English as a second language than most areas.

In conclusion I personally wouldn’t worry about crime in Rogers park at all. 10/10 one of the best places in the city if you are willing to integrate into the large variety of cultures in the area. It’s a shame the local YMCA closed down, it was a great hub that brought together a beautiful array of cultures and people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago