U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 05:17 PM

4,558 posts, read 1,632,511 times

Advertisements

Hi Chicago.

I have a few 60 year old family members who are looking at units in Chicago. After living in FL and NC, the sunbelt isn't it for them. They love good urbanity and Chicago has some great affordable areas.

Are these areas below 'safe' to walk around/be near? They did a lot of research and love all of these areas, but some people say the neighborhoods are hit/miss. Any insight is well appreciated!

This area of Rogers Park:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0170...7i16384!8i8192

This part of Hollywood Park:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9788...7i16384!8i8192

Morse area/Loyola?
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0054...7i16384!8i8192

I went as cclsoe as possible to the units as I could. Also, I hear the closer you are to Howard the worse it is? It doesnt look bad at all.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 02-18-2021 at 05:31 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 06:05 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,088,698 times
Hollywood Park would be my choice.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:13 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,596,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hi Chicago.

I have a few 60 year old family members who are looking at units in Chicago. After living in FL and NC, the sunbelt isn't it for them. They love good urbanity and Chicago has some great affordable areas.

Are these areas below 'safe' to walk around/be near? They did a lot of research and love all of these areas, but some people say the neighborhoods are hit/miss. Any insight is well appreciated!

This area of Rogers Park:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0170...7i16384!8i8192

This part of Hollywood Park:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9788...7i16384!8i8192

Morse area/Loyola?
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0054...7i16384!8i8192

I went as cclsoe as possible to the units as I could. Also, I hear the closer you are to Howard the worse it is? It doesnt look bad at all.
It's really hard to give a valuable opinion without knowing more about who these 60-year-olds are and what their criteria are. They're all decent middle-class areas.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:42 AM

64 posts, read 16,534 times
Not familiar with that street specifically but the Rogers Park location might be a little worse in terms of crime. It can be good block/bad block around there.

They should look at Edgewater too. Lots of retirement communities around.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:59 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,092,807 times
yeah basically there are some pockets around howard that historically have had gang issues. its chicago after all so this is somewhat true everywhere, even in the most expensive parts of town. i think it depends what their tolerance is. rogers park overall is a diverse community, both racially and economically. there are very expensive historic homes, there is public housing, theres hippes and hipsters, there are highrises close to the lake, theres Loyola, theres professionals and cab drivers living side by side, theres big patches of green space (cemeteries/close to forest preserves on the west), go down devon and theres an entire section comprised heavily of hasidic jews and then a bit further and it magically changes to a sea of some of the best indian restaurants and grocery stores in the city. its a microcosm and a patchwork of the city in a way that a lot of other heavily gentrified neighborhoods have ceased to be. personally i love that aspect of it. if you are coming from a suburban area in the SE, this may be a culture shock or it may be exactly what youre looking for. are you OK hearing maybe once a year that a gang shooting happened within a 1/2 mile of your house? are you ok walking past people loitering at an L stop? if not rogers park, and the city in general, may be a tough sell. if you can continue to go about your day as lots of other people do, it may not affect you at all. everyone is different. personally, i wouldnt have a problem living in any of these areas and i find a lot of those neighborhoods extremely beautiful, with lots of mature trees and good lake air and beautiful diverse architecture. but again its the city. there will be an adjustment if theyre not used to or expecting it.

hollywood park is a really lovely part of the city. it also puts you close to the forest preserves/north shore trail, if theyre at all active with cycling or just going for walks /jogs its an awesome amenity and that trail can take you all the up to the botanical gardens in glencoe.

the area near morse will fell more "urban" since the red line is active there, which gives you an easy option to get downtown, and of course youre walking distance to the lake which goes without saying is a very nice option in the summer. worth noting that closer you are to the lake, the more you get into a microclimate as well. cooler in the summer than the rest of the city which is generally nice, but it can also mean spring comes later than areas further west. you can also get fog when other areas dont.

yes edgewater to the south has a lot of retirement communities too, particuarly along sheridan, but if theyre still active and independent however i imagine thats probably the last thing theyre looking for. 60 isnt that old.

in general tho we'd need more info in terms of what it is theyre looking for, what their experience with the city is, how they are planning on getting around, the kind of lifestyle theyre after, and what their expectations are.

Last edited by via chicago; 02-19-2021 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-19-2021, 10:48 AM

2,557 posts, read 985,651 times
Good morning, I don't even live in the city NOR the State!

I, too, would choose Hollywood Park.

I feel the area is the most serene of the 3. Further inland. Closer to the bike trail and nature preserve.

But what do I know?

Old 02-19-2021, 01:22 PM

616 posts, read 249,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Hollywood Park would be my choice.
I agree with this recommendation.

Hollywood Park is a neighborhood within the North Park community area.

North Park/Hollywood Park is a stronghold of the Orthodox Jewish community, along with many newer immigrant groups to the area, including Hispanics, Middle Eastern people, Koreans, and some southeast Europeans.

The area is home to 3 institutions of higher learning: North Park University, Northeastern Illinois University, and the Telshe Yeshiva.

WTTW (Ch. 11) has its headquarters in North Park in the Chicago Production Center.

The closest L station serving this area is the Kimball Ave. Brown Line terminal.

I had a close friend who lived in North Park for many years, and he enjoyed his time in this diverse and safe area.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:34 PM

Yeah I was a bit tired and pressured when I wrote this last night. So let me elaborate this a little more:

-2 able body, healthy adults in their 60's
-Want WALKABILITY. Proximity to the big city (Chicago)
-Affordability (Which the units obviously have)
-Will have a car but will want to take the L.
-Frequent the airport and trips, so within 20-25 minutes of the airport (40 in traffic) is good.
-Safe to walk around.

The areas look nice enough. But they remind me a lot of East Boston, diverse, relatively safe, could be rough in some areas, but generally nice. Could anyone draw that comparison to Eastie in Boston or perhaps even Quincy MA?

The architecture is stunning, the walkability is great, the locations of both of these are superb.'

Anyone familiar with Rogers Park? Is it really all that bad? Is it safe to walk around in the evenings/nights?

Old 02-19-2021, 05:47 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,092,807 times
If they want the L than they need to be on the eastern edge closer to the lake. So Morse makes the most sense in that circumstance. I would say morse is better to be off of than jarvis/howard. Hollywood park as I mentioned is nice and its definitely walkable but nowhere near a train line

Getting to the Ohare in 40 minutes from the lake might be a little ambitious though depending on traffic. During off hours it's definitely doable. 20 minutes, no way , you'd need to be far further west

Old 02-19-2021, 06:09 PM

They each have their own pros and cons, which are both tradeoffs.. its tough. but at long as its not really bad where you cant walk around at night..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago