U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 02:22 AM

3 posts, read 310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
Since diversity is code for non-white, your hard-earned money might go even further in relatively safe neighborhoods like Albany Park and Uptown. You could even consider the neighboring town of Cicero, which is mostly Hispanic. Lincoln Park is majority white and very expensive, but it’s been over a decade since I’ve been there.

Good luck with the big move, baby nation. Chicago is a great city.
If someone wants Lincoln Park type neighborhood, Cicero is NOT a place I'd recommend. Might as well recommend Melrose Park or West Humboldt Park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 08:13 AM

2,588 posts, read 999,209 times
Don Coccino, good morning,

Could you give me some insight on Melrose Park, please? I have gone as far west as Elmwood Park, but I do not think I ever went further west into Melrose Park.

I understand that many Italians had settled there. And that later, Hispanics had branched out there. Other than that, I do not know much about it.

Thank you.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Don Coccino, good morning,

Could you give me some insight on Melrose Park, please? I have gone as far west as Elmwood Park, but I do not think I ever went further west into Melrose Park.

I understand that many Italians had settled there. And that later, Hispanics had branched out there. Other than that, I do not know much about it.

Thank you.
Working class Hispanic suburb with modest ranch type houses. Haven't been there in awhile but I don't think many Italians still live there, though last I heard they dominate local government. I've always viewed it as a blah suburb, nondescript.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:53 PM

2,588 posts, read 999,209 times
Don Coccino, thank you for the update.

So it's not worth visiting for me, most likely.

Thank you.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:48 PM

29 posts, read 10,825 times
Fun and exciting move! Where are you coming from in NYC...that will help give a frame of reference potentially? I grew up in Chicago, live here now, and have also lived in NYC.

Honestly, this may come off as judgey and I don't mean to offend anyone at all, I am also happy to be corrected / updated as my knowledge of some of these area is years old. I think honesty is important and I think it is hard to judge neighborhoods from afar - I am also just speaking from my personal experience as a white female.

I would really encourage you to visit Lakeview / Lincoln Park. I have lived in both (in multiple parts) and went to Lincoln Park High School which was a petri dish for racial and social inequality in the area. At face value it is "diverse" but all of the black and brown kids that weren't wealthy got straight up left behind at Lincoln Park High School. While they have an incredible IB / honors program, most of the students in those programs were white and all of the "regulars" classes were almost exclusively black/brown. It was appalling being there as a student (granted this was 10yrs ago) but I literally heard racist remarks come straight from teacher's mouths and the good teachers were very overwhelmed.

Some of Lincoln Park is really bougie, and in a snotty way in my experience. The closer you get to Old Town, the yuppier it is. It reminds me of Park Slope. The West part of the neighborhood near Clybourn IMO is most down to earth. But I would not consider it an ethnically diverse neighborhood compared to other parts of Chicago. It is also expensive. However has great amenities, great access to restaurants, parks / lakefront and transportation.

Lakeview is also majority white, but more lowkey /less expensive than LP. Similar benefits w/ amenities and both areas are pretty safe. There are nice residential areas and you can find a nice old school Chicago apartment in your budget. East Lakeview has a different vibe, so does Wrigleyville (near Addison)- they are technically different neighborhoods...in those areas you will get more partying, drunk frat bros..Belmont also used to have a lot of prostitutes at night when I lived there but maybe that has changed (I lived there 5-10yrs and another stint 15yrs ago.) It isn't unsafe, I lived there as a kid but just so you know what you are getting into. Western Lakeview is quieter. The border between Lakeview and Lincoln Park is also pretty nice and less expensive (near Diversey). Granted ALL of these areas are quiet and tame compared so many parts of NYC.

If I were in your shoes - I would check out Hyde Park / Kenwood / Bronzeville too. You will need a good realtor to steer you away from dicey parts (I'd personally stay east of Ellis, maybe even Woodlawn depending on where you are) and public schools can be hit or miss. I lived in Hyde Park as a kid, and went to magnet schools near UIC / medical district. I went to Andrew Jackson Language Academy and almost went to Skinner. It was an incredibly diverse school and I am grateful for the experience I had there. Hyde Park and Kenwood are racially more integrated than many other parts of Chicago. There is a strong black community in both areas, and especially Bronzeville which has experienced a renaissance in the last decade. I loved growing up in Hyde Park - huge green spaces, I went to activities at the YMCA in Woodlawn, my friends were a very balanced mix of socio-economic/racial/cultural backgrounds. No place is perfect...but it is also a beautiful area. It can be isolated from the rest of the city, and University of Chicago has a weird dominant power over the area but with that comes free concerts and events which I went to with my parents to a lot as a kid. Ray School has improved over the years (neighborhood school) and Laboratory School (affiliated w UChicago) is best in class, but only if you can afford it. Kenwood High School had a of problems when I was a kid and fights would happen regularly...but now we are talking 20yrs+ ago. I have no clue what it is like anymore.

Last thing - Rogers Park is also very integrated and has a cool, down to earth vibe. I know very little about schools there, but it is a great neighborhood. There are some sketchy parts (honestly there are weird parts of most neighborhoods in Chicago, even if it is just a sliver - it is not like NYC crime wise - if you get a bad vibe trust your gut)

Good luck OP.

Old Today, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 2,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annagene12 View Post
Fun and exciting move! Where are you coming from in NYC...that will help give a frame of reference potentially?
Good luck OP.
Thanks for the detailed reply. We are coming from Brooklyn in the Park Slope area. So it is interesting that Lincoln Park and surroundings has some similarity with Park Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago