Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 06:20 PM

169 posts, read 166,031 times

Advertisements

Wherever you move....look for private institutions as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 11:16 PM

410 posts, read 630,122 times
Lincoln Park and Lakeview schools are pretty good especially for the city. Personally, I don't see diversity to be too much an issue, but I was schooled in a fairly white suburban area, so many places in the city would beat my childhood school district.

It is possible to find a 2 bedroom in both neighborhoods at your budget. As someone said, they will be vintage, but it's not impossible. You can at least snag a unit that has been rehabbed recently.

Someone else mentioned Jefferson Park. The schools there are solid up to the high school level. Albeit not as high as Lincoln Park quality.

I am not an expert on public schools in Chicago, but you can find good elementary schools. I think generally things get harder in high school. There are few truly public schools that score well on the litmus test. Your children sound young so you should have a head start in regards to that. Many with the means opt for magnet or private. Many also go to the suburbs.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:02 AM

4,487 posts, read 4,546,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Ivory Lee, I appreciate your support.

We all come from different backgrounds and perspectives. I was only trying to promote cohesion and to be strength based.

If I failed that in someone's eyes, then I guess I failed.

Thank you again for sharing your words.
It's all good. I know what it's like to say something and then later wish I hadn't said it. It's real easy to do.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 AM

4,620 posts, read 3,172,015 times
Ivory Lee Spurlock,

Keep the positivity flowing!

I hope the OP stays in touch and finds their ideal neighborhood and home!!

Old 02-22-2021, 10:54 AM

188 posts, read 206,277 times
OP,

Why don’t you post the names of the schools you are looking at and people can give feedback?

Are you looking at private? CPS? Magnet schools? neighborhood schools?

Old 02-22-2021, 12:13 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,153,530 times
Even though Lincoln Park is about 80% white non hispanic, Lincoln Park high school is very racially/ethnically diverse and is considered high performing as far as non-private and non magnet public schools. You could also look into Kenwood or Hyde Park. Kenwood Academy seems decent and mostly black (85%) enrollment.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:57 PM

8 posts, read 6,408 times
Thanks everyone for you reply. It's all so helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
OP,

Why don’t you post the names of the schools you are looking at and people can give feedback?

Are you looking at private? CPS? Magnet schools? neighborhood schools?
Right now for public: Lincoln elementary, Burley elementary and Blaine elementary seems great. I think any of those three would be OK? These would be all neighborhood schools.

For private, it would seem religious institution are good. 'Anything' in Lincoln/Lake view and surroundings has good online reviews (a lot of Blue Ribbons). I have heard that St Helen in Ukrainian Village is also OK.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,785,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_nation View Post
Thanks everyone for you reply. It's all so helpful.

Right now for public: Lincoln elementary, Burley elementary and Blaine elementary seems great. I think any of those three would be OK? These would be all neighborhood schools.

For private, it would seem religious institution are good. 'Anything' in Lincoln/Lake view and surroundings has good online reviews (a lot of Blue Ribbons). I have heard that St Helen in Ukrainian Village is also OK.
Agree with most of the comments that IMO Lincoln Park would probably be the best bet. Likely the best public schools in the city and there are lots of good private/Catholic schools in the area. As mentioned, there will be less Latinos and Blacks in this neighborhood, but it’s Chicago so you’ll still see a good amount of diversity. But the real jewel is have the beautiful Lincoln Park nearby for greenery/nature. I like Ukrainian Village but I would miss having some nature or at least the water.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:29 PM

1,052 posts, read 445,863 times
Quote:
Hi all. Our plan is to move to Chicago soon with 2 elementary school age kids. School will be a priority and as per online searches we've found that certain schools in Lincoln Park and New Lake are worth exploring. The neighborhoods also seem to be a great way to transition from NYC. We consider $2,000 for a 2 bedroom as the highest we would be willing to go (after all this is NYC for us right now).

However, we're also learning that diversity in these areas and schools might not be ideal. So, I would really appreciate some pointers as what could be a perfect combination of area/school/diversity with school a real concern.

Thanks
Where in NYC do you currently live? There are many neighborhoods in Chicago that closely mirror certain NYC neighborhoods in terms of demographics, housing stock, etc. if you're looking for a similar experience

Old 02-25-2021, 11:42 PM

305 posts, read 210,640 times
Quote:
Hi all. Our plan is to move to Chicago soon with 2 elementary school age kids. School will be a priority and as per online searches we've found that certain schools in Lincoln Park and New Lake are worth exploring. The neighborhoods also seem to be a great way to transition from NYC. We consider $2,000 for a 2 bedroom as the highest we would be willing to go (after all this is NYC for us right now).

However, we're also learning that diversity in these areas and schools might not be ideal. So, I would really appreciate some pointers as what could be a perfect combination of area/school/diversity with school a real concern.

Thanks
Since diversity is code for non-white, your hard-earned money might go even further in relatively safe neighborhoods like Albany Park and Uptown. You could even consider the neighboring town of Cicero, which is mostly Hispanic. Lincoln Park is majority white and very expensive, but it’s been over a decade since I’ve been there.

Good luck with the big move, baby nation. Chicago is a great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago