U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 11:12 AM

7 posts, read 1,644 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Our plan is to move to Chicago soon with 2 elementary school age kids. School will be a priority and as per online searches we've found that certain schools in Lincoln Park and New Lake are worth exploring. The neighborhoods also seem to be a great way to transition from NYC. We consider $2,000 for a 2 bedroom as the highest we would be willing to go (after all this is NYC for us right now).

However, we're also learning that diversity in these areas and schools might not be ideal. So, I would really appreciate some pointers as what could be a perfect combination of area/school/diversity with school a real concern.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 06:21 PM

12,287 posts, read 3,638,344 times
My best advice is steer clear of Chicago Public Schools. Black and brown kids suffer the most.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:40 PM

2,566 posts, read 989,520 times
And my best advice: Black, Brown, whatever: tell your kids you love them, teach them to have self-respect, teach them to respect others, encourage them to get as much education as possible, teach them about empathy and sympathy. They will be ok wherever they go and whatever their skin color, hair color, etc.is.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
And my best advice: Black, Brown, whatever: tell your kids you love them, teach them to have self-respect, teach them to respect others, encourage them to get as much education as possible, teach them about empathy and sympathy. They will be ok wherever they go and whatever their skin color, hair color, etc.is.
Same advice to you: tell your kids you love them, teach them to have self-respect, teach them to respect others, encourage them to get as much education as possible, teach them about empathy and sympathy.

I am not looking for parenting advice! If you need some I can give plenty to you.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:13 PM

Nice chatting.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:14 PM

13,216 posts, read 19,559,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_nation View Post
Hi all. Our plan is to move to Chicago soon with 2 elementary school age kids. School will be a priority and as per online searches we've found that certain schools in Lincoln Park and New Lake are worth exploring. The neighborhoods also seem to be a great way to transition from NYC. We consider $2,000 for a 2 bedroom as the highest we would be willing to go (after all this is NYC for us right now).

However, we're also learning that diversity in these areas and schools might not be ideal. So, I would really appreciate some pointers as what could be a perfect combination of area/school/diversity with school a real concern.

Thanks
I live with my family in Jefferson Park on the blue line. We have decent schools. Yes , it is CPS. Beaubien and Farnsworth elementary school and Taft HS.
We are planning on buying a house next year, and we are currently renting. We pay 1400 for a 1200 sq foot apartment in a 3 flat. It's old but charming I guess. Kids can walk to school by themselves. We have 2 Metra stops within walking distance, Jeff Park CTA station and 2 freeway entrances 90/94.

I think Lincoln Park will be hard to find a 2 bedroom for 2000 dollars.

Anyways. Good Luck whatever you chose.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think Lincoln Park will be hard to find a 2 bedroom for 2000 dollars.
Thanks so much. We will have a look. We do fear that right now, the only reason Lincoln Park seems to be a possibility is because rents are down due to the pandemic. Makes planning very difficult!

Old 02-20-2021, 08:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Nice chatting.
I'm always suspicious of the motives of posters who have only a couple posts under their belt and talking about moving to another city and are concerned about diversity. That person's 2nd post on CD Forum was un-necessarrily rude to you and that makes me even more suspicious of that person's motives.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:57 PM

Ivory Lee, I appreciate your support.

We all come from different backgrounds and perspectives. I was only trying to promote cohesion and to be strength based.

If I failed that in someone's eyes, then I guess I failed.

Thank you again for sharing your words.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I'm always suspicious of the motives of posters who have only a couple posts under their belt and talking about moving to another city and are concerned about diversity. That person's 2nd post on CD Forum was un-necessarrily rude to you and that makes me even more suspicious of that person's motives.
I get your suspicions and I don't mean to be rude. My apologies if it appears so. Moving cities, when you have young children and when you hear how schools can be in shambles is nerve racking.

The assumptions that I would not teach my children all these basic values is also very rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago