Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 09:37 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

Advertisements

This is a sister thread to the one in Milwaukee asking any parts of Milwaukee remind you of Chicago, while the two are vastly different there are some similar. Just curious of a Chicagoan's perspective of this. Obviously this has to be someone who is familiar with both. There was one Chicago poster who said the Humboldt Park and Milwaukee's Lincoln Village feel the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 10:36 AM

4,647 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Milwaukee City. Good morning. I'm excited to see the responses here. I'm actually surprised I MYSELF never posted this question on the Chicago forum! (THAT'S what you get, since you tried to volunteer me to do it .

I like that you called it a sister thread. After all, we're all family. And it's awesome to see a fellow Milwaukeean in the Chicago chats!!

For those who haven't read our discussion in the Milwaukee thread, I commented that many houses in the neighborhood just north of me, the Alverno College neighborhood, have a ton of houses that always remind me of the moderate areas of Forest Glen.

Sometimes when I miss my Chicago, I go over there and go for a walk or ride my bicycle. Also, there's a church where I've taught Tae Kwon Do for many year, in its basement.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:30 AM

103 posts, read 151,071 times
I always thought the sections of Wauwatosa with all the Georgian homes reminded me of the North Park neighborhood in Chicago, but also strongly feels like parts of the Ashburn neighborhood between 79th and 83rd, Western and California.

Milwaukee and Chicago have always felt exactly the same to me. Even the way they are set up. Milwaukee's north suburbs like Shorewood remind me of the north shore, especially with the same Lake Shore Drive feeling you get when you drive north of downtown. Milwaukees south suburbs kind of remind me of our inner ring south suburbs like Evergreen Park.

The downtown area reminds me of some areas in the loop, especially the old architectural styles.

It's basically the same city, same architecture for residential areas, the lake, the river that runs downtown, etc...

I haven't been all over Milwaukee but i've been to the areas near Wauwatosa, Downtown, Brewers Hill, East Side, Shorewood,
The Rave for concerts, Marquette university campus.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:01 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Shorewood, definitely reminds me a bit of the north shore and even parts of Whitefish Bay that’s closer to the lake share resemblance.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:09 AM

dlong1991, good morning.

Wauwatosa is a rather vast area. But I certainly can see where you say sections of it are North Park-like.

Ashburn is a neighborhood I am not familiar with (and YES, I have GOT TO take my SOUTH side of Chicago trip soon. I may do it when I do not have the kids. I do not want to keep them in the car for too long on trip # 1 while I am driving around aimlessly).

Driving down Green Bay Road in the northern suburbs, I certainly see why you see it resembles YOUR north suburbs.

Our northern suburbs from Shorewood to Mequon are known for it's Jewish residents, and it is indeed the same for your northern burbs.

Interesting parallel.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:14 AM

noid_1985, good morning.

I was trying to think what your area of Galewood might be like, in Milwaukee.

Galewood has a mostly Black population to its east, and mostly a White population to its west.

Hmm... In THAT sense, I would say Galewood is akin to an eastern end of Wauwatosa.

I think you know I am a fan of your hood! I was not toooo far from you on Sunday. I got my dad out of Wisconsin for the day, and I took him to eat at Bar Tucci. What a great place. Very Italian section there, called Piazza Italia.

I DO recommend!

Old 03-02-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
noid_1985, good morning.

I was trying to think what your area of Galewood might be like, in Milwaukee.

Galewood has a mostly Black population to its east, and mostly a White population to its west.

Hmm... In THAT sense, I would say Galewood is akin to an eastern end of Wauwatosa.

I think you know I am a fan of your hood! I was not toooo far from you on Sunday. I got my dad out of Wisconsin for the day, and I took him to eat at Bar Tucci. What a great place. Very Italian section there, called Piazza Italia.

I DO recommend!
Greetings sir, the last time I was in Wauwatosa was probably in 2016 where I visited Huis Cantonese I believe. Didn’t have much time to explore the rest of the town that day.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:01 AM

noid_1985, top of the morning, Sir.

Yes, Hui's is decent, I used to own a Tae Kwon Do school (dojang) very close to there, on the corner of 92nd and Center.

Next to Hui's is Lalli's Pizza, which is also very god.

Next time you come to the city, make a shout out to Master Jay. I'll show you around.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
noid_1985, top of the morning, Sir.

Yes, Hui's is decent, I used to own a Tae Kwon Do school (dojang) very close to there, on the corner of 92nd and Center.

Next to Hui's is Lalli's Pizza, which is also very god.

Next time you come to the city, make a shout out to Master Jay. I'll show you around.
Good deal!

Old 03-02-2021, 09:56 AM

P.S. That was supposed to say that the pizza at Lalli's is "good." No time for heresy!

Speaking of Chinese food, take a look at Golden Gate in Waukesha, the county to our west. Their food was voted, at one time or two, being in the top# 10 in the country! And I do AGREE!!!! And just focusing on TASTE, I must agree. In fact, as much as I love Moon Palace in Chinatown (which is also more Americanized, in my opinion), but Golden Gate here is dy-no-mite!

The other Chinese fave of mine is in my neighborhood, and it is called China Hut. More of that "hole in the wall" look, but boy can they cook!!!

We do not have a Chinatown. The closest you'll find is a strip mall just west of 108th Street (Highway 100) and W. National Avenue. Our Hmong population tends to populate our older and oft-less economically well areas, both on the north side (predominate Black) and the south side (which is very much like a Rogers Park or Albany Park, because these days it is very much blended: 1/4 White, 1/4 Black, 1/4 Asian, and 1/3 Hispanic; say, 10 years ago and more, however, it was 1/2 White and 1/2 Hispanic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago