U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 11:25 AM

5,838 posts, read 2,775,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Of course UChicago may be a huge leader in advancing theory and practice, but again, I wonder what a quantum computing "industry"/jobs generator looks like. Any leadership in theory and practice would quickly disperse to other data center-heavy areas in the nation, of which they are dozens. It's a bit like being a leader in "marketing" or "labor law." It may be possible as an academic specialty for awhile, but the principles are easily adoptable everywhere. Not seeing where the industry is (and honestly, I could be thinking about this all wrong, but would love someone to point this out).
Right, I don't disagree with any of this. But the original article I posted stated that Chicagoland is becoming a draw for large Data Centers for where this talent would be utilized. If it wasn't for this point, I would completely agree with you (you can have an academic center that trains people and then they leave for greener pastures). I think the intriguing part to me, more so than anything to do with whether UChicago is a leader, is if Chicagoland becomes a hub for datacenters that employ this technology. Then it could potentially recruit top tech talent with this skillset from across the Nation.

TBH, I don't know the industry well enough to know what the "industry/jobs" look like. I believe this is a newer field.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 12:34 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,738,603 times
Data Centers rely on a few key things which Chicago seems to fill quite well!

1) Land
Chicago real estate is fairly cheap, especially as you enter out into the far suburbs or rural towns outside of IL. See Facebook is opening a data center in Dekalb: https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...hky-story.html)

2) Cold
There are many creative ways to achieve keeping your data center chilled. One is using raw electricity. Another is using water based cooling (Lake Michigan?!). OR perhaps there are opportunities for using our chilly winters to lend a hand!

3) Electricity
Electricity in IL is actually quite reliable. Since IL invested in Nuclear energy we have an abundance of electricity that can be provided a fairly cheap rates. Illinois leads the nation in electricity generation from nuclear power plants so our costs are 7% below average. This equates to large savings for anyone looking to build here.

It goes without mentioning that IL is largely protected from most natural disasters (except tornados). We are also well protected from foreign interference given our central location within the states. I think all of these things are key contributors to IL being targeted for this sort of investment.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 1,230,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Data Centers rely on a few key things which Chicago seems to fill quite well!

1) Land
Chicago real estate is fairly cheap, especially as you enter out into the far suburbs or rural towns outside of IL. See Facebook is opening a data center in Dekalb: https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...hky-story.html)

2) Cold
There are many creative ways to achieve keeping your data center chilled. One is using raw electricity. Another is using water based cooling (Lake Michigan?!). OR perhaps there are opportunities for using our chilly winters to lend a hand!

3) Electricity
Electricity in IL is actually quite reliable. Since IL invested in Nuclear energy we have an abundance of electricity that can be provided a fairly cheap rates. Illinois leads the nation in electricity generation from nuclear power plants so our costs are 7% below average. This equates to large savings for anyone looking to build here.

It goes without mentioning that IL is largely protected from most natural disasters (except tornados). We are also well protected from foreign interference given our central location within the states. I think all of these things are key contributors to IL being targeted for this sort of investment.
The bolded is an often unappreciated point. If we go ahead with decarbonization then Illinois (nuclear) and Washington state (hydro) will be the electricity kings. Industry in general needs electricity, although data centers are particularly voracious.

Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM

15,075 posts, read 27,759,466 times
While Chicago might not be looked at as "cheap" to Middle America at large, it is as far as folks in Palo Alto are concerned.

The reputation for tech isn't necessarily there, no, but the West Loop once had a reputation for meatpacking and not new tech companies. Things can and do change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The bolded is an often unappreciated point. If we go ahead with decarbonization then Illinois (nuclear) and Washington state (hydro) will be the electricity kings. Industry in general needs electricity, although data centers are particularly voracious.
Having watched the power grid fiasco in my former home of Texas, it's far from underappreciated here.

In just short of two years in this spot (also in Avondale) I have maybe lost power for 10 seconds during one big thunderstorm. Didn't lose power in this last big snow. Didn't lose it in the derecho this summer. That was the heaviest wind I've been around since I rode out Hurricane Ike in Houston.

Old Today, 12:45 AM

1,794 posts, read 2,497,341 times
Problem is, data centers hardly create any jobs:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article...o-small-towns/
They do bring pretty good tax revenue, though.

Old Today, 09:13 AM

5,838 posts, read 2,775,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Yeah, that's what I kind of suspected, and why I'm a little cautious about thinking this would have the ability to booster Chicago as a "tech" hub. I seems like there are nice intangible benefits, but it may be overly optimistic to think this will transform Chicago on a national/global scale.

Old Today, 09:28 AM

15,075 posts, read 27,759,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Considering we need tax revenue more than anything, good.

Unlike the small towns in that article, we already have a large and highly diversified economy. No one single industry pulls the cart here. Bay Area's too tech-heavy, Houston's too oil/gas heavy, NYC's too finance-heavy to give three examples of what we're not. Even if data centers aren't employing hundreds or thousands like an Amazon warehouse, it's higher-quality jobs, and generate money here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago