Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 08:48 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This ^^^

As a 20-something year old. We are waiting. Many of my friends are renting in the suburbs, but all, yes all, are going right back to the urban cores of cities from NYC, Boston and Chicago to smaller ones like Syracuse, Hartford, New Haven and dense-urban/suburban areas with lots to do around.

It may be different in cohorts above 28 y/o. But young people between 20-27 are going stir crazy in the Plainville's and Meadow Acres.

A reallly strong point to is people my age (~24-25) want dense urban cores with walkable restaurants and nightlife. However, a lot of these places traditionally are very expensive (NYC, Boston, SF, LA). However, cities like Chicago have become extremely intriguing to people my age (including me) because it checks off boxes. Its a fun vibrant city, its more affordable than the other large cities and it has a lot to offer (Nightlife, trains, friends, etc).

I think Chicago has entered the conversation for a lot of people. I really do think Chicago will grow in the early 2020s- mid 2020s. Once I get placement in 2023, I am requesting Chicago myself for these reasons. Im only one person, i know, but a lot are thinking like this.
Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing!

Old 03-21-2021, 10:23 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
This ^^^

As a 20-something year old. We are waiting. Many of my friends are renting in the suburbs, but all, yes all, are going right back to the urban cores of cities from NYC, Boston and Chicago to smaller ones like Syracuse, Hartford, New Haven and dense-urban/suburban areas with lots to do around.

It may be different in cohorts above 28 y/o. But young people between 20-27 are going stir crazy in the Plainville's and Meadow Acres.

A reallly strong point to is people my age (~24-25) want dense urban cores with walkable restaurants and nightlife. However, a lot of these places traditionally are very expensive (NYC, Boston, SF, LA). However, cities like Chicago have become extremely intriguing to people my age (including me) because it checks off boxes. Its a fun vibrant city, its more affordable than the other large cities and it has a lot to offer (Nightlife, trains, friends, etc).

I think Chicago has entered the conversation for a lot of people. I really do think Chicago will grow in the early 2020s- mid 2020s. Once I get placement in 2023, I am requesting Chicago myself for these reasons. Im only one person, i know, but a lot are thinking like this.
I do want to add, the only two things that will hold Chicago back are its perception of crime and weather in the winter. Taxes aren't really big thought for 21-29 year olds when the tradeoffs are 1/2-1/3 less in rent and lower transportation costs.

but if Chicago finds a way to lower its murder rate by about half in the next two-three years, it has a really good chance of inward migration. Imagine the news headlines that the amount of Murders are below 400? May still be high... but perception is what people want to see/hear. They dont do self research. Hearing crime is improving will make them think ''oh good'. Weather is subjective obviously.

But yeah, I think Chicago is in a good spot to attract younging to move there. It caught my eye. And I just wanted to explain in detail why.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:27 AM

732 posts, read 485,309 times
Well I don't see crime stats here dramatically dropping w/o drastic changes in on-the-ground politics, which ain't gonna happen. However, I don't see crime keeping you youngsters away either, though...especially in light of most of this crime happening in areas people aren't flocking to anyways.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:14 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Well I don't see crime stats here dramatically dropping w/o drastic changes in on-the-ground politics, which ain't gonna happen. However, I don't see crime keeping you youngsters away either, though...especially in light of most of this crime happening in areas people aren't flocking to anyways.
Its not going to 'keep young people away' for sure. But 10-25% of the cohort might think twice and not move to Chicago based off of what is displayed on media/news, the whole Chiraq thing.

If crime decreases and its noted, Chicago could maximize who moves there.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:02 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Its not going to 'keep young people away' for sure. But 10-25% of the cohort might think twice and not move to Chicago based off of what is displayed on media/news, the whole Chiraq thing.
Good for them. They're not cut out for this city in any case.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:31 PM

724 posts, read 403,650 times
Quote:

If crime decreases and its noted, Chicago could maximize who moves there.
The "whole Chriaq thing" has been around for almost a decade now and has not prevented young people from moving to the city. As someone who visits Chicago frequently and has family in Chicagoland, and as everyone knows, downtown Chicago and many of the popular neighborhoods that young people desire to live in, are not really impacted by "the whole Chiraq thing."

I think other things like weather, job opportunities, financial considerations (depending on your industry), and work considerations in major cities post-COVID, etc are more impactful on people's decisions on whether to move to Chicago than "the whole Chiraq thing."

Old 03-22-2021, 01:56 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I would recommend NYC wholeheartedly. NOW is the time to snag a low rent in a prime area. Things are absolutely open. No it's not the same but you'll still have the experience of living in NY. Give it a try for a year or so. Prolly not see rental prices like these any time soon. You'll be able to walk or bike everywhere. No need for a car. You can always UBER to not be concerned about taking the trains. Try East Village -$1900 for a studio; maybe even Brooklyn - Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill -$1500-2000 studio/1 bedroom.

I am a native Chicagoan living elsewhere and go to NY fairly often. I think you will love it. While Chicago is of course per Daley, " A world class city." NY is an entirely different animal. The quintessential city. Surprisingly helpful down to earth people of all colors. A treasure on just about every corner. Exquisitely formed, yet entirely gritty and beautiful.
This^ is on point.

Chicago is an amazing city and offers a "very big city" lifestyle with a cosmopolitan flair in the midwest.

NYC is on another level. Diverse, massive, international and cosmopolitan, vibrant and growing.

NYC has 8.4 million, Chicago has 2.8 million. Both are large cities, but NYC is one of the best huge cities in the world.

NYC is coming back well and things are opening up fast.

I'd recommend you look at both cities seriously: going back to Chicago or moving to New York City.

Prices are lower here in NYC on rentals now, so you can snag an incredible deal. But people are starting to come back fast.

Old 03-22-2021, 04:23 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,479 times
NYC as so far superior serves little purpose for the thread. All are not cut out for NYC super-densities. Cost still will remain high. Deals last only so long. Some in Chicago even moved within the city and neighborhood to snare some deals and free months rents etc.

Chicago never bills itself as competing with Might NYC or a mini-NYC you can settle for as some concelation prize some may infer?

If anything.... It is Philly that bills itself as a mini-NYC and the great cheaper choice still close to NYC to get your fix as needed. Chicago is Chicago and does not see itself as if a NYC's lil bro. That is Philly IMO.

I see Chicago as having a better level of density and its totally own identity even in its own state. I saw no links of stats that showed a NYC migration to Chicago? Though I have read much on that in the Philly forum and a come-on-down even hope from NYC.

Chicago still will have a huge pull from its own region. Sadly, real and worst winters as the upper Midwest are its worst scourge from more West migrations and from the East in general.

If young and ones professional dream and hope is NYC? Only they can choose if the time is right in a next career move. I just think if it is seen as just SETTLING for Chicago as oh well.... At least I know the city? Is really not the right reason unless a second time's truly the charm. Still being young and not tied down. A even future move can always be made. No place will be perfect. Just a LUV for a city is key to fulfilling dreams also. Too many especially if a New Yorker .... see Chicago as still settling and a bit inferior choice inferred by their post. I do not see it as such. Again, CHI is not a NYC sibling or the less liked red-headed step-child either. No city should be. Chicago clearly clearly has its own personality as does NYC or a Philly.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
I wrote a long post (as is my style) and realized that I could shed the whole thing. The central point was this: Why is it that you only have contacts when you need them least?

Employment is the least of my concerns. If I lost my job today, I would have one tomorrow.

So is it worth moving back? Yes, if you have connections. It's impossible to say otherwise how economic opportunity will be redistributed-- is being redistributed right now-- given the historical anomaly we just lived through.

So if you want the advice of an old broad who's been punted from one corner of the globe to another? Always, always, always remember your fundamentals: opportunity exists where people exist; opportunity is directly proportional to population; finally, this.

The center was not holding. One of Yeats' most famous poems. About a century later we have Joan Didion telling us of how the center was not holding in Slouching Towards Bethlehem. All I mean to say is, the center never holds and the widening gyre is always widening. You (the OP) need to decide to invest in one area. Job hopping, location changes, they leave you without anything built up.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:14 AM

732 posts, read 485,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Good for them. They're not cut out for this city in any case.
They soft!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago