Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 01:10 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coccino View Post
Once Covid ends the city will come back in a big way. There is a lot of pent up desire to go out. Young people have basically put their life on hold for one year. Once restrictions are lifted they are going to go crazy. 20 year olds are not going to want to hang out in the suburbs. I've traveled all across the midwest and can tell you that no place compares to Chicago. Small cities, towns, and suburbs are just plain boring, and I'm a married guy with kids. Generation Z are going to flock to cities, trust me. You heard it here first folks. The naysayers are just boomers who don't go out anymore.
The city is alive and well. This forum is full of the glass half empty crowd, but if real estate is any indication, prices in Chicago proper are way up and inventory waaay down. Everything will open up to normalcy. The city will get past this in a good way.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:47 AM

226 posts, read 588,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The city is alive and well. This forum is full of the glass half empty crowd, but if real estate is any indication, prices in Chicago proper are way up and inventory waaay down. Everything will open up to normalcy. The city will get past this in a good way.
There are lots of Chicago real estate markets: for high-rise vs. mid-rise vs. single family home, etc. and Loop vs. Northside vs. Far Northside vs. West Loop, vs... (you get the picture ). Some of these markets are doing well (as are urban markets across the country), some are limping along, and some are still dead (e.g., high-rise Loop). Certainly, Chicago will get past this but it will probably be a very different city with new centers of growth and pockets of continuing decline. Again, I think the same can be said for most cities that have taken a hit in the pandemic.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 5,147 times
People who think cities are forever dead are probably older folks who find the suburbs more appealing anyways. They were already living there and now that they don't have to commute into the city, they think there's no point of the city at all.

But young people are still itching to get back and out into urban environments. A lot of businesses closed permanently but young people will be crying for more nightlife spots again and new bars and clubs will emerge.

Summer 2022 will be interesting.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks404 View Post
People who think cities are forever dead are probably older folks who find the suburbs more appealing anyways. They were already living there and now that they don't have to commute into the city, they think there's no point of the city at all.

But young people are still itching to get back and out into urban environments. A lot of businesses closed permanently but young people will be crying for more nightlife spots again and new bars and clubs will emerge.

Yes. It will be Summer 2022 at the earliest before things "open up" to the degree to resemble any normalcy from pre-pandemic life.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:43 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks404 View Post

Not forever dead, but transitioning into something different due to the increase of remote work. The city will become less corporate business oriented and more residential as people who yearn to live in a dense urban environment move in and businesses downsize or close their offices. It's a win-win, corporations will save a ton of money on office space/overhead and employees will be able to live/work wherever they want in the future.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:25 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Not forever dead, but transitioning into something different due to the increase of remote work. The city will become less corporate business oriented and more residential as people who yearn to live in a dense urban environment move in and businesses downsize or close their offices. It's a win-win, corporations will save a ton of money on office space/overhead and employees will be able to live/work wherever they want in the future.
People are afraid of this reality because it will change city life as we know it. Downtown corporate business and the weekday hustle and bustle associated with it is a hallmark of big city life. People don't want to imagine a life without it, which is why there have been ardent comments on this thread that people are crazy to think that remote work is here to stay, and that people (white collar) will be shocked when everything returns to normal in a few months.

I fall somewhere in between. I don't think there will be a mass exodus of businesses shutting down offices and abandoning buildings, but I do think remote work (in some capacity) is here to stay. I forsee a hybrid model where people telework for half of the week and people go into the office for the other half. Some level of in-person is healthy, but the efficiency (including gains in cutting commuting) can't be ignored. People are kidding themselves if they think that everyone is going to be back in the office full-time again. The potential of remote work was realized, and will exist in some capacity from here on out. Again, I personally don't believe it will be full-time for the vast majority of people though.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:40 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Maybe I am wrong, and am willing to admit it if I am:

But in my opinion, after a year now, I feel we should put the power in the individual's hands and allow people to make their own decisions.

If people want to wear masks or not: THEIR CHOICE

If people want to go into establishments or not: THEIR CHOICE

If people want to shake hands with others or not: THEIR CHOICE

If people want to stay in their homes/ drive alone in their car with a mask on, or not: THEIR CHOICE.

People need to get outside, definitely to get exercise, fresh air, and get out the pent up stress that takes an emotional and possibly physical toll.

What do I know???? This is a new phenomenon for all of us.
I would agree, except that I can't any more. A family friend took exactly the approach you are describing. Got covid, and before knowing he had it, he gave it to his wife, when he came home in the evening - back in October. She was in the hospital on oxygen for 2 months. Got out, but she is not the same any more. Most of her hair has fallen out. She can't function properly, can't even walk across her kitchen holding a pot of soup without loosing her balance. She was super careful all along. Her husband wasn't, and ruined her life. I would be so angry with that SoB. Selfish and stupid, for all I care. He is fine, recovered and all.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:52 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
AAVC, good morning.

My apologies if I sounded insensitive. Stories like the one you shared are ALSO a reality of what is going on in this time.

I appreciate your sharing, although it is very unfortunate. I'm a bit at a loss for words... I'm glad they were able to persevere through an extremely terrible situation.

Here's to the best health for all of us; and a speedy recovery and peace for anyone affected or impacted.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:28 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
AAVC, good morning.

My apologies if I sounded insensitive. Stories like the one you shared are ALSO a reality of what is going on in this time.

I appreciate your sharing, although it is very unfortunate. I'm a bit at a loss for words... I'm glad they were able to persevere through an extremely terrible situation.

Here's to the best health for all of us; and a speedy recovery and peace for anyone affected or impacted.
Master Jay, thank you for your kind words. I know you didn't mean anything by your comments. We are all tired and worn out by it all. We are also wired to be hopeful and think positive, so it is hard to think of these unfortunate cases. The truth is, with this virus it can be ok, or it can be devastating. One never knows, it's a gamble. In this case, the husband got in a car w/ a friend (driver) and another friend. He wasn't wearing a mask - because, after all, he was among friends, and he didn't want to be inconvenienced by the mask during the ride. However, as it turned out, the driver's teenage son managed to get the virus and exposed his Dad. Symptoms, of course, came later. That's the way it goes... May we all stay healthy and watch out for one another, as hard as it is... Take care!

Old 04-14-2021, 10:53 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Folks, this thread is now closed. The thread turned into a general discussion of COVID-19 issues. I've deleted the most recent barrage of off-topic posts. Please remember which forum you're in when you post, and make your posts relevant to the forum and the topic presented in the opening post.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago