Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 11:40 AM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times

Advertisements

G in MP, is the MP for Mount Prospect?

The custard stand you are referencing I'm guessing is Leon's on S. 27th Street, near W. Oklahoma Avenue, in Milwaukee?

The VA hospital is on S. 43rd Street (aka known as Miller Parkway) and is near the Brewers Stadium. I live on S. 43rd Street, but further south near Alverno College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 03:19 PM

732 posts, read 485,811 times
Master Jay, yeh, Mount Prospect...that's where we lived when I joined city data. But since 2016 we've been farther out in unicorporated Barrington.

I googled Leon's, yeh I think that's it, but I'm not certain. It's been well over 20 years ago since last I had that deliciousness. I remember the place was southeast of the va hospital, but kind of remember it being a little closer.

Old 03-09-2021, 04:01 PM

G in MP. I've come close to Mount Prospect. I like to mixup my routes down to Chicago. Where 45 and 21 split is the northwest sliver of MP, I believe. Barrington? I'm not familiar.

Yes, Leon's is southeast of the VA and the only ice cream place I can think of in that area. It is the basis of Arnold's from Happy Days.

My favorite ice cream places in the city: Scooters in Lakeview, Scoops in Bridgeport, and this place in Edgebrook by the library. I believe it's called The Chocolate House.... and of course, Oberweis. They get their milk from Wisconsin and we don't even HAVE an Oberweis! Closest one is Gurnee.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
G in MP. I've come close to Mount Prospect. I like to mixup my routes down to Chicago. Where 45 and 21 split is the northwest sliver of MP, I believe. Barrington? I'm not familiar.

Yes, Leon's is southeast of the VA and the only ice cream place I can think of in that area. It is the basis of Arnold's from Happy Days.

My favorite ice cream places in the city: Scooters in Lakeview, Scoops in Bridgeport, and this place in Edgebrook by the library. I believe it's called The Chocolate House.... and of course, Oberweis. They get their milk from Wisconsin and we don't even HAVE an Oberweis! Closest one is Gurnee.
We're like 15 miles northwest of that split, southwest corner of lake county. I like WI though, it's a nice state you live in, very scenic.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:39 AM

885 posts, read 625,518 times
Quote:
G in MP, Lincoln Square in the area you are describing has really been developing.

There was a fire wood pizza place a bit more north of the area you are describing (I think it was called Boomer's if my good memory still serves me correctly), that I never had the pleasure to try. It laid abandoned for a while, and now it is completely demolished.

There are new condos already built along that stretch. I understand that on east side of the street, across from Walgreens, is planned to be leveled and/or redeveloped. On the corner is Jimmy's Cafe. I never had their pizza slices. Some say they are pretty good.

And to remember Shelley's Tasty Freeze? Sorry to say that that is gone. Now it is Rainbow Taco's. I have not tried it yet. Looks like I have another place to try out.

Your "greasy spoon" sounds like it would have been a fun place to get that after-bar-closed grub that takes 12 hours to digest! There IS a liquor store right in that section, also. Was THAT there, then?

McDonald's was torn down and I am sorry, it is obviously nice and brand new. But it does NOT have the warm vibe that the OLD one had. It reminds me of the new Barnes and Noble they put up in Vernon Hills when they took it out of the mall. it just does NOT have that warm and homey-feel to it. I am NOT a fan. And it takes a lot to disappoint me, sometimes.

I don't know if you read, but there are plans to redo that little area outside the McDonald's. So at least THAT part should be more pretty, and inviting.

An ex-girlfriend bought me a "Lincoln Square" t-shirt from the ENJOY Lincoln Square store. I better wear it next time I come down! I bring a group of friends that enjoy riding bicycles in Chicago. I get to be the day planner because I know different parts of the city. And Lincoln Square and Edison Park are areas that they fell in love with as easy as I did!
Master Jay:

I can recommend a restaurant which has become a staple of the dining scene in Lincoln Square. It's Luella's Southern Kitchen. The location is 4609 N. Lincoln Ave., which is just north of the intersection with Wilson Ave.

Among its many traditional offerings are shrimp and grits, macaroni and cheese, and chicken and waffles.

Its signature dish is She Crab Soup. This is a crab soup which is prepared using only female crabs.

I need to return here now that the dining restrctions have somewhat eased.

Last edited by Nearwest; 03-13-2021 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 11:52 AM

Nearwest, good day. Good to hear from you.

I have heard a lot of good reviews of Luellas! I should really go in there a day I have my kids!

Somewhere right near there was Tacos in a Bag, or Walking Tacos, or something like that. We went in there a couple of years ago. It is now closed.

I took the kids to Gurnee and then to Libertyville for ice cream yesterday. I may do a solo trip to Highwood today!!

Old 03-13-2021, 03:40 PM

606 posts, read 354,992 times
Quote:
Good morning, all!

I was just looking at a picture I took with a couple of friends from exactly one year ago today. We were hanging out at The Book Cellar and the Huettenbar. WHO would have known that that would be the last time I would be able to go to my beloved Chicago for some time! The city would close down that following week. My job would not allow us to cross the State line (I used to drive west and east on the border road, and wave south!)

I came down yesterday, starting in Lincoln Square. Since last year, Huettenbar is now closed. Book Cellar since re-opening is now closed Sundays. Yet, I had a great lunch at Garcia's, and a coffee from Oromo Cafe (glad to see those 2 places were able to persevere the pandemic). I sat in the Square by the German Lamp, and people watched for a while, while the sun was still out. I was a bit sad to look to my right to see Paciugo Gelato being closed (They closed during the pandemic, too, I believe?). And yet it was great to see the energy the residents still bring. The community. The indomitable spirit!

Next, onto Edison Park. Armand's is now Pizza Boy. Armand's was my kids' favorite pizza place. But I hear Pizza Boy gets excellent reviews, so something to look forward to. I was hoping to get to Tony's Deli before they closed. Since Covid, they have new hours, too. Don Juan now closed (relocating to Park Ridge in May, apparently). I looked inside the windows and could see the same table in the corner I used to take my then-girlfriend for coffee and dessert... Headed to Edison Park Inn and played a couple games of pool.

Finished the Chicago trip with a couple of friends from Skokie who introduced me to Psistaria on Touhy and Cicero. DYNAMITE Greek food, if anyone is looking for a recommendation. As always, never want to leave Chicago to come back to Milwaukee, but life must go on.

And so that is what I reflect on. Who would have known a year ago, as I sat there sipping that drink at Huettenbar, just how MUCH things would change! Closings, health tragedy in the world, re-openings for the fortunate establishments, masks, social distanced tables, etc.

We have adapted. Perhaps we have become stronger and more appreciative for what we have had to endure. As I said, just people watching and looking at the changes reminded me of where we have been and where we are able to go. Yet, we do it together!

Thank you, Chicago, for always being there. And for letting me share with you, this morning!

I think there is still in Armand's in River Forest on North Avenue. I agree, I loved Armand's pizza. There used to be one in the Wicker Park area, and I was sad when it closed. Would get the football sized pizzas for get togethers.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:58 PM

nap1313. How are you? Currently seated down to some delicious Italian food at Maria's Deli in Highwood!

I ate at an Armand's on Western Avenue. It is in the North Center neighborhood, I believe. Rather small. We also went a couple times to Armand's in Elmwood Park.

But Edison Park was our favorite!

So now, the kids and I have to try Pizza Boy. Perhaps all the good vibes inside, from the past, will carry on.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:10 PM

You guys, pizza though, did anybody have demenzo's on taylor by western, omg it was the bomb from what I remember. We used to hit that place all the time on the ambulance when we were in that area, for real never had better pizza. In the late 90s you'd get a big ass slice the size of your head and a can of coke for like 3 bux, it was crazy. It was a crazy good deal coz the pizza was so good! It was the go to place over there, like cops went there. Truly, that's how we ambulance guys found good places, it's where the cops ate.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:52 PM

G in MP. I do not know Demenzos. I know the area you speak of. I pass through everytime I head south on Western to Ignotz's on 24th and Oakley. I DO like their pizza!

That's my place! If you go, tell the staff Master Jay from Milwaukee sent you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago