Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 07:14 AM

606 posts, read 354,992 times

Advertisements

Seems like a lot of us on here are starting to take our first rides on CTA right about now. I too took my first ride on the blue line yesterday for the first time in over a year. There are a lot less people, but not as empty as I thought it would be. I also thought the loop would be pretty desolate, and while it is definitely a lot less crowded than normal, there were still more people than I thought there would be.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,581,918 times
I took the Blue line from LaSalle to California (Logan Square) yesterday evening. The derelicts and... I'll be nice and call them loudmouths really have carte blance more than ever.

If the city can't provide adequate security - uniformed, undercover, deputized civilians, city ambassadors, Guardian Angels, etc - then we'll just have more of the same uncomfortable situations if not chaos at times. It's very different today than a year ago.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:34 AM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times
I really wish there was an L that cut north and south from the northside to the south side, along Western Avenue, for example.

The handful of times I made my excursion from the northside to Ignotz Ristorante on 24th and Oakley takes me 3 trains. And timewise, it WOULD be faster to just do the drive.

Every once in a while, I do like to sightsee, so I DO take the 3 train ride. But a north-south train in the middle of the city would be ideal!

Old 03-31-2021, 09:36 AM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times
aaaaaand after submitting that, I just realized this SHOULD have gone in the post asking about a potential "circle line" of L trains.

Sorry about that.... Now, you people QUIT making similar posts!!!!

Old 03-31-2021, 10:30 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
Seems like a lot of us on here are starting to take our first rides on CTA right about now. I too took my first ride on the blue line yesterday for the first time in over a year. There are a lot less people, but not as empty as I thought it would be. I also thought the loop would be pretty desolate, and while it is definitely a lot less crowded than normal, there were still more people than I thought there would be.
Pink Line definitely seems like it's picking up. By May, when many employers require people to get back to work, they'll be more crowded, I'll guess.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:08 PM

504 posts, read 496,717 times
Investing near the L - I think its long term progression is inevitable

Old 04-02-2021, 11:42 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Pink Line definitely seems like it's picking up. By May, when many employers require people to get back to work, they'll be more crowded, I'll guess.
Yes, it will definitely be picking up soon. Although May may be a little early before companies start requiring people back for at least hybrid schedules. I honestly feel like it is more likely summer when the transition back will start and probably fall before it's officially "required." I also feel like the hybrid schedules may be here to stay for many companies (telework 2-3 days, in office 2-3 days).

Old 04-03-2021, 08:27 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
Investing near the L - I think its long term progression is inevitable
I agree. I apply the 1 Mile Rule - any property must be less than a mile from the L for me to even consider it. Closer the better. The hot market activity I'm seeing is too coincidentally along L corridors for me to think that the Covid will turn into anything other than a short term blip in the back to the city movement.

If you watch carefully, the articles and commentary predicting otherwise almost always come from the same usual conservative suspects.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:41 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
We've got a bunch of white collar suburban folks who think their way of life right now is going to be the norm for everyone. They have no idea. Somebody has to get to the Amazon warehouse to get worked like a machine so you can get deliveries of everything you need to your house. The fairy godmother didn't wave her wand and drop them on your porch.

Also, more likely than not, you're going back to the office sooner than later.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:01 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,581,918 times
Your last sentence is dead on. Full remote isn't happening in large scale to the degree we thought/hoped it may, and corporate is eager to bring back the arcane nonsense of in person. I hate it and am looking for jobs that are full remote, but for the time being things will go backwards. Covid just didn't last long enough for true cultural and institutional change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago