U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 04:20 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,102,431 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm coming to Chicago (healthy and almost vaccinated, but before 2 weeks after the second shot) soon, what are the actual Covid procedures at the airport? What to expect from officials? How they channel people?
Please respond if you were recently flying in from an orange state, or work at the airport.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 07:39 AM

5,923 posts, read 4,581,744 times
I found this which seems to answer? >

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/site...vel-order.html

How do they verify or enforce any of this nonsense?

Old 03-11-2021, 07:53 AM

906 posts, read 503,311 times
They don't enforce it. All you need to do is wear a mask and you're fine. I flew a month ago and the only difference in Ohare is a less busy airport.

No need to quarantine or anything when you're here either. Just live your life and ignore covid rules.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:10 AM

6,779 posts, read 3,185,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I found this which seems to answer? >

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/site...vel-order.html

How do they verify or enforce any of this nonsense?
While I have only been to Midway, I haven’t seen it enforced at all. They just have some signs up telling you to look at a website to see which areas are under the quarantine order. The food court was totally closed when I went, but you could eat in the bar areas. They had also removed chairs from formerly less crowded areas like by security, where you used to be able to sit to eat breakfast and drink coffee from the (now closed) coffee shop by security. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:16 AM
wjj

801 posts, read 924,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Hello,
I'm coming to Chicago (healthy and almost vaccinated, but before 2 weeks after the second shot) soon, what are the actual Covid procedures at the airport? What to expect from officials? How they channel people?
Please respond if you were recently flying in from an orange state, or work at the airport.
Thanks!

I have flown via ORD every month as usual throughout last year and this year. American and United have largely retained their pre-Covid banked schedule process which means if you come into Terminal 1 or Terminal 3 during one of the banks, the airport will be quite busy and will look a lot like it did pre-Covid. People everywhere. If you arrive outside of a banked schedule block, it will look empty. Same for arriving at the airport for departure. Lines at security could be long or nonexistent depending on your departure time. Even TSA Pre-Check lines can get long before the banks, though Pre-Check does move pretty fast.

There is no Covid based channeling or checking of people at the airport on domestic flights apart from what the airlines are doing with their various boarding and deplaning procedures. You get on and off just as you always would (following the specific process used by your airline) and enter and depart the airport as you always would. Most vendors are now open, at least in Terminals 1 and 3, and United and American have their clubs open (not every location, but the large main clubs are open and food and beverages are being served). The only difference from pre-Covid days is people will have masks somewhere on their head (not necessarily covering their nose and mouth).

I don't live in the city so I have no idea what their ever-changing travel-related Covid rules are, but my understanding is that there is no enforcement and all you may see is a sign here and there to check the current status of the rules, which apparently change every few days. I doubt many people even know about them let alone follow them, but again, I don't live in the city and so do not pay any attention to what goes on there regarding Covid restrictions. But at ORD itself, the only difference you see from pre Covid days is various face coverings being worn in various ways.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:37 PM

6,268 posts, read 3,420,621 times
enforce what ? Get off the plane. Grab your bags and go home . Grab a drink at the bar on the way out ! Plenty of people boozing!

Old 03-11-2021, 04:26 PM

Thanks everybody! Looks like I'll be able to finally hug my daughter after more than a year apart! Are you all from Illinois? (I'm not) Does it even matter?

Old 03-11-2021, 04:47 PM

5,923 posts, read 4,581,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
enforce what ? Get off the plane. Grab your bags and go home . Grab a drink at the bar on the way out ! Plenty of people boozing!
I figured Lightfoot would be there personally fitting incoming passengers with GPS ankle bracelets.

Quote:
Thanks everybody! Looks like I'll be able to finally hug my daughter after more than a year apart! Are you all from Illinois? (I'm not) Does it even matter?
I am but it wouldn't matter. They just don't have the resources to monitor thousands of incoming passengers. Enjoy your stay!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:04 PM
wjj

801 posts, read 924,043 times
Quote:

Yes. Northwest suburbs of Chicago when I am not in Southwest Florida.

Why were you not able to hug your daughter? No one can stop you from doing that.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Yes. Northwest suburbs of Chicago when I am not in Southwest Florida.

Why were you not able to hug your daughter? No one can stop you from doing that.

She has an autoimmune condition (immune system overreacts and there's a high possibility of a cytokine storm if she gets infected) and I'm too fat -> catching this virus and then passing it to her would be a double bad. Plus, I live where I don't trust doctors. So, for the sake of both of us we kept living far away from EO. We used to see her 3-4 times a year, but not this last one, and it was hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: