Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 06:04 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,983,645 times

Advertisements

This is my great grandfathers world war I documents from when he lived in Chicago and joined the Polish military to fight in world war I ...

However I cannot find this chicago street... Was it re-named?

I just found these last night and my cousin and I are at our dead end with figuring this out....

Please see attached. Anything helps.

This would have been in 1918
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone tell me what Chicago street this is ?-grandpapolisharmy2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 06:23 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,182 times
Interesting. It looks like either Grasser or Grosser, and I can't find either. I did find this document, which is old in itself, that has a list of renamed streets, but I don't see yours on it, so maybe the name was changed after this list was compiled:
https://chicagology.com/chicagostreets/streetnames/

I suggest you use the Chicago History Museum's online contact form to see if someone there might be able to answer the question.
Contact Us - Chicago History Museum

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2021, 06:24 PM

224 posts, read 309,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
This is my great grandfathers world war I documents from when he lived in Chicago and joined the Polish military to fight in world war I ...

However I cannot find this chicago street... Was it re-named?

I just found these last night and my cousin and I are at our dead end with figuring this out....

Please see attached. Anything helps.

This would have been in 1918
Judging from the address being in the 4000 block series, it must be located between Cicero and Pulaski. I’m assuming this street was renamed since all the streets in that area begin with a “K” instead of a “G” as implied from your picture.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish View Post
Judging from the address being in the 4000 block series, it must be located between Cicero and Pulaski. I’m assuming this street was renamed since all the streets in that area begin with a “K” instead of a “G” as implied from your picture.
Yes, it would have do be in a Polish neighborhood im guessing which sounds about right for the time. I spent over an hour figuring this one out!

Im in the process of getting my second citizenship/EU passort through Polish ancestry and they are very strict on addresses and etc... so I have to find this lol

Old 03-12-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Interesting. It looks like either Grasser or Grosser, and I can't find either. I did find this document, which is old in itself, that has a list of renamed streets, but I don't see yours on it, so maybe the name was changed after this list was compiled:
https://chicagology.com/chicagostreets/streetnames/

I suggest you use the Chicago History Museum's online contact form to see if someone there might be able to answer the question.
Contact Us - Chicago History Museum

Good luck!
Yes, thats a great idea. Thank you. I grew up in the area on the southside just nobody knows and even my uncle today had no clue where this was!

My great grandpa only spoke Polish so I was assuming maybe he mixed some sort of letters up that could be a polish letter?

Old 03-12-2021, 06:45 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,182 times
I think it could also be 4500 north or south, not necessarily west.

Another place you might call or write to is the Polish Museum of America. They might know where the various Polish enclaves were at that time, and zero in on the street.
https://www.polishmuseumofamerica.org/contact-us/

Old 03-12-2021, 07:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,462,437 times
When I lived in Chicago,it boasted of having the largest POLISH population outside Warsaw.
Many of my colleagues are Polish Americans.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
When I lived in Chicago,it boasted of having the largest POLISH population outside Warsaw.
Many of my colleagues are Polish Americans.
My great grandparents on both sides of family Immigrated to Chicago from Galacia(Poland today). I never realized how far back Polish roots go to Chicago.

Poland has a ancestry blood line dual citizenship law that if your family was a Polish citizen then you are considered polish by descent.

I am currently trying to get dual citizenship so I can retire out there one day and live there. I have been there many times . My wife is also Lithuanian and born there so all of her family are all over the area.

It is tricky in my situation because my grandfather did not have a Polish passport when he arrived to america because it was under Austrio Hungarian rule.

However, during the war he joined the Polish Military forces after Poland gained their independence and enlisted in the Polish army from Chicago.. So this makes it special .

I just found this information last night in Polish archives. The more i find out the more i want to dig

Old 03-12-2021, 07:59 PM

I have another close up for you guys if it helps. I emailed the Polish society and Chicago history museum as well
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone tell me what Chicago street this is ?-grandpaspolisharmy1.jpg  

Old 03-12-2021, 09:31 PM

734 posts, read 482,856 times
Interesting family history, Jimmy. Really strange, I tried googling "grosser avenue" "chicago", and nothing of value pops up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago