Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 06:10 AM

73 posts, read 33,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
They had this honeycomb with whipped ricotta that was just heavenly. We try to duplicate it at home, and come close, but never as good as theirs.

There's a stretch along Grand Avenue that has spots like Bari, Vinnie's, Salerno's, D'Amato's, and several other Italian spots. I dunno if that's a vestige of the old Little Italy or if its just coincidence. I have heard that Bari is one of the best Italian subs you can get in Chicago. Been meaning to put that to the test.
Yes, that area is called "the Old Neighborhood" by us Italians that have lived there or hung there in years past. It was its own separate Italian section in years gone by. Cabrini Green was initially Little Sicily. We have our own opinion on why these Italian neighborhoods went by the wayside, and it's not what many might think.

LaScarola is great as is Piccolo Sogno in the Grand Ave area. Bella Notte as well.

Right off of Taylor St. is Tufano's. Good place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 08:10 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,242,892 times
Sprintbox my paisan friend,

DO share your theory on why the Little Italies went by the wayside....

I do know and like La Scarola. One year I definitely took my bicycle group there, as well as to Richard's Bar.

Another year, we almost went to Bella Notte, but they thought it was too nice of a place for a sweaty group, so we ate at Salerno's instead.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:01 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,515,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
They had this honeycomb with whipped ricotta that was just heavenly. We try to duplicate it at home, and come close, but never as good as theirs.

There's a stretch along Grand Avenue that has spots like Bari, Vinnie's, Salerno's, D'Amato's, and several other Italian spots. I dunno if that's a vestige of the old Little Italy or if its just coincidence. I have heard that Bari is one of the best Italian subs you can get in Chicago. Been meaning to put that to the test.

Times have changed but that area was also a bastion of high ranking mob figures back in the day.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:21 AM

BOBNCHI, you are right my friend. Some big names of the Outfit hailed from that area. And some stayed in the area, whereas others moved out "west" to places like River Forest or Riverside.

I do believe there still is an active group, the Grand Avenue crew. You don't really hear too much about the Chicago Outfit these days.

That said, this is the way it was SUPPOSED to be: attracting attention is bad for business. It is supposed to be, after all, a secret society.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Sprintbox my paisan friend,

DO share your theory on why the Little Italies went by the wayside....

I do know and like La Scarola. One year I definitely took my bicycle group there, as well as to Richard's Bar.

Another year, we almost went to Bella Notte, but they thought it was too nice of a place for a sweaty group, so we ate at Salerno's instead.
I was one of the regulars at Richard's.

Old man Daley seemed to want to rid the city of the Italian sections is all I will say.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:30 AM

Sprintbox, as a nonsmoker, I can only tolerate a place that allows smoking for a short time.

However, going into Richard's was an experience! I went only 2 times.

The part I never understood: IF Daley and The Outfit were occasionally "scratching each others' backs" I do not know how Don Accardo would have allowed the Taylor Street area to have been modified! If you have any theories on THAT one, please educate me.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Sprintbox, as a nonsmoker, I can only tolerate a place that allows smoking for a short time.

However, going into Richard's was an experience! I went only 2 times.

The part I never understood: IF Daley and The Outfit were occasionally "scratching each others' backs" I do not know how Don Accardo would have allowed the Taylor Street area to have been modified! If you have any theories on THAT one, please educate me.

Look at the history of Cabrini as well as Taylor Street. Doing business entails $$$. Especially in those days, construction, transportation, etc was run through "filters". Daley was at the helm when major changes were enacted. Deals and concessions were made. There's an interesting history between the Irish and Italians.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:57 AM

Sprintbox, considering many of the gangs starting in Prohibition were EITHER predominately Italian OR Irish.

But then again, more money CAN be made and with less bloodshed if the gangs can try to work TOGETHER.

So you had the Daley gang and the Accardo gang in the 1950s/1960s, controlling things in the city.

But if my history lessons are correct, I think Italians were following Grand Avenue and Taylor Street westward to the city limits and suburbs even before the Interstates and the University were being constructed. Certainly NOT at the same pace as when they WERE being constructed.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Sprintbox, considering many of the gangs starting in Prohibition were EITHER predominately Italian OR Irish.

But then again, more money CAN be made and with less bloodshed if the gangs can try to work TOGETHER.

So you had the Daley gang and the Accardo gang in the 1950s/1960s, controlling things in the city.

But if my history lessons are correct, I think Italians were following Grand Avenue and Taylor Street westward to the city limits and suburbs even before the Interstates and the University were being constructed. Certainly NOT at the same pace as when they WERE being constructed.

Not necessarily. Cabrini was initially Italians. Daley made some changes. Rica and Accardo left that area when they were both younger, but the area still remained heavily Italian.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:09 AM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintbox View Post
Yes, that area is called "the Old Neighborhood" by us Italians that have lived there or hung there in years past. It was its own separate Italian section in years gone by. Cabrini Green was initially Little Sicily. We have our own opinion on why these Italian neighborhoods went by the wayside, and it's not what many might think.

LaScarola is great as is Piccolo Sogno in the Grand Ave area. Bella Notte as well.

Right off of Taylor St. is Tufano's. Good place.
Piccolo Sogno is a mainstay for date nights with me and my gal. That place never disappoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago