Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,339 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, recently arrived in Chicago and am looking at buying a house in Lakeview. One option that my partner and I like is alongside an alley. The front of the house still faces the main street, but the alley runs alongside the long lefthand side of the house. There is another alley that runs parallel to the house behind it, the alley alongside I'm referring to is to get access to that main alley (with garage access for all the homes on the street), if that makes sense. There isn't another house on the other side of this "access" alley, it is a small apartment building.

Wondering if this type of placement is viewed as good for property value or bad? We like it as there is more light on that side of the house than if it was right next to another structure. And there is an opaque fence around the house so no issues from exposed windows to the alley. However, it could be viewed as not as appealing to be on an alley, right? Also I assume that we wouldn't get the benefits of being close to another building when it comes to heating, but I don't know if that really matters.

Thanks for your help and thoughts on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 07:10 AM

4,538 posts, read 12,399,512 times
I live in an entirely different climate zone, so I can't comment about the heating, but generally speaking living along an alley lessens property values a little bit. However, while you take a haircut when you sell, you're getting a discount as you buy.

Alley issues include more sides of the house which are exposed to traffic noise, and people walking by that you may not want to have and can't control because it's public right-of-way. Alleys are often used as venue for collecting trash or distributing it back to the homeless, so often alleys have litter problems, but streets can have that issue too.

These cautions being said, I think its location next to an apartment building would be more significant than the alley, but as I said above, the discount buying in and the haircut selling out are a two-way street. Same for the apartment building. Make sure you comps reflect these two issues (Alley/Apartment).

Old 11-24-2020, 07:25 AM

1,067 posts, read 915,231 times
I think it's likely more good than bad for property value because you have more natural light coming into the building. The downside of living along an alley is sometimes cars honk when they drive out to exit the alley to warn pedestrians and you hear the garbage trucks on collection day. So you're either staring at a brick wall next to you or open air with an alley...I'll take the natural light with the alley. I've looked at a couple of properties along alleys and have heard more positives than negatives to that aspect. The buildings you want to avoid are landlocked buildings with no alley or parking access in back.

I saw one building in Logan Square that had an alley on BOTH long sides of the building with garage parking in back. Gets TONS of natural light and is in a great spot. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:56 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
We have owned and lived in two places with an alley along the side of the building and of course in back. We loved it due to the extra light. We sold both with no problem and made money of them too.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:39 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonewb20 View Post
Hello everyone, recently arrived in Chicago and am looking at buying a house in Lakeview. One option that my partner and I like is alongside an alley. The front of the house still faces the main street, but the alley runs alongside the long lefthand side of the house. There is another alley that runs parallel to the house behind it, the alley alongside I'm referring to is to get access to that main alley (with garage access for all the homes on the street), if that makes sense. There isn't another house on the other side of this "access" alley, it is a small apartment building.

Wondering if this type of placement is viewed as good for property value or bad? We like it as there is more light on that side of the house than if it was right next to another structure. And there is an opaque fence around the house so no issues from exposed windows to the alley. However, it could be viewed as not as appealing to be on an alley, right? Also I assume that we wouldn't get the benefits of being close to another building when it comes to heating, but I don't know if that really matters.

Thanks for your help and thoughts on this!
It doesn't impact the value of the home in most cases. In fact, in Lake View, most buyers appreciate the additional light that comes with not having another home just 5 feet away.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,339 times
Thank you everyone for your input, I feel much better about it!

Old 12-06-2020, 04:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
you might not like the smell of the garbage trucks passing by your bedroom window.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:45 PM

74 posts, read 73,133 times
Also, the honking can be wild. I hear a lot of it around here (just North of Lakeview) and I think that would put me off buying a home alongside an alley.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:44 AM

188 posts, read 209,454 times
It’s not for me.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:31 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
You seem to like the property, stands to reason that someone else will too when it's time to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: