U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:54 AM

772 posts, read 2,370,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Keep in mind that the average Chicagoan is barraged by an average of 5 homeless dudes, 3 flyer distributors, and at least 1 Greenpeace kid between the train and the office.
This might be the most truthful statement that I've ever seen on this board!

"Do you have a moment for the environment/children/animals/Africa/Tibet/prisoners in Gitmo/[insert cause here]?" Don't you love that phrasing from activists so that when you answer "no" because you are running late for a train or just want to get lunch without being interrupted for once, you sound like a selfish bastard? Man, I can't stand those people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 13,416,130 times
I was once asked "do you care about the environment" by some guy on the street with a clipboard. I wasn't in the mood so I responded "no, I hate the environment, don't' care about it at all' and kept going. I don't think that was the reaction he was looking for.

Of course, anyone who knows me knows I'm one of the biggest freakin' tree-huggers out there, but if you try and stop my on the street on my way to the train after work, you've got another thing coming.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:36 AM

7,297 posts, read 14,388,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post

"Do you have a moment for the environment/children/animals/Africa/Tibet/prisoners in Gitmo/[insert cause here]?" Don't you love that phrasing from activists so that when you answer "no" because you are running late for a train or just want to get lunch without being interrupted for once, you sound like a selfish bastard? Man, I can't stand those people.
It's a tactic. If they didn't phrase it that way, I don't know if anyone would stop. It's a sucky job.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 AM

203 posts, read 650,232 times
Chicagoans are nice people. Maybe I wasn't in "the Loop" when I visited but alot of people weren't in a hurry like they would be anywhere in Manhattan. It felt kinda southern with the way people talked(slower,more country like to me at least)

They are way nicer in Chicago then in Los Angeles...trust me, L.A people can be rude as hell

Old 07-01-2008, 03:19 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,613,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post

LOL, whenever I run into one of those 'do you have a moment for the environment" idiots my response is, "no I dont, I can't wait for the earth to be reduced to a smoldering gray cinder." The look on their face is priceless.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,131,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Edison Park and Norwood Park. Although I am from a suburb. I know a lot of people form Chicago that live in those areas.
Yes, those areas have many people that were born here and/or grew up here live now.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 PM

5,913 posts, read 11,887,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Lincoln Park is called "New Trier South" for a reason. I think there are more suburbanites there than transplants. Very few of the "Chads" and "Trixies" are from WI, MI, OH, etc. Most of them seem to be from Northbrook, Hinsdale, Wilmette, Winnetka, Oak Brook, etc.
Maybe,

but I sure have met many Michiganders in Lincoln Park/Lakeview. More so I think than other midwest states I think.

This is why I posted the thread a couple weeks about "Girls from Michigan."

And it makes sense Michigan (and Ohio) are actually quite large in population. Almost the same as Illinios actually. The population in MI and OH are just more spread out than in Illinois.

Theres about 5 million people in the Metro Detroit/Ann Arbor area alone.
Areas with great schools, but fewer white collared employment so they come to Chicago (Lincoln Park and Lakeview is the hot spots).

Metro Detroit despite it economic problems nonetheless has equivalents of Northbrook, Wilmette, Winnetka, Oak Brook, Hinsdale.

They are places such as the 5 Gross Pointes, Birmingham, Bloomfield, Troy, and some other towns in Oakland County, MI. There are affluent suburbs of Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids as well. I think those well educated places would also provide "Trixies and Chads." to Chicago.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:21 PM

14 posts, read 54,680 times
What I really want to know is ... Were any of you on this forum born and raised in Chicago? If so, then how do you perceive your personality? Instead of asking non-Chicago natives what their opinion is of Chicagoans, I am specifically asking Chicago born and raised natives ... what is your personal opinion of your hometown people? You don't have to give me a clear cut one sentence answer. But, I would really appreciate if you Chicago natives can break this question down for me. Please base your answer on your personal experience and not on what someone else told you about a certain type of Chicagoan. If you do not have experiece with people from the Southside, then don't give me your opinion of what you think of people from the Southside are like. I want you to genuinely speak from your own personal experience. It's perfectly fine if you only have experience with Chicagoans in a specific neighborhood or part of Chicago. Remember, Chicago is a very large and spread out city, but it is also densely populated in many parts. Please tell me which neighborhood in Chicago you grew up in and which neighborhood you currently live in. And please do the comparison if you can.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:39 PM

14 posts, read 54,680 times
Furthermore, I would like someone on this forum to please explain to me what 'Midwest Hospitality' is? Then I want you to tell me based on your understanding ... how do you think Midwest Hospitality compares to Southern Hospitality, East Coast Hospitality and West Coast Hospitality? Please base your answer on experience. If you haven't visited or lived in the South, East or West please do not answer.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:05 PM

11,288 posts, read 24,222,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I unfortunately know one of those Greenpeace kids. and he's annoying anyways, let alone trying to get you to help the environment.

And this is why Chicago is like heaven to me. I don't want a bunch of strangers talking to me for no reason.
Oh my god, i HATE those people.

I was actually walking down State Street and the Greenpeace people were out attacking everyone on the sidewalk. One guy was so aggresive to everyone walking by, that when people darted out of the way or pulled their kids to the side, his friend literally yelled out - "It's ok! He won't hurt you! We just want to talk"

wtf!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago