Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM

418 posts, read 1,275,575 times

Advertisements

I realize in a larger city you are going to find more rude people.

That said, I am from Kansas City... and one of the things I love about this city is the people (in the more urban areas midtown/westport/downtown) are very friendly. If I was walking down the street and wanted to ask someone a question they are normally helpful. It is not uncommon for someone to strike up a conversation with a stranger here. Unlike St. Louis which IMO the people are very rude. Chicago has some of the look of the east coast cities, but i'm hoping not the rudeness that many east coast cities have. (for example people in LA i think are very friendly, people in Miami are super rude). Now when I was in Chicago before the people seemed really cool.

I've always lived in KC, but i'd like a change. I'm looking to move somewhere that has good public transportation (KC suffers from very very very bad sprawl), nice architecture. Nice walkable neighborhoods. And diversity in the neighborhoods and for the most part friendly people.

My girlfriend and I have been considering many options. Chicago has always been our #1 but we are afraid somewhat of the cost, where as KC is one of the cheapest places to live. The other cities we have considered are Portland, Austin, Minneapolis, San Antonio.

Just wanted some opinions of the people from Chitown?? Do you think your city has what we are looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:26 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
My opinion and it is only that: If you think St. Louisians are rude you'll probably also find Chicagoans rude.

We've talked a lot about rudeness or stand-offishness or whatever you'd like to call it in Chicago and while it doesn't bother me, it might bother some people. \

Personally I've found St. Louisians to be slightly friendlier than Chicagoans, though I like both places and the people in them very much. I think what you think of as rude others think of as brusque.

Kansas Citians remind me more of the southern sort of philosophy and often come off as fake nice (esp. once you tell them you don't want to go to their church)

Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
My opinion and it is only that: If you think St. Louisians are rude you'll probably also find Chicagoans rude.

We've talked a lot about rudeness or stand-offishness or whatever you'd like to call it in Chicago and while it doesn't bother me, it might bother some people. \

Personally I've found St. Louisians to be slightly friendlier than Chicagoans, though I like both places and the people in them very much. I think what you think of as rude others think of as brusque.

Kansas Citians remind me more of the southern sort of philosophy and often come off as fake nice (esp. once you tell them you don't want to go to their church)
hmm sounds like we are talking different areas of KC. I don't know a single person who would bring up anything about church in KC unless you are in the burbs, and even that I don't think i've seen anyone mention it.

St Louis people don't talk to anyone in the urban areas. They stick to themselves.... as I said it's been awhile since I was in Chicago and the people were very nice... i've never had a many good experiences with people in St Louis and i've been there quite a bit more.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
I guess I'd rank Chicago somewhere in between KC and the east coast cities. If you stop us and ask a question, we'll answer it. If you stop us and ask 93 questions, we'll eventually tell you where to go -- and not necessarily to your preferred destination. We're glad to help out but we have no patience for tools, time-wasters and would-be advantage-takers. If we find out you're any of those, we can flip from "hospitable" to "brash" as quickly as flipping a light switch.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
St Louis people don't talk to anyone in the urban areas. They stick to themselves....
As I said, if you feel that strangers not talking to each other is rude then I can tell you you won't like any major city including Chicago.

Drover's description was pretty good.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I guess I'd rank Chicago somewhere in between KC and the east coast cities. If you stop us and ask a question, we'll answer it. If you stop us and ask 93 questions, we'll eventually tell you where to go -- and not necessarily to your preferred destination. We're glad to help out but we have no patience for tools, time-wasters and would-be advantage-takers. If we find out you're any of those, we can flip from "hospitable" to "brash" as quickly as flipping a light switch.
I gotta agree with this statement.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And in between is something I wouldn't mind. And when I say friendly it's not so much as someone asking someone where to go, as just in general. It's easy in KC to strike up a conversation with someone, I also found it easy to do in LA, Houston, and Chicago when I was there but as I said it was awhile back... Miami was not so much rude as it is people just don't talk to each other period, unless they are friends.

Hope this doesn't make me sound like some crazy who goes around trying to make friends with every single person LOL. I just like people mostly being friendly towards one another.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
As I said, if you feel that strangers not talking to each other is rude then I can tell you you won't like any major city including Chicago.

Drover's description was pretty good.
Yeah this is where I think you are misunderstanding what I'm asking. Los Anglos is a larger city then Chicago population wise, and the people there were very cool, it actually shocked me.

I expect more rude people in larger cities, but as I said St. Louis is barely bigger then KC and the people are very rude, I think it's a mentality ya know. And perhaps the location I was in, I like urban areas.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:26 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,386,985 times
Done reckon we do.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:49 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,313,077 times
I find Chicagoans very friendly to the friendly.

However, as Drover touched on, we've got stuff to do. If we're in the Loop during working hours, we're probably busy. If you're of the tourist persuasion, don't stand at the top of the stairs into the underground CTA stations and chat. Don't stop suddenly on a busy sidewalk to consult your Fodor's. Figure out your order before you get to the counter. Drive like you mean it. And on the other hand, as cute as I think it is to see some middle-aged folks from Dubuque 'tough it up' to try to fit in, we know you're from Dubuque. You're wearing a fanny pack and a Key West t-shirt for cryin out loud. We don't hold it against you.

If you do all that, but still get a little lost or confused or curious, a lot of times, we'll ask you if you need help. If not, you may ask us. Be polite and you'll usually get polite. Keep in mind that the average Chicagoan is barraged by an average of 5 homeless dudes, 3 flyer distributors, and at least 1 Greenpeace kid between the train and the office. The train was slow, and there are three new messages on the Blackberry that arrived between North/Clybourn and State/Lake.

Chicagoans tend to respect those who respect us and help those who help themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago