Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:32 AM

365 posts, read 1,253,221 times

Advertisements

We were transferred to CT (suburban NYC) from Chicago. Lived there 2 years. We'd never before encountered such cold, rude people. Our neighbors wouldn't even wave or say hello from their porch when we walked right past them to the mailbox. We joined groups, went to church, were active in school and with the kids, and the only friends we made were transplants from MN. The day we left, we heard a local say that a friend of his had "only lived in town for 10 years" and was, therefore, "a newcomer." I used to love to nip into NYC and be around what I considered "normal" people. New Yorkers are friendly. They talk to you in elevators. Help you with directions. Love their city and want you to love it, too.

We moved back to Chicago. My sister, who has lived all her adult life in TX, always remarks when she visits us that Chicagoans are some of the friendliest people she's ever encountered anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 12:57 PM

149 posts, read 454,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSDetroit View Post
No. This city is exactly like New York. The only civil people are midwest transplants.
from what I've encountered so far, that covers about 80% of the population of the city. I don't think I've actually met a Chicago native. Everyone's from MN, OH, WI, or MI.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:09 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Entropy View Post
As long as people are open and willing to make conversation where you would normally find it (and even in some places where you might not), I think that would be quite refreshing. In NYC people will often go far and out of their way to avoid other people no matter what and the "If I don't know you, I don't want to know you" attitude all over the place really stinks.

If I can just share a laugh with a complete stranger because some schmoe faceplants off a skateboard in front of us, that's a great start.
There's plenty of that sort of camaraderie in Chicago. I've shared a laugh with strangers many times in Chicago.

Chicago isn't a city that coddles, though. I'll be honest: I suspect that people who find Chicagoans really rude might not be the friendliest people themselves. Just putting that out there. If you make the effort, it's generally welcomed. I'm a transplant. Not a "midwestern transplant". I'm from the land of smiles and waves, and I still nod and wave to strangers in Chicago. 75-80% of the time, it's returned. Not a bad ROI.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:11 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguymike View Post
from what I've encountered so far, that covers about 80% of the population of the city. I don't think I've actually met a Chicago native. Everyone's from MN, OH, WI, or MI.
Definitely true in neighborhoods like Lakeview and Lincoln Park.

There are still areas of the city, though, that are mostly native.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Definitely true in neighborhoods like Lakeview and Lincoln Park.

There are still areas of the city, though, that are mostly native.
Lincoln Park is called "New Trier South" for a reason. I think there are more suburbanites there than transplants. Very few of the "Chads" and "Trixies" are from WI, MI, OH, etc. Most of them seem to be from Northbrook, Hinsdale, Wilmette, Winnetka, Oak Brook, etc.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:42 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Lincoln Park is called "New Trier South" for a reason. I think there are more suburbanites there than transplants. Very few of the "Chads" and "Trixies" are from WI, MI, OH, etc. Most of them seem to be from Northbrook, Hinsdale, Wilmette, Winnetka, Oak Brook, etc.

Agreed. But they went to school in OH, WI, MI etc.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:09 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSDetroit View Post
No. This city is exactly like New York. The only civil people are midwest transplants.
Uh, last time I looked at a map, Chicago was in the Midwest, therefore making Chicagoans Midwesterners. At least, I always thought of myself as being from the Midwest, having lived in and around Chicago my whole life.

So I'm not sure how one could actually be a 'midwest transplant to chicago'. It would be just as absurd as stating that someone is a 'new england transplant to boston'.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:19 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguymike View Post
I don't see that really at all. Most of the people I've met that live in Chicago, are from Chicago or moved at such an early age that it doesn't matter.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:26 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I don't see that really at all. Most of the people I've met that live in Chicago, are from Chicago or moved at such an early age that it doesn't matter.
It is because he moved to South Lake View and Lake View as a whole is probably 75% people that did not grow up in the city or were born in it now. As far as what area he works in I have no idea, but plenty of transplants work downtown.

Where do you live and work around?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:46 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
It is because he moved to South Lake View and Lake View as a whole is probably 75% people that did not grow up in the city or were born in it now. As far as what area he works in I have no idea, but plenty of transplants work downtown.

Where do you live and work around?
Edison Park and Norwood Park. Although I am from a suburb. I know a lot of people form Chicago that live in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago