U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 07:42 AM

1,230 posts, read 877,807 times

Advertisements

Very interesting and enviable situation.

In your shoes, I would go to Lincoln Park or Lakeview East, and wouldn't look back.

Wicker Park is on the Blue Line, which is less desirable than the Brown. Though post-Covid, I'm unsure if the crowdedness will be the same. Pre-Covid, it was nightmarish, people watching several full trains go by every morning. Also, that part of the city is more isolated, IMHO. It's inconvenient getting to all the northside areas from there.

West Loop is awesome, but more for people older than you. It's a sophisticated crowd.

Lincoln Park gives you proximity to downtown, and it's nestled in the north side with easy access to Old Town, Lakeview, the shore itself, etc. Lakeview East does this as well - and is also nice, but with your budget and age, I'd give LP the edge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
for lakeview, used to be about 10 years ago, very cool, that was Boystown, the best bars and nighclubs for dancing and just people watching, but now since about 10 years ago, those places and people have moved up north to like 5600 North Clark area, so Lakeview has turned into a knid of extension of Lincoln Park, lots of families and kids have moved in. you might like Andersonville (5600 North by Foster and Clark area).
Andersonville is very nice, but very far from downtown, and most of it is not super close to the L. It's a gay haven, which is fine, just something to note.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:10 PM

1,402 posts, read 1,359,898 times
Good call out on the Blue line. I hinted at it in my previous post. Lincoln Park does sound like best fit. Or maybe I am putting my own preferences first again I just couldn't give up all that outdoor space if it was a reasonable commmute to wherever work is. Or maybe northern part of Old Town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Very interesting and enviable situation.

In your shoes, I would go to Lincoln Park or Lakeview East, and wouldn't look back.

Wicker Park is on the Blue Line, which is less desirable than the Brown. Though post-Covid, I'm unsure if the crowdedness will be the same. Pre-Covid, it was nightmarish, people watching several full trains go by every morning. Also, that part of the city is more isolated, IMHO. It's inconvenient getting to all the northside areas from there.

West Loop is awesome, but more for people older than you. It's a sophisticated crowd.

Lincoln Park gives you proximity to downtown, and it's nestled in the north side with easy access to Old Town, Lakeview, the shore itself, etc. Lakeview East does this as well - and is also nice, but with your budget and age, I'd give LP the edge.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:18 PM

1,402 posts, read 1,359,898 times
This isn't really in line with all the OP's criteria, but it is with some and seems reasonable commute-wise (without knowing exact intersection). Artsy, not super upscale, near Green\pink Line..... Pilsen.
Wouldn't be on my list, but thought I would toss it out there.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:41 PM

585 posts, read 272,377 times
West Loop will be the most expensive and older feeling in terms of demographics. If you are young and new to the city, Lakeview is a young, transplant-ish place but you may be turned off by the “bros” if you’re more artsy. Wicker sounds like it’s more up your alley. Maybe I’m biased because I live here, but I think it’s the best out of the three, with really great access to Logan Square and Avondale (also cool neighborhoods) as well as downtown in the other direction.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:17 AM

Wicker is cool - just a bit grittier (nearby Logan Square much grittier), and a lot of people like it. Lincoln Park, to me, is that perfect mix between Wicker and West Loop for the OP. They seem to have a nice budget, like nicer things, but are young. That screams Lincoln Park.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haverlywave3255 View Post
Thank you everyone so much for the replies. Lots of great information. I won't respond to everything to avoid spamming, but I have a few follow-up questions..

I suppose what I meant by that comment, is that to my understanding WP has been a very fun and interesting place to be, but that it may have largely "passed its peak" - meaning less variety and quality of restaurants/ bars/ shops, more commercialized, etc. I guess I'd prefer to not live in an area that is somewhat "on the decline"? Idk.. a lot of these thoughts probably aren't even things I'd notice while actually living there, and overall these are very picky considerations. Basically, I just want to know whether or not WP is still a very fun and lively place, and that all the praise I've seen of the neighborhood still applies (as usually the praise has come from pre-2015).

Anyway, since you're familiar with the neighborhood, do you have any recommendations for specific areas in the neighborhood where I should look? As of now, my only idea is to be near the Division/ Polish Triangle area, since I want to be close to a train stop and also close to restaurants and bars. What're your thoughts?

Do you recommend any specific areas in Lakeview/ LP for housing? I've been thinking of looking around Clark/ Diversey, near the Diversey stop, or near the Armitage stop. Any of those areas you'd recommend over the others?

I have also been suspicious that Covid may have knocked a lot of the food and drinking options out of Wicker Park. Would be curious to hear if anyone else can speak to this.
Clark and diversey, can't go wrong really! Down Diversey near clark are a few bars on way to lakefront. There are apartments around there, and condos also. Down Clark is a tower or more highrise apartment that has been there a long time, I looked at it originally when I moved to the city.
Stans Donuts at the corner there is great for coffee or a treat. There is also a few places for groceries, not going to go hungry either with places to eat options.
None of this is from precovid either, I am there every day. While I feel overall Chicago is in a bit of a decline ( to be fair) I feel lakeview east to be pretty insulated from that feeling. Again Wicker/Bucktown experience is from visiting, but the shut down decline was more noticeable.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:21 AM

8,403 posts, read 7,282,409 times
do a Google street map view of the 800 - 1200 blocks of North Dearborn. I swear that looks like New York.

also Astor Street, but probably too pricey but very sweet!! just walking down that street looking at the mansions, and sometimes you can see the inside decor, woo hoo!!

Old 04-14-2021, 09:37 AM

6,082 posts, read 2,935,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
do a Google street map view of the 800 - 1200 blocks of North Dearborn. I swear that looks like New York.

also Astor Street, but probably too pricey but very sweet!! just walking down that street looking at the mansions, and sometimes you can see the inside decor, woo hoo!!
Yes, Astor Street is one of the most beautiful city streets I've ever seen. I believe it was the first year I lived in Chicago, I ended up walking on that street to get to Lincoln Park on a bright, sunny Spring day with all the beautiful spring colors along side the gorgeous mansions and it took my breath away .

Old 05-03-2021, 07:55 PM

4 posts, read 301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haverlywave3255 View Post
-Plenty of young and friendly people where it will be easy for us to make friends. We look pretty young ourselves and want to be someplace where we feel that we don't stand out too much.
Unfortunately, you won't find that in Chicagoland or really in Illinois. In Wisconsin you may find nicer people and it may be easier to make friends in Wisconsin or maybe even Indiana or Michigan. People in Illinois, including Chicago, are very closed-clique and do not interact with people outside their cliques unless it's exclusively business-related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: