U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 09:14 AM

39 posts, read 5,864 times

Advertisements

I have been to Chicago a lot and it seems like a nice place. Lots of culture and stuff to do. Has its fair share of problems, admittedly. The crime and corruption need to be worked on but overall its good. Beware though of all the right-wingers who will describe Chicago as some 7th-ring-of-hell wasteland, they don't really know **** about Chi.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 10:36 AM

6,092 posts, read 2,953,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are a lot of northern kids in the top tier southern schools as well, though top-tier northern schools do seem to dominate the very top of the rankings and generally have a lot of top liberal arts colleges that do well in student outcome but sometimes aren't ranked in the same lists as those with graduate programs though that's more with the Northeast than the Midwest. The Midwest, especially the Great Lakes part of the Midwest, differs from the Northeast in that they also field at least one top tier public university. The Southeast is like that, too, with several of the states, namely Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, and Virginia, also fielding really well-regarded public universities.

I do think it'd be great if UIC keeps continuing to go up those rankings. A really solid, top-tier public university that close to a major employment center is fantastic. I wonder how John Marshall will be doing over the next several years now that it's part of UIC.
It will likely improve a good bit, although it will never be ranked high nationally. There is a hierarchical pecking order in law and business. You've got the Ivies and other Top 10-15 (like Northwestern and University of Chicago); then you've got the rest of of Top 20, including prestigious public universities like Berkley, UVA, and Michigan.

Beyond that, the next tier is well-established public state schools. At this level, law students do not have a shot at the big-time corporate and international law firms (beyond the rare outliers). Although they can strike it lucky with local reputable law firms.

John Marshal, even with UIC, is a tier below even the flagship state law schools; so while it will certainly improve with UIC, there's only so high it can climb (there is a ceiling). That said, the good thing about John Marshal is that it's located in a major city like Chicago where there will be opportunities for local grads with likely some reputable law firms. Being attached to UIC only helps, and grads would likely be better positioned to land with a reputable Chicago firm. If a John Marshal grad looks outside Chicago, even with the addition of UIC, they will not have much luck.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:33 PM

29,588 posts, read 28,605,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It will likely improve a good bit, although it will never be ranked high nationally. There is a hierarchical pecking order in law and business. You've got the Ivies and other Top 10-15 (like Northwestern and University of Chicago); then you've got the rest of of Top 20, including prestigious public universities like Berkley, UVA, and Michigan.

Beyond that, the next tier is well-established public state schools. At this level, law students do not have a shot at the big-time corporate and international law firms (beyond the rare outliers). Although they can strike it lucky with local reputable law firms.

John Marshal, even with UIC, is a tier below even the flagship state law schools; so while it will certainly improve with UIC, there's only so high it can climb (there is a ceiling). That said, the good thing about John Marshal is that it's located in a major city like Chicago where there will be opportunities for local grads with likely some reputable law firms. Being attached to UIC only helps, and grads would likely be better positioned to land with a reputable Chicago firm. If a John Marshal grad looks outside Chicago, even with the addition of UIC, they will not have much luck.

I do wonder if Illinois can field more than one top tier public university. It was Berkeley for California for a while, but UCLA went up in the rankings and UC San Diego and UC Irvine often do really well on the rankings now, too, and the others in the UC system aren't chopped liver either. Georgia fields both Georgia Tech and the University of Georgia and Virginia fields both University of Virginia and William & Mary. Is UIC considered definitely second among Illinois public universities or are there other contenders for second?

Old 05-07-2021, 11:13 PM

584 posts, read 491,821 times
I've never understood the people who view high taxes in a vacuum. They conveniently seem to forget the revenue side of the equation. If I could earn just $10k more in Chicago, that would easily compensate for the tax differences vs StL.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:26 PM

447 posts, read 513,999 times
I grew up in Chicago and lived there for 47 years. I think Chicago's own, writer Nelson Algren said it best-

"Yet once you've come to be part of this particular patch, you'll never love another. Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies, but never a lovely so real.

Last edited by glenninindy; 05-08-2021 at 12:30 AM..

Old 05-08-2021, 04:38 PM

3,523 posts, read 1,642,718 times
Chicago always has been and still is a bargain compared to coastal cities. The negative nancies are usually from small cities in the Midwest and like to compare to non equivalent cities. Crime is mostly isolated to certain areas and the job opportunities elsewhere Do not compare.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:10 AM

9,992 posts, read 15,127,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredyz View Post
I Beware though of all the right-wingers who will describe Chicago as some 7th-ring-of-hell wasteland, they don't really know **** about Chi.
Or the poor grannies and working families being driven into foreclosure by 5 figure property tax bills. How dare they complain, that is how the Dems have worked so hard to help them. Besides, it isn't like housing is a basic human necessity. People can live in tents and crap on the sidewalks, but heaven forbid the govt workers don't get million dollar pensions.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:47 AM

3,547 posts, read 1,350,459 times
Chicago is an American melting pot.

There are people from New York City here as well as the Appalachians and the great plains. Probably the biggest difference here between a coastal city is the smaller share of international immigrants. There used to be a lot of eastern European and Mexican immigrants but it's tapered off recently.

What you end up with is a destination city for second and more generation Americans moving around within the country. Is Chicago cosmopolitan? Yes, but not as much as a coastal city because of the demographics. That might be a negative or a positive for you. For some, Chicagoland is alienating because most of it, especially the suburbs, still hosts a majority white American culture. For others, Chicago can be more comfortable and accessible because the culture is familiar.

I cannot really think of another domestic analogue to it. It combines dense urban living, lower costs, attainable housing, top-tier professional jobs, international travel connections, and a culture that is dwindling elsewhere.

I think the economic opportunities are unmatched for entry level workers. Chicago is still a city where you can climb the ladder, although it's getting harder. In other cities people starting out have a much tougher row to hoe to rent and buy housing.

Migration patterns have kind of frozen Chicago in place. It's not all that different demographically as it was in 2000. So there's a bit of a time warp moving here from some place like the coasts or even the Texas cities which have changed so much in the past twenty years. There is bad in that, such as a general malaise and social stagnation, and good, such as a reasonably priced housing market.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:48 AM

24 posts, read 2,422 times
Very easy to get around.

Last edited by Ycomoque; 05-10-2021 at 06:59 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 07:49 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,192,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Chicago is an American melting pot.
For some, Chicagoland is alienating because most of it, especially the suburbs, still hosts a majority white American culture.

My suburb is 54% Latin American, only almost all are "Americanized"; so they mine as well be white.
For this culture, I'll have to move back to Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago