U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,661,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycomoque View Post
I don't know man, sounds extremely ambitious. I'm thinking of an article from awhile back showing that white people in Chicago are very unwilling to move to a black neighborhood in contrast to those other areas which were mostly Latino.
Real estate values in West Garfield Park are going up.........fast.

https://www.homesbymarco.com/neighbo..._in_chicago_il
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

20 posts, read 1,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Real estate values in West Garfield Park are going up.........fast.

https://www.homesbymarco.com/neighbo..._in_chicago_il
Perhaps, but that could be purely speculative at this point. I was there a few weeks ago and didn't see a single Yakubian.

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

29,579 posts, read 28,596,247 times
I'd try to get federal and state funding for lead testing and abatement, freeway capping for more greenspace, local training/hiring preferences for doing both of those, and after school / summer programs to keep people especially kids engaged in those greenspaces, libraries and schools after school hours.

Old Today, 05:01 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,035,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

Now, as to why I might not want to move over there, it's a lack of not only quality grocery options but quality housing. Going into some of those buildings to count people put some stuff into a perspective. For one, I'm glad my landlord isn't like the ones over there. For another, it's a bit easier to see why people who are living in a place like that aren't compelled to care much more about the neighborhood than their landlord cares about the place where they lay their head.
Well the good news for you is that a lot of young investors have been buying in North Lawndale and East Garfield Park. And from the sound of it West Garfield Park too now So it shouldn't be too hard for you to find a renovated two or three flat owned by such individuals. If you really want to live there check out Padmapper, Zillow, or Craigslist. It would be great to hear your impressions of the neighborhood after living there for a few months!

As to putting the blame on the landlord's. I don't know. I'm sure there's plenty of slumlords but then again, from some landlords I know who of own buildings in these areas, tenant problems are common. It's also hard to get good tenants there I am told. Many of the African Americans who live there are trying to get out and the virtue signaling white people who mostly live on the north side and have disposable income to invest don't want to actually live there.

Old Today, 09:12 AM

15,140 posts, read 27,933,120 times
I know one bartender, young, white, female who works at one of the places I go in Logan, who lives by the Conservatory. She says the folks around her treat her just fine once they figured out she wasn't a Karen type and isn't going to call the cops on folks for (mundane activity)ing while black. This might completely blow your mind, but sometimes white folks move to these places and they scare their neighbors more than the neighbors scare them.

Anyway, I was looking at these and some are are in your own neighborhood (you're claiming Little Village, so you should know 2300 S Kostner is not Garfield Park) and tbh some of these are expensive for where they are. I'm getting a pretty good deal (just renewed 3br for $1470) and I'm sick of moving. But if I didn't like my situation, I'd go for one of these.

In the meantime, I can tell you a little bit about living in Detroit, or living in a part of Houston where I was the only white dude in the apartment complex for much of the time I was there. The only difference in Garfield Park is there's an L train that will take you downtown, and the bones are older.

Old Today, 10:16 AM

13 posts, read 629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Well the good news for you is that a lot of young investors have been buying in North Lawndale and East Garfield Park. And from the sound of it West Garfield Park too now So it shouldn't be too hard for you to find a renovated two or three flat owned by such individuals. If you really want to live there check out Padmapper, Zillow, or Craigslist. It would be great to hear your impressions of the neighborhood after living there for a few months!

As to putting the blame on the landlord's. I don't know. I'm sure there's plenty of slumlords but then again, from some landlords I know who of own buildings in these areas, tenant problems are common. It's also hard to get good tenants there I am told. Many of the African Americans who live there are trying to get out and the virtue signaling white people who mostly live on the north side and have disposable income to invest don't want to actually live there.
Rehab work done by investors, especially speculative ones tends to be garbage. Cheap materials and lots of corner cutting. I know, I've seen the work in progress. This is the main reason I choose to buy a distressed property and rehab the work myself. Pain in the arse but worth it. I was interviewing a contractor and was asking him tons of questions about materials and techniques, he said "this isn't an investment, this is for your own home right" Even they know. As far as slumlords are concerned, my general experience is to NOT trust landlords who are not willing to live in the same neighborhood their buildings are in.

Old Today, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I know one bartender, young, white, female who works at one of the places I go in Logan, who lives by the Conservatory. She says the folks around her treat her just fine once they figured out she wasn't a Karen type and isn't going to call the cops on folks for (mundane activity)ing while black. This might completely blow your mind, but sometimes white folks move to these places and they scare their neighbors more than the neighbors scare them.

Anyway, I was looking at these and some are are in your own neighborhood (you're claiming Little Village, so you should know 2300 S Kostner is not Garfield Park) and tbh some of these are expensive for where they are. I'm getting a pretty good deal (just renewed 3br for $1470) and I'm sick of moving. But if I didn't like my situation, I'd go for one of these.

In the meantime, I can tell you a little bit about living in Detroit, or living in a part of Houston where I was the only white dude in the apartment complex for much of the time I was there. The only difference in Garfield Park is there's an L train that will take you downtown, and the bones are older.
I never said 2300 S. Kostner is in EGP. It's in the west part of North Lawndale. I put examples from EGP, NL, and WGP, to rebut the argument that there isn't quality housing available in these neighborhoods for progressive white Chicagoans willing to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk. I literally grabbed those as I was putting my shirt on to walk out the door with a bagel stuffed in my mouth. I'm sure if one actually looked, they could find many, many more.

I know why I wouldn't live in one of these neighborhoods. You don't need to tell me. But for those who think the problems there are caused by realtors, disinvestment, police officers, and underfunded social services, then they have little excuse for not moving there to help rectify these issues.

Last edited by BRU67; Today at 12:12 PM..

Old Today, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
Rehab work done by investors, especially speculative ones tends to be garbage. Cheap materials and lots of corner cutting. I know, I've seen the work in progress. This is the main reason I choose to buy a distressed property and rehab the work myself. Pain in the arse but worth it. I was interviewing a contractor and was asking him tons of questions about materials and techniques, he said "this isn't an investment, this is for your own home right" Even they know. As far as slumlords are concerned, my general experience is to NOT trust landlords who are not willing to live in the same neighborhood their buildings are in.
I do not disagree with any of this as a general rule. The multi-unit market in North Lawndale and Garfield Park - and the part of South Lawndale west of Kedzie - is a bit unique in that they are seeing a lot of young, first time investors who are being pushed there due to the really hot markets in other nearby areas, where you very often need to bring the purchase price in cash to play.

They do not seem to be moving into these areas. From their buying patterns along the train lines, one could perhaps deduce they are banking on gentrification, albeit gentrification they themselves are not willing to start through their own physical presence. Whether this is causing them to use better materials, I don't know. But for the most part, you are not dealing with big developers, so I imagine the quality of their rehabs would vary.

Old Today, 12:14 PM

15,140 posts, read 27,933,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I know why I wouldn't live in one of these neighborhoods.
If you really live in Little Village, are you doing that much better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago