U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 01:48 PM

15 posts, read 1,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Sorry Don. Yeah, I was talking about the activists, and many of our fellow Chicagoans who live in safer neighborhoods and complain about the situation in our most violent areas. Not the investors.
There's a flip side to that also. Concentrating extremely poor people and chronically unemployed into one neighborhood is a recipe for disaster. Spreading them out would lessen the problems. Problem is nobody wants them to live in their neighborhood so they cram them into a few neighborhoods then complain "why is there so much violence" Gee, I wonder what happens when you put together people that nobody wants to live with into a few areas. Let's stick rivaling gangs into neighborhoods right next to each other.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 01:53 PM

4,539 posts, read 8,039,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So when did you live in Garfield Park?
Never. I drive through pretty much every day, and use public transit going through it at times when I need to head north. Not interested.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
There's a flip side to that also. Concentrating extremely poor people and chronically unemployed into one neighborhood is a recipe for disaster. Spreading them out would lessen the problems. Problem is nobody wants them to live in their neighborhood so they cram them into a few neighborhoods then complain "why is there so much violence" Gee, I wonder what happens when you put together people that nobody wants to live with into a few areas. Let's stick rivaling gangs into neighborhoods right next to each other.
The whole idea behind Section 8 vouchers is that people who are receiving Federal housing assistance will rent market apartments in higher opportunity areas. But this hasn't worked out in practice. Wealthier suburbs tend to have restrictive zoning with fewer rentals available, and/or rentals which are in high demand and thus allow landlords to be more discriminate.

The result has been that vouchers have remained concentrated, which has led to an answer to the question you pose, and it hasn't been good for south suburbs and other low income City neighborhoods where those individuals have moved.

On this score, I think affordable housing set-asides for new projects should apply to housing developments in affluent suburbs and not just in the City. Why do projects in the City need to have 20% or more affordable units while suburban developments completely escape that? If the goal is to provide housing in higher opportunity areas for the marginally incomed, then this needs to change.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
The whole idea behind Section 8 vouchers is that people who are receiving Federal housing assistance will rent market apartments in higher opportunity areas. But this hasn't worked out in practice. Wealthier suburbs tend to have restrictive zoning with fewer rentals available, and/or rentals which are in high demand and thus allow landlords to be more discriminate.

The result has been that vouchers have remained concentrated, which has led to an answer to the question you pose, and it hasn't been good for south suburbs and other low income City neighborhoods where those individuals have moved.

On this score, I think affordable housing set-asides for new projects should apply to housing developments in affluent suburbs and not just in the City. Why do projects in the City need to have 20% or more affordable units while suburban developments completely escape that? If the goal is to provide housing in higher opportunity areas for the marginally incomed, then this needs to change.
It's not just section 8, it's homeless shelters, clinics for the mentally ill, and drug rehab centers. They concentrated them in Uptown and what happened? Now they're sending them all to the west side instead of spreading them around. California has the same problem. They wanted to build a homeless shelter but nobody wants it in their neighborhood so now the homeless camp on the streets.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
It's not just section 8, it's homeless shelters, clinics for the mentally ill, and drug rehab centers. They concentrated them in Uptown and what happened? Now they're sending them all to the west side instead of spreading them around. California has the same problem. They wanted to build a homeless shelter but nobody wants it in their neighborhood so now the homeless camp on the streets.
Society needs to share in correcting these issues. The problem is longstanding social pathologies, a certain social rot and culture of violence and misogyny which has been allowed and even nourished by political leadership (using the term loosely) and the media for decades. Today, few will even dare acknowledge this, much less initiate any real steps to address it.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:11 PM

6,752 posts, read 2,785,234 times
Quote:
Sorry, we have no obligation to adopt your city's stupid social programs that exacerbate the problems they purport to solve, piled one on top of another in a negative feedback loop that compound to make the suburbs the much more attractive option they typically are.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Sorry, we have no obligation to adopt your city's stupid social programs that exacerbate the problems they purport to solve, piled one on top of another in a negative feedback loop that compound to make the suburbs the much more attractive option they typically are.
Section 8 is a federal program.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Section 8 is a federal program.
Nothing to do with the post I responded to.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
As said, Section 8 is a federal program, and certain suburbs have been bearing a disproportionate number of vouchers for years. I will bet your suburb receives Federal money, and also money from the state. And disproportionately benefits from our unconstitutional property tax funded educational system. Wealthy suburbs need to start sharing this, which theoretically should not be a problem since more and more Chicagoland suburbs are voting for progressive politicians. Time to belly up to the fair housing bar, as the saying goes.

Last edited by BRU67; 05-11-2021 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
As said, Section 8 is a federal program, and certain suburbs have been bearing a disproportionate number of vouchers for years. I will bet your suburb receives Federal money, and also money from the state. Wealthy suburbs need to start sharing this, which theoretically should not be a problem since more and more Chicagoland suburbs are voting for progressive politicians. Time to belly up to the fair housing bar, as the saying goes.
Again, I'm not talking about Section 8 as the post I responded to made no mention of it. I was responding to your "affordable housing" set-asides that make "market-rate" housing more expensive, which in turn increases the demand for "affordable housing," until you eventually have a virtual bifurcation in the housing market like you see in the city today.

We already have affordable housing out here in the suburbs, and you don't have to live in a marginal neighborhood to afford it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago