U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2021, 08:17 AM

141 posts, read 87,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Chicago is a tale of two cities an a number of ways, and one of them is friendliness. The *real* Chicago friendliness is going to be found where the *real* Chicagoans are: the "locals" neighborhoods where people have spent their whole lives in, and whose family has generations of living in. These are blue collar neighborhoods in the city and suburbs, not the YUPpie neighborhoods you mentioned (where a lot of transplants live and there aren't that many Chicago natives).

What you mentioned makes sense in the downtown and northside of the city, but not all of Chicago, let alone Chicagoland and Illinois is like that. You gotta venture out of the touristy and transplant neighborhoods to witness it. I would say Chicago's local people are the friendliest I've met for a city the size of its size. You're going to get transplant jerks (especially at bars/clubs) in any big city you're in.
That right there is what up.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 10:10 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,969,047 times
I've travelled a lot. I'm sure most people on these forums have. And the one thing I've learned is that there is no such thing as a city being friendly or not. Some are, some not. Doesn't matter where you are.

Perceptions of LA people being snotty, Midwest people being warm, Southerners being polite, East Coasters being snobby... it's all nonsense. There are a-holes, lovely people, and everyone else in between no matter were you go. Chicago's no different.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:29 AM

3,175 posts, read 1,955,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I've travelled a lot. I'm sure most people on these forums have. And the one thing I've learned is that there is no such thing as a city being friendly or not. Some are, some not. Doesn't matter where you are.

Perceptions of LA people being snotty, Midwest people being warm, Southerners being polite, East Coasters being snobby... it's all nonsense. There are a-holes, lovely people, and everyone else in between no matter were you go. Chicago's no different.
And, we have a winner!!

Old 04-29-2021, 01:51 PM

691 posts, read 303,084 times
Speaking as an ex-Chicagoan, who recently moved to Miami here is what I have noticed.

This is how I boil it down:

-People raised in the city or in the more blue collar areas, are not as friendly, but more real. They are not mean or rude, but they aren't particularly friendly either.

-Transplants from other parts of the Midwest (and they make up a HUGE chunk of the city) will be much friendlier to your face, but less so behind your back. You will find a lot more passive aggressive behavior on that front. Friendlier to your face, less so behind your back.

I grew up in Avondale, and my friends who grew up in the city, we are usually deemed as being more direct, and "not as nice" when I am put in a group of midwest transplants. But when we are within our own fellow Chicago natives, we are pretty much standard.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:44 AM

As a Chicagoan who is strongly considering a move to Miami (permanent remote arrangement pending), how is the COLA there?

Old 04-30-2021, 09:46 AM

3,175 posts, read 1,955,458 times
you'd probably get more accurate info if you asked in the miami thread..

Old 04-30-2021, 09:58 AM

2,382 posts, read 1,199,370 times
Quote:
As a Chicagoan who is strongly considering a move to Miami (permanent remote arrangement pending), how is the COLA there?

Depends, dirt cheap in the many, many poor neighborhoods you'll be avoiding.
Pretty expensive everywhere else in Miami-Dade, as they had to spend over a billion improving pumping stations and miles of pipes; to hold back rising sea levels.
You'll save some $$ in Broward county, where I resided; still plenty to do there.
Back on topic, people are friendlier in Chicago vs. Florida in general.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:43 PM

2,598 posts, read 1,585,957 times
Quote:

I do agree with this that there are kind, rude, and all types in between of people in every city in the world. However, stereotypes of some cities being "kind" or "rude" do exist for a reason. I do think some cities are outwardly more unfriendly than others.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:17 PM

How do you evaluate a city's friendliness though, regardless of existing perceptions. Take Chicago for instance. How do you stereotype the city when there are so many different kinds of people and cultures. Being gay in Englewood, black in Little Village, white and liberal in Saguanash, and white and conservative in Boystown can undoubtedly be difficult.

And then again, being black in Bronzeville, Asian in Bridgeport, Latino in Pilsen, and white in North Center probably lends more positive experiences.

I just don't see any validity to broad statements about cities' friendliness unless cities have homogeneous populations. If anything Chicago is really more a collection of regions/neighborhoods than a unified city.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:20 PM

6 posts, read 832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I know most of you are probably well traveled. Was curious how it compares to the coasts and the south as far as friendliness. TIA

Generally, people in Chicago and surrounding area like to be left alone. Anytime anyone in the Chicagoland area interacts with someone, it's generally business-related only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago