U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 07:39 PM

2,851 posts, read 1,151,552 times

Advertisements

Mod cut.

Interesting for me: Canaryville supposedly has a reputation for not being particularly to outsiders.

I went into a local bar, announced I was from Milwaukee, and still was treated just fine. The bartender even gave me some free pens with the bar name on it.

They were just as friendly at the nearby pizza place, and the Canaryville library.

So until further notice, I'm going to guess that I keep getting treated well because I am treating the people well that I am coming into contact with.

Thoughts, anyone? I'm up for a friendly debate/discussion on this....

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-17-2021 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: English only is permitted in City-Data posts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 03:22 AM

4,576 posts, read 7,211,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchman View Post
Illinoisans in general are very cold and very anti-social. Chicagoans are very anti-social and very unapproachable, but it's actually a lot worse in the suburbs, especially the collar county area. Conversations in Illinois, including in Chicago and especially Chicago's suburbs, generally are exclusively business-related, especially with strangers.
I don't agree with this. Part of why I fell in love with Chicago is that the people I met here were mostly friendly and warm. I spent eight months of 1995 here, then finished college in another state, graduating in 1996, then took a job in the Twin Cities. I found the Twin Cities to be very cold both literally and figuratively. The only friends I made there were from out of state. So I moved back to Chicago in 1999. It was just as figuratively warm as I remembered it. I'm a white guy but don't only do stereo-typical "white guy transplant" things. Sure, I've been to my fair share of Cubs games in the bleachers, but also Sox games (even, perhaps especially, pre-World Series). Before most of my friends had kids and it got harder to organize things, I used to get them to get out of the Near North Side/north lakefront bubble and do things like visit Army and Lou's or other soul food classics, or visit Little Village for excellent regional Mexican food, or check out Filipino food or Vietnamese food or Puerto Rican food in Humboldt Park - or the P.R. parade, or any manner of other ethnic food here. I'd get people to go to Chinese New Year parades in both Chinatown and on Argyle (which I always preferred).

I'm not trying to make myself look like anything special, I'm just saying I'm not a cloistered transplant. I do think that there is some truth in another poster who identified two ethnic groups in Chicago as being particularly friendly, but I would dispute anyone trying to say that only those two groups are friendly. I think that most people in Chicago of any ethnic group will respond positively to friendly, respectful, kind approaches from anyone. As with most things in life I think you generally get back what you put into things. Maybe not 100% of the time, but usually. It's a good rule of thumb, and a good way to live life.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 619 times
I was born in Florence to Italian parents and raised in New York. I observed more than a bit of anti-Italian stereotypes in Chicago (e.g., prejudiced comments directed toward Italian-Americans). Further, I was in Chicago when Eataly's offensive ad campaign was in effect. I'm amazed that anyone ever thought that that was acceptable.

Despite this, I find most Chicagoans to be friendly.

Last edited by LucianoPavarotti; 05-18-2021 at 07:57 AM..

Old 05-18-2021, 08:29 AM

Hmmm. I have been to all of the Italian areas in Chicago, and have NUMEROUS conversations with residents. I have NEVER heard anyone mention being on the receiving end of anti-Italian sentiment.

I wonder why I rarely experience negative encounters, and yet I read about people stating they have dealt with such rude people, in Chicago???

I guess I must just be lucky, huh???

Old 05-18-2021, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Hmmm. I have been to all of the Italian areas in Chicago, and have NUMEROUS conversations with residents. I have NEVER heard anyone mention being on the receiving end of anti-Italian sentiment.

I wonder why I rarely experience negative encounters, and yet I read about people stating they have dealt with such rude people, in Chicago???

I guess I must just be lucky, huh???
That you refer to "Italian areas" is odd. This isn't 1920. In most of the US, other than a "Little Italy" (where no one with a drop of Italian blood even lives), Italian-Americans live in areas with everyone else -- not in their own enclaves.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:30 AM

LucianoPavarotti, good morning.

Ok, I will give you that; Perhaps I should have used the term, "historically Chicagoan Italian areas"?

Nonetheless, what I, then find ODD, is that WHEREVER I have gone in Chicago, I have NEVER heard anyone mention being on the receiving end of anti-Italian sentiment...

So that said, I wonder: what am I missing in MY experiences that I never have encountered people that have described such horrible experiences; and yet, I see contributors on here describing the rude/cold/unfriendly/etc. experiences.....

Old 05-18-2021, 10:14 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,202,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Oh baloney. I see you like to bash Chicago.
Chicago has changed, a LOT.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:49 AM

1,480 posts, read 420,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Chicago has changed, a LOT.
Seems some want to know what A LOT means for you and related to Friendliness levels? Doubtful some details can be revealed..... Ethnic wise, yes areas of Chicago have changed. That was as it always was as waves of immigrants then moved in even when it was European mainly as with all our cities, White-Flight at his heyday changed Chicago a hellova lot more then this era where Gentrification changes it.

Crime in hoods already were set in past decades nothing new. It was there in the late 70s and 80s I lived in Chicago. What was a different was the increasing level of Hispanic presence as its numbers increased the past decades and some could say the African-American % of the city dropped.

Living on the Northwest side then. You saw far more White being basically the whole neighborhood. What did change was a more Hispanic presence across the Northside also over decades since. Still it is not like most of these neighborhood went down some sewer and look still good today without being considered hoods.

I remember how people then saw.... a creeping change of minorities moving into these areas and my relatives could even judge you by how far north/west and south you lived from them and key north/south east/west streets then till you got the neighborhoods at risk for this change and consider a move especially if lower housing values were a fear. Many were victims of White-Flight previously and the result of "blockbusting" methods that created the severe White-Flight in lose in values set by these real estate powers.

Clearly, some have baggage from blame of eras that were not long ago even of lost housing values that some do not even blame on the Crash. They rather do so it is certain people. Sometimes you can easily read between the lines .... Still we all have a cause and effect we feel may have hurt us and if $$$ it is huge.

Chicago will have a bit different vibe that can be by era, level and degree of transplants in the neighborhood and ethnicity can play a roll. Each era has changes that some just see all negative and never will let that go and this thread should not have a political reason to use for overall friendliness level vs other major cities or the region as a whole. A Chicago or or most Big cities.... all maintain generally a vibe over decades. They change in ways and still a underlining trait that makes it a Chicago or NYC or Boston.... goes on.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:09 AM

3,940 posts, read 6,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I'm trying to imagine everybody on Mich Ave or La Salle or Broadway saying Hi or Good Morning to everyone they pass. Would we ever get where we are intending to go? Or would we be hoarse by the time we got there?
I don't think anyone's talking about saying hello to everyone one passes on a busy downtown street. But what if you're up in a neighborhood somewhere, and it's only you and one other person passing one another? I've never even lived in the South, but to me it feels weird in that situation not to at least smile or nod or something (which is very common here in the Cleveland area). While out walking in East Lakeview, I couldn't even make brief eye contact with someone without getting The Head Turn in response... i.e., the other person turns their head away to avoid looking at me. I learned quickly to keep my eyes pointed straight ahead and not make eye contact.

In 20 years in Chicago, I didn't find people to be particularly friendly. Except in certain gay bars, where some people were very forward. Now, perhaps if I were more extroverted (like our own Master Jay), I might've had a completely different experience.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:20 AM

3,940 posts, read 6,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Nonetheless, what I, then find ODD, is that WHEREVER I have gone in Chicago, I have NEVER heard anyone mention being on the receiving end of anti-Italian sentiment...
I never heard it either. Nor did I ever receive anything like that (I'm half Italian and have an Italian last name).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago