U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 10:48 AM

8,956 posts, read 5,166,069 times

Advertisements

I know most of you are probably well traveled. Was curious how it compares to the coasts and the south as far as friendliness. TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 10:53 AM

6,078 posts, read 2,930,496 times
It's kind of a mix IMO. Chicagoans are friendly, but there is also a slight edge/blue-collar toughness to us as well. I would imagine it's friendliness would be comparable to a cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Detroit, etc. Blue collar cities at heart, but still Midwestern (*I know Pitt technically isn't Midwestern). The cold weather creates a fast-paced (literally people walking fast) environment and toughens us. So overall very friendly, but not necessarily laid back southern friendly, if that makes any sense

Old 04-22-2021, 11:27 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,195,738 times
"Get off my lawn!"

(Just kidding)

Old 04-22-2021, 12:10 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,121,341 times
Gaylord_Focker (GREAT name!!), good day!

I have been to San Francisco, CA once, and Greenville, SC, both spending a one week stay, some 20 to 25 years ago.

I'm a rather outgoing and extroverted guy. And I thoroughly enjoyed my experiences in both of those cities. It was very easy to make friends with people on both of those cities, as well.

I would say San Francisco was closer to Chicago, in terms of variety of neighborhoods, as well as having a very diverse population.

I live in Milwaukee, WI, which is like Chicago, yet being a fraction of it!!!

There are people I've spoken with it over the years that have a rather negative opinion of Chicago (dirty, unsafe, and unfriendly). I am quick to change their tune when I hear that, though!!

I visit Chicago often BECAUSE it is such a warm and welcoming city, and I have been to MANY parts of the city.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:34 PM

139 posts, read 83,705 times
I'd say overall Chicago is definitely friendlier than NYC, but that's such general talk though! What areas? Like for instance, the hipper areas have a lot of transplants from both burbs and out of state, so can somebody say all of Chicago is like that? Nah. But overall, I'd say Chicagoland altogether is pretty friendly.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:41 AM
wjj

819 posts, read 950,445 times
All of this of course is a broad generalization and opinion. Having spent a career running all over the US, and the world for that matter, and now splitting my time between the Chicago burbs and SW Florida, I think there are really two factors in play. "Nice" and "polite". There is no question in my opinion that people in the Chicago area, on the whole, are both nicer and more polite than those on the east coast from say Boston down through northern VA. Yes, a big generalization and certainly not applicable everywhere. It is just the opposite for people in the south. They are just as nice as Chicagoans on the whole but tend to be more polite and outwardly friendly. I find most of the rest of the midwest cities are about the same as Chicago. Nice, but not particularly polite or friendly, again on the whole. The west coast for me is too far out there to even hazard a comparison. Entirely different planet divorced from reality.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:06 AM

139 posts, read 83,705 times
I've heard it said that the south on the whole is very polite and quite friendly in a small-talk sort of way, but not necessarily welcoming. Like, they'll treat you cordially where they see you, but won't necessarily invite you into their circle. I'm sure that's somewhat a generalization, but various times I've heard midwestern transplants to the south commenting about it.

Here, if you get on well with somebody, most likely you'll be invited to hang out, bbq, etc.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:20 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,335,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I live in Milwaukee, WI, which is like Chicago, yet being a fraction of it!!!
I think of Cleveland the same way.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:01 PM

31 posts, read 12,773 times
I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion given the love Chicago frequently gets on CD, but... I lived in Chicago (Evanston) from 2017-2019 and barely made any friends beyond my favorite co-worker. Besides the bartenders, who would frequently give out "freebies" to me, I found most people to be really unfriendly. If I was at a crowded bar, people would get hostile if you want to take the only open seat next to them. Also, lots of locals are frazzled by their drinking habits and would frequently "mistake" my car for an Uber late at night and try to enter my car, which was scary. These experiences were from nights out in "nice" neighborhoods such as Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Uptown/Edgewater, etc...

I read once that the culture in the Midwest is to stick with "who you know" and forget the rest ("there's no room at our table" kind of mentality), especially if you are already from the Midwest, or went to a Big-10 school. In my case, I am a Southerner from Nashville, which is only 7 or so hours away, but I was completely a fish out of water. Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan all embody the same vibe of Midwestern friendliness. I don't think you can say the same about Illinois. It's a big government culture and if you are an outsider, you are not embraced by the locals.

On the flipside, my new home of Los Angeles has been infinitely more friendly than Chicago. I'm really happy here with the nice people I've met. The "unfriendliness" that people often describe for LA is exactly what I experienced in Chicago specifically. Life is a subjective experience, I guess.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:33 PM

6,078 posts, read 2,930,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville_Native View Post
I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion given the love Chicago frequently gets on CD, but... I lived in Chicago (Evanston) from 2017-2019 and barely made any friends beyond my favorite co-worker. Besides the bartenders, who would frequently give out "freebies" to me, I found most people to be really unfriendly. If I was at a crowded bar, people would get hostile if you want to take the only open seat next to them. Also, lots of locals are frazzled by their drinking habits and would frequently "mistake" my car for an Uber late at night and try to enter my car, which was scary. These experiences were from nights out in "nice" neighborhoods such as Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Uptown/Edgewater, etc...

I read once that the culture in the Midwest is to stick with "who you know" and forget the rest ("there's no room at our table" kind of mentality), especially if you are already from the Midwest, or went to a Big-10 school. In my case, I am a Southerner from Nashville, which is only 7 or so hours away, but I was completely a fish out of water. Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan all embody the same vibe of Midwestern friendliness. I don't think you can say the same about Illinois. It's a big government culture and if you are an outsider, you are not embraced by the locals.

On the flipside, my new home of Los Angeles has been infinitely more friendly than Chicago. I'm really happy here with the nice people I've met. The "unfriendliness" that people often describe for LA is exactly what I experienced in Chicago specifically. Life is a subjective experience, I guess.
Yeah, I think this is a fair assessment in a sense. It is definitely more of a tough love friendliness. Although I find that in bars and settings, people are pretty social. But I guess it is all perspective. It's not "in your face friendly," but at the same time, I have found people to be genuinely pretty pleasant and social. A lot of the vibe and even friendliness can change from neighborhood to neighborhood too. There is definitely a strong Big Ten presence, so if you are in those types of neighborhoods, I can definitely see what you are describing. I'm originally from the east coast but did attend a Big Ten school so I have my pass

*but in all seriousness; I did a little of the alum stuff when I first got there, but have rarely done anything since. I do have a couple good friends who are fellow alums in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago