Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 04:01 PM

9,980 posts, read 5,679,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I hope this falls on its face before it ever makes it out of committee.
Well, so much for that -- made it out of committee. Even a proposed amendment to ensure the name change only applies to the outer drive to avoid having to officially change hundreds of addresses was dismissed by the sponsor as "racist bull****." Naturally he's also not impressed with Lightfoot's alternative suggestion to rename the riverwalk after DuSable.

And so it goes -- the city will likely be brow-beaten into destroying the name recognition of one of America's most iconic roads because they're too cowardly to tell the race warriors to go fornicate themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 04:54 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
How about naming that swamp area by the mouth of the Chicago river where he lived instead ?

Old 04-29-2021, 05:11 PM

253 posts, read 198,793 times
LSD is iconic in itself.
Pick a street closer to the river to change the name of.
Like wabash

Old 04-29-2021, 05:45 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
LSD is iconic in itself.
Pick a street closer to the river to change the name of.
Like wabash
I personally would not want Wabash changed either. That's one of those Chicago streets where when you say it, every Chicagoan can identify it. Wabash is also part of Chicago's identity.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:48 PM

Seems like a no-brainer to pick one of the numbered thoroughfares that doesn't have a name people are attached to like 31st or 35th or 79th or something.

Last edited by Bitey; 04-29-2021 at 07:50 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 08:30 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,479 times
You all are acting as if older the me..... and so set in your ways even as a transplant. Really names can change and still a generation or two will still use the former name or both. True to say Lake Shore Drive for visitors, is self explanatory. The LSD abbreviation has lost that 60s 70s reference it once had. Who says LSD today?

No doubt a name change will have the old one stick for locals for years. A new Long name will have either Du Sable Drive used or even Du Sable Lake Shore Drive.

The attitudes of saying name a swampy area after a FOUNDER of CHICAGO not as a city, but as its first on Native American settler who started what its destiny.... is not small potatoes.

Look at Philadelphia and its founder. OMG the Penn name is on EVERYTHING. Least of all is the State. It wasn't even till the mid-20th century even DuSable was recognized.

A bit of history some probably do not know.

- From the Chicago River south to 57th Street, it was named - Leif Ericson Drive in 1927, for Norse explorer Leif
Ericson (where that name come from?).
- The roadway was also nicknamed - Field Boulevard.
- The entire road was renamed Lake Shore Drive in 1946.

Maybe some still want it to be just Outer Drive also?? That did not totally go away either ....

There will be no law saying you'all cannot say Lake Shore Drive. There is no law that says Chicagoan's cannot still say the John Hancock Center or Building or the Sears Tower. We still will be saying - The Old Post Office too. Both Mag Mile and N Michigan are correct also. Perhaps Mag Mile as Honorary over.... a official change is why.

I can see The full name and River Walk then... or just DuSable RiverWalk also. Still if Lake Sure Drive is officially changed. Is it really that big of a deal? Seems other issues for the - how dare they attitude and name the old swampy part somewhere .... after DuSable. Perhaps if Streeterville was not already named for .... Streeter it could have been DuSableville.

Whether Lake Shore Drive or the Jean Baptiste Point DuSable Drive.... DuSable Drive for short ..... It will still be A -- Lake Shore Drive or Outer Drive for those who choose to. Maps Google may change to the new one with a Lake Shore Drive under it or formally?
Look how Italian Little Italy and University Village are BOTH used by Google maps. Both.

The Mayor may not be on board. Just seems many Alderman are. We may know soon and this year.

I still say Sears Tower and John Hancock Center... though finally say formally known as.... and did they rename the Old Post Offices yet? Guess someone needs to pay $$$ for the naming rights.

Last edited by NoHyping; 04-29-2021 at 08:39 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 09:40 PM

^^ The sponsor didn't just pick a street at random to rename. And it's no coincidence he targeted the most iconic street name in the entire city and one of the most iconic in the country to rename. So let's be honest about what this really is: a race-grievance power play.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
The first time I was looking for Congress so that I could get on the Eisenhower, they just renamed it Ida B Wells. I went past it by accident. Finally found it.

the danger in naming streets is not just for sentimental reasons, but could make people lost. The biggest example are the vanity streets, like one street renamed for a famous person. When you have a fire, if you say the vanity name, the firemen might not find it right away.

the other thing which I am putting my money on is this - its for identity politics. THAT is the main reason. yeah we can still call it Lake Shore Drive even if its named Bozo the Clown Drive. I hate for this city to kiss the ass of identity politics. Period. And you and me both know it.

Sorry they are misusing Dusable's name in their quest for identity politics takeovers. If it wasn't that, they would rename it for a white or Asian person.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:11 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Why is it that things always have to be RE-named? Back in the day, they worried more about naming new things and big projects, for the most part. Lake Shore Drive is already there and has already been named this for 75 years since it was expanded. Are there not any big new projects that we can plaster DuSable's name on if we are compelled to honor him again?

Old 04-30-2021, 12:42 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
I knew before I even opened the article that it would be named after a black person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago