Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 12:48 PM

4,642 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone,

NOT trying to throw fuel to the fire, but given this, as well as what happened last year, I am surprised that things such as COLUMBUS park or BALBOA road, that no one proposed to change CHANGE those names.

Or maybe they did propose it?!?

Myself, I would like to see a move to further and greater assist our homeless veterans before re-naming things!

But that's just ME...

Have a great weekend everyone. Great weather is ahead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 12:52 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
THIS is where your taxes are going to, folks.

This is why this state is broke and poorly run. Stuff like this.

Wonder whose pockets will be getting lined?

Old 04-30-2021, 02:38 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
THIS is where your taxes are going to, folks.

This is why this state is broke and poorly run. Stuff like this.

Wonder whose pockets will be getting lined?
Politics in Chicago never had the claim of all Honest and Wholesome. I always note that people who abhor their place of residence politically in virtually ever way. Should find a State, City/Metro or Rural area that meets their FULL Ideals. Especially if a educated Professional whose degrees go anywhere with them. Looking back at Chicago's now honored Industrialist credited with fighting those whose aim was ALL profit and wanted the Lakefront and Grant Park opened to development. We today PRAISE some for their fighting for it. Still, many of their day SAW THEM AS RADICAL LIBERALS to slow Progress.

Life goes on even after a Bankruptcy also (whether Chicago declares it or the State) .... ask Donald Trump. Even a city has its continued evolution and REMEMBER.... I am OLD enough to realize.... wanting things to just remain the same OR GO BACKWARDS... just is not reality no matter how much we demonize powers that be, newer music even or just culture in general. I can my small hometown area I live and County in more Rural Pa. It is broke too.... Conservative yet Corporate American did far more abandoning it then rescuing it.

Why any street Name needs to be written in stone for any President even in many cities and Chicago for common Expressway names is just cause it is something to hold onto as the way it was so it should remain. In looking at goggle street-views of downtown streets..... many have a - Honorary name and plaque on the streets also today.

Seems to me, If it is a street Name AFTER A PERSON. It is far less likely to be renamed. Congress was not after a person. So it was renamed. Lake Shore Drive is not after a person therefore it was bait for a renaming..... the simple way I see it. So too could as someone mentioned, a RiverWalk.

Race cards being pulled or not or inferred. I see it on the Politics form in most post. Just so clear even if not spoken.... then someone does right out.... and you say.... yeah I could see it for most here.

I noted how William Penn founding Philadelphia (perhaps a difference is officially with the King of England). Still there was only Native American post there before his ideas of a new city there and we were a Colony of England still. Then even he was rebelled against for PROFIT of speculators buying divided land into lots and demonized in his day. Not wanting to bend to their level and wanting his new city to be his Greene Country Towne he envisioned. He ended up even returning to England over it all. Yet his name is all over that city and the State was with his name as part of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I knew before I even opened the article that it would be named after a black person.
Well, do we dispute that DuSable should be noted as Chicago's first official settler of MIXED RACE YES and a immigrant no less before even any legal process to come here.
Can we note history shows a downplay till at least the mid-20th century for whatever reason there was?

Maybe someone should dispute naming Steeterville after a liar, cheat and villain?
We have Streeter as a sort of villain, or maybe just a ultra-Conservative Wild West kinda guy of his day fighting Rich Autocrats when Chicago was getting more Cosmopolitan.

How about some history of Mr Streeter with a prime Chicago downtown neighborhood named for him....
From Wikipedia.
- George Wellington "Cap" Streeter (1837 – January 22, 1921) was an American who became infamous in Chicago for his real estate schemes and oftentimes bizarre eccentricity.
- From 1886 to 1921, Streeter, often through forgery and other manipulative means, attempted to lay claim to 186 acres (0.75 km 2) of Lake Michigan shoreline from various owners.
- Streeter clearly lied about his discovery of the "District of Lake Michigan" in 1886, he referenced a map published in 1821, to determine that his "District" was outside the city limits.
- A storm did not smash Streeter's ship into a sandbar on the night of July 10, 1886. Weather reports for that night make no mention of a storm.
- Streeter did not really believe that he could fill in the shoreline and legally claim the new land; a witness in Streeter's 1902 land fraud trial testified that Streeter had purposely set out to contest the claims of the wealthy shoreline owners.
- Contractor Hank Brusser told the court that Streeter asked him to fill in portions of the shoreline in order to create confusion over land titles. According to Brusser, Streeter said that: "They (the owners of the shoreline) will have to buy us off" and that "We'll get a million out of it".
- The recorder of the general land office, Chester H. Brush, testified that Streeter's title was "a clumsy forgery" with signatures mismatched with offices. Silas Lamoreaux was commissioner and not recorder.

In reality, Streeter orchestrated an elaborate scheme to steal valuable shoreline property. He did not crash his ship on a sandbar, he piloted it to the foot of Superior Street and then obtained permission from the shoreline owner, Fairbank, to leave his ship there temporarily. He left it there for years. Streeter refused to move his ship insisting that he had title to the shoreline, producing a forged land title, concocted his story of crashing on a sandbar, and then proceeded to sell lots that he did not legally own. He even began collecting property taxes for the lots he sold and kept detailed tax records.

YET WE NAMED THE NEIGHBORHOOD AFTER HIM. The city still defines the area even differently then most. The city does not include the Northern portions.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:17 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I knew before I even opened the article that it would be named after a black person.
Irrespective of skin color, DuSable arguably deserves a lot more recognition here than he gets. This can be done far less contentiously than trying to re-brand one of the most iconic streets in America in his name. Unfortunately, racial contentiousness appears to be a feature of this process rather than a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good day everyone,

NOT trying to throw fuel to the fire, but given this, as well as what happened last year, I am surprised that things such as COLUMBUS park or BALBOA road, that no one proposed to change CHANGE those names.
There have been informal proposals to rename Balbo for years so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Other than a couple die-hard old-school Italians, I don't think there are many people so invested in Balbo as a street name that renaming it would be a contentious issue. And there aren't enough old-school Italians left to have the political clout to stop it.

Columbus is a different matter; even so I expect most things named "Columbus" in this city to be renamed in my lifetime.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
"Just slippin' on by on Jean Baptiste Point du Sable, Friday night trouble bound...."
On your way to Guaranteed Rate Field

Old 06-25-2021, 11:00 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Lake Shore Drive renamed to honor Jean Baptiste Point DuSable

Old 06-26-2021, 09:00 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
What can I say, the city is bankrupt, crime is out of control, but let's sit around renaming things on a whim. Glad the city council has proper priorities.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:11 AM

4,951 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Cancel culture at its' finest.
No worries, I still use the John Hancock building in everyday conversion...and Comiskey park.
Hopefully it catches on.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:19 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
I also found this article: https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/06...council-votes/

From this article(and it says the vote was 33-15, and still unsure who the 2 aldermen were who didn't cast a vote on this):

"Those voting no for the change were: Alds. Brian Hopkins(2nd), Marty Quinn (13th), Matt O’Shea (19th), Silvana Tabares (23rd), Ariel Reboyras (30th), Felix Cardona (31st), Nick Sposato (38th), Samantha Nugent (39th), Anthony Napolitano (41st), Brendan Reilly (42nd), Michele Smith (43rd), Tom Tunney (44th), Jim Gardiner (45th), James Cappleman (46th) and Debra Silverstein (50th)"

It's too bad this wasn't rejected. As if this was even needed, and DuSable isn't honored enough in Chicago. I would've personally been okay btw, if they had chosen to rename Columbus Drive or Balbo Drive. But that's just me. And of course, you know everyone will still say Lake Shore Drive.....

Old 06-26-2021, 09:36 AM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Cancel culture at its' finest.
No worries, I still use the John Hancock building in everyday conversion...and Comiskey park.
Hopefully it catches on.
We all of a few years or decades on us do and don't forget ole Sears Tower yet.... still bringing Cancel Culture is ridiculous and this thread NEED NOT GET HUNG ON ANY MORE. How many links I read where people use the older names in Chicago or visitors. Still younger generations who were not living in the eras of the original names.... they will not have that. WE CANNOT CHANGE IT attitude and a new name is just their normal. Then in a couple decades if they want to rename something? They can say I will keep saying .... this name Thank You.

The short and sweet final vote and a compromise..... We ALL get to keep saying just LSD or Lake Shore Drive or even Outer Drive for those perhaps even older then me....LOL.

Even Chicago network local news had African-Americans say they still will be saying Lake Shore Drive and why not. It still is.

Guess we will keep saying Trump Tower if that Trump name is removed.... I did read the city removed the - Honorable Trump Way sign on a street .... I see plenty of them downtown for streets and bridges etc. No biggie.

Better not rename Wrigley Field either.... Then I might wanna fight like to Rickett's Field.... or Rickett's Wrigley Field. .... or I will cry Woke too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago