U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2021, 03:31 PM

9 posts, read 301 times

Advertisements

Hello sorry my first time here and I'm not sure where to post question.

I bought portable washing machine, very small, and I use it to do my laundry for the past month since machines in my apartment building were not working. Since pandemic did not want to go to laundromat so I bought the machine. I put machine inside my tub so in case it leaks tub will catch the water. It works fine, it is not loud, doesn't shake the floor, etc. I did not use hose to connect it to anything (from faucet to the outlet in machine). I just use my shower head, and then drain water when done.

Today my landlord came when I was doing a load and said that there was water leaking down lobby and they said they need to come in for emergency. I showed them my set up in bathroom. They said it was a cute idea but that I need to get rid of it and they left. I told them, again, that I did not connect to anything. I just let the water drain when it was done.

My question is am I going to get a huge fine for causing water leak downstairs?I too scared to go down to look.

I look over my lease it did not say I cannot have a small machine. I did not hook up to anything. Is it their old pipes that cannot handle 5 lbs of water going down the drain at once? My unit is a shower and bathtub combo. If I had taken a bath, the water would of leaked with much force downstairs regardless.

Since they left few hours ago. i'm too scared to take shower, wash my dishes, use toilet

I will listen to landlord as I do not want trouble. I pay rent on time, i only live here for months. I seeking for advice do you think I'm getting a fine? Or landlord will charge me for damages? Please help advice anything will help me thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 04:48 PM

8,400 posts, read 7,277,167 times
I hope you have renters insurance.. I think renters insurance will cover it. But you would have to ask the company. I hope you already have it,, otherwise, might be too late.

Talk to your landlord. Tell them what you told us. Say that there was nothing in the lease that said no to a portable washer.
since the landlord already told you to get rid of it, you might have to.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:01 PM

9 posts, read 301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I hope you have renters insurance.. I think renters insurance will cover it. But you would have to ask the company. I hope you already have it,, otherwise, might be too late.

Talk to your landlord. Tell them what you told us. Say that there was nothing in the lease that said no to a portable washer.
since the landlord already told you to get rid of it, you might have to.
Yes I have renters insurance but i don't want to call renters insurance yet to inform them if landlord hasn't said anything to me yet. We usually have manager on site but since it's the weekend I have to wait till Monday to talk to them. One of the landlords live in the building and was the one knocking at my door so they are aware of what happened. I just don't want to be blindsided by a fine or something to go on my record as a bad tenant or anything. I'm just super nervous and anxious. i have a lot in my plate right now in regards to work and family and to have this added to it on a weekend where I'm supposed to relax and catch up on chores really knocked the wind out of me.

Thank you for trying to help I'll provide updates to see what happens.

Also if anyone else has advice they can give pls let me know thanks.

Old Today, 03:17 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,097,471 times
I guess I don't fully understand - did the water that entered the lobby definitively come from your apartment, and more specifically, from your bathtub? If not, you have nothing to worry about. If it did, are they assuming it was the vibration or something from your machine that somehow loosened the tub drain pipe, and caused it to leak? Did they tell you not to use your tub for bathing purposes until they can get it fixed? If your setup did NOT cause the water leakage, I would be inclined to tell them to go stuff themselves, although I'd probably move the washer out of the tub, I'd just wheel it into the bathroom when you plan to use it, fill it from your shower wand, and then discharge into the tub or toilet. As you said, a bath can use twenty-plus gallons of water, there's no reason it can't take five gallons from a washer discharge. What are you doing for drying, a clothes line in your apartment? A portable electric dryer? Either way, I'd be concerned about humidity inside your apartment. It's probably reasonable if they don't let you set up a drying rack on your balcony.

Old Today, 07:13 AM

505 posts, read 429,635 times
I'd be surprised if renters insurance would cover water damage caused by a rigged up washing machine in a bathtub.

If I were that landlord, I wouldn't believe you either, something about your story seems off.

Old Today, 10:54 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,195,738 times
"I put machine inside my tub so in case it leaks tub will catch the water. It works fine, it is not loud, doesn't shake the floor, etc. I did not use hose to connect it to anything (from faucet to the outlet in machine). I just use my shower head, and then drain water when done."

So you are always moving the washer in and out of the tub each time you use it?

Along with a possible water issue there is a real possibility of a electrocution issue!

Old Today, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I guess I don't fully understand - did the water that entered the lobby definitively come from your apartment, and more specifically, from your bathtub? If not, you have nothing to worry about. If it did, are they assuming it was the vibration or something from your machine that somehow loosened the tub drain pipe, and caused it to leak? Did they tell you not to use your tub for bathing purposes until they can get it fixed? If your setup did NOT cause the water leakage, I would be inclined to tell them to go stuff themselves, although I'd probably move the washer out of the tub, I'd just wheel it into the bathroom when you plan to use it, fill it from your shower wand, and then discharge into the tub or toilet. As you said, a bath can use twenty-plus gallons of water, there's no reason it can't take five gallons from a washer discharge. What are you doing for drying, a clothes line in your apartment? A portable electric dryer? Either way, I'd be concerned about humidity inside your apartment. It's probably reasonable if they don't let you set up a drying rack on your balcony.
Thank you for your response. No they did not say anything about not taking baths. And I placed the machine opposite of the drain, and I never let enough water out to fill it enough to reach the bottom of the machine or across the tub that's why I did little bit at a time. I've seen on youtube of them just placing it in the tub and let it all drain (bottom of machine getting wet) but it felt unsafe so I made sure the washer did not make contact with water.

It had a spin cycle that I use for 15 seconds (gets all water out) and I just hang dry it in my room. I also have a balcony but I don't put my clothes out there.

Thanks again for your response

Old Today, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
I'd be surprised if renters insurance would cover water damage caused by a rigged up washing machine in a bathtub.

If I were that landlord, I wouldn't believe you either, something about your story seems off.
That's the thing I did not connect it to anything-- no faucet that might change the water pressure, nothing. I simply let water go down the drain-- as I would if I would have taken a shower. And the landlord also came in my unit and saw the set up.

I actually met with one of them the same day in the evening and they said they get it but since they had old pipes they just can't have me use it. So out of respect for them I just won't use it anymore

Also, wanted to say thank you again for your response

Old Today, 11:31 AM

9 posts, read 301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
"I put machine inside my tub so in case it leaks tub will catch the water. It works fine, it is not loud, doesn't shake the floor, etc. I did not use hose to connect it to anything (from faucet to the outlet in machine). I just use my shower head, and then drain water when done."

So you are always moving the washer in and out of the tub each time you use it?

Along with a possible water issue there is a real possibility of a electrocution issue!
Thank you for your response,

I just wanted to say that I placed it opposite of the drain-- I let the water drain little bits at a time as I did not want the water to collect and then slowly go down the drain. I was present the entire time so no water touched the machine, but I do understand your perspective.

Old Today, 11:59 AM

15,128 posts, read 27,911,261 times
If there wasn't a provision in the lease you signed, then I don't see how the landlord can actually come after you for damages. However, the landlord does reserve the right to tell you to stop using it, and then if you continue then you could be held responsible. They can't really blame you for going the route you did, if you don't have laundry on site.

I guess it's plausible that, if you're setting this thing in the bathtub, that even a small vibration could break something in some old pipes, but these are old pipes that are going to break and need replaced sooner or later just from regular use.

There shouldn't be an electrocution hazard if the bathroom wiring and grounded outlet are up to code (and if it's not, that's a bigger problem)
I've never used these portable machines, but they seem to be designed to be drained into a bathtub and this isn't an off-label use at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago