U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 698 times

Advertisements

I've started a remote role and am close to being approved for an apartment called The Bachelor on Wilson Avenue. It's a small studio with a rent of 1,000. It's just me so the space is fine. I've lived in worse places. I chose the uptown area because I like Nigerian women. I know it's dumb to move somewhere for the chance of being close to a certain type of woman but here I am dumb as can be lol.

I haven't been in Chicago for 3 years so I'm wondering how is the Uptown neighborhood these days. Is there a lot of crime by the community college? By the Red Line? Can I walk to Target unaccosted? Are there better buildings in the area that you know of?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 09:44 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,410,536 times
It's a little too close to the L stop and college and everything that goes with it for my tastes, so who knows. But in comparison to 30-35 years ago when I had friends living there, it's now a paradise!

Old 05-02-2021, 10:14 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,027,691 times
There were two shootings last week so the usual criminals/enablers are still somewhat entrenched there.

But it does seem as a whole things are improving, especially the residential real estate market.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:10 AM

It's funky too!

https://youtu.be/M1F0lBnsnkE

Old 05-02-2021, 11:28 AM

2,757 posts, read 1,977,124 times
Who knew Uptown was a destination for Nigerian women?

Old 05-02-2021, 01:56 PM

I thought the same.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:53 AM

54 posts, read 17,000 times
Well on its way to full-blown gentrification, though tbideon is right...the last remnants of the old uptown have yet to be removed completely.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:30 AM

1,277 posts, read 939,548 times
West of there is mostly just fine - in fact there are some nice stores/etc along Wilson to the West of that spot.

From where you are at to the East though, a different story. Not sure if you'll get "accosted" but the people walking around there are sketchy a lot of the time. They are building a brand new high rise right on that NE corner, I believe. They tore down the City Sports building finally.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:10 PM

2,757 posts, read 1,977,124 times
I've walked to the Target from Buena Park on a couple of occasions, and I've walked around the Target area at night on occasion. I've been to several shows at the Aragon. I've only once felt unsafe, and that was during the riots this past summer.

Trying to avoid stereotyping, but there is a trend of LGBT people moving into Rogers Park and Uptown, which both border traditional "gayborhoods" Edgewater and the Boystown/Lake View East areas. That has coincided with an increase in development interest.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:05 PM

1,277 posts, read 939,548 times
Interesting about the LGBTQ influx. Hadn't noticed that.

I have walked by Wilson and Broadway, Wilson and Sheridan, and along both Broadway and Sheridan in Uptown and it was extremely uncomfortable several times. We witnessed several drug deals, many people yelling to no-one. My wife was quite scared (and she's a POC).

Back when they did the shared street on Leland in the summer of 2020, we walked east on Leland aiming to go all the way to the lake. In the morning, going eastbound we had no problems. On the way back, it was scary for probably 6 straight blocks. We were relieved to get west of Clark.

Maybe it was a bad day, but I don't think so. I've been through there many times.

Mostly though, west of Broadway isn't too bad, and there are beautiful homes and streets going north/south over there. I'd just avoid the Broadway and Sheridan n/s corridors between Lawrence and Montrose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: