U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 03:57 PM

594 posts, read 275,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I am also looking to move to the area. I am interested in the North Side from Lincoln Park up to Rogers Park and no farther west than Jefferson Park at most. My biggest concern is parking because I will have my car with me.

How do you know which areas to avoid? Are there boundaries of bad areas in the North Side I should be aware of? I know it is impossible to avoid crimes even in good neighborhoods. As someone who is from St. Louis (#1 in crime always but never felt unsafe), I know media tend to exaggerate crime rate because they focus on bad pockets of the city where most crimes are. Chicago is no exception.
You’re looking at a large swath of the north side, so in terms of knowing areas to avoid, it’s easier if you can first narrow down the search a little depending on where you need to be, what kind of commute you want, and what ambiance in the neighborhood.

The north side is “generally” safe. If you are from St. Louis, I think you will be fine in most neighborhoods. In general, it is good to be aware of your surroundings, especially at night. Basic behaviors will get you far, like avoiding loud ear phones so you can hear, looking behind you and around you intermittently, walking with purpose, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I am also looking to move to the area. I am interested in the North Side from Lincoln Park up to Rogers Park and no farther west than Jefferson Park at most. My biggest concern is parking because I will have my car with me.

How do you know which areas to avoid? Are there boundaries of bad areas in the North Side I should be aware of? I know it is impossible to avoid crimes even in good neighborhoods. As someone who is from St. Louis (#1 in crime always but never felt unsafe), I know media tend to exaggerate crime rate because they focus on bad pockets of the city where most crimes are. Chicago is no exception.
Regarding parking (and others have pointed this out), Edgewater is extremely dense in the east and a little more spread out in the west towards Andersonville. I'm planning to park sort of in the mansion-area in the west as I saw plenty of spots. My leasing agent was explaining that there's more parking there because the rich people have garages of their own. I actually think I sort of believe her too. Good luck!

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

637 posts, read 272,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goombalover View Post
Regarding parking (and others have pointed this out), Edgewater is extremely dense in the east and a little more spread out in the west towards Andersonville. I'm planning to park sort of in the mansion-area in the west as I saw plenty of spots. My leasing agent was explaining that there's more parking there because the rich people have garages of their own. I actually think I sort of believe her too. Good luck!
The western section of Edgewater includes the Lakewood-Balmoral Historic District. This portion of Edgewater was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the late 1990s. Its boundaries are Foster Ave., Bryn Mawr Ave., Wayne Ave. and Magnolia Ave.

I recommend that you check into this particular section of Edgewater. It's within walking distance of 2 Red Line stations on the L (Berwyn and Bryn Mawr), and to neighborhood shopping on Broadway as well as Clark St.

Last edited by Nearwest; Yesterday at 11:32 AM..

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

3,940 posts, read 6,353,374 times
Quote:
To be honest I forgot I made this thread! I'm happy to say that I've signed a lease in Edgewater near the Granville stop. It's like right on the border between Edgewater and Rogers Park. I visited last weekend and thought the whole area was absolutely beautiful. I never think of trees when I imagine Chicago but the number of trees in the residential areas really keeps me at peace and I bet it's stunning come fall. I was especially impressed by Sheridan Park in Uptown but couldn't find a ton of places there in my price range. I can't wait to soak in this wonderful place. Thanks for all of ya'll's help.
Is the Thai Grill & Noodle Bar still there? (On the ground floor of the Sovereign apartments on Granville at Winthrop.) It was one of my favorite restaurants when I lived in Chicago.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

407 posts, read 495,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
You’re looking at a large swath of the north side, so in terms of knowing areas to avoid, it’s easier if you can first narrow down the search a little depending on where you need to be, what kind of commute you want, and what ambiance in the neighborhood.

The north side is “generally” safe. If you are from St. Louis, I think you will be fine in most neighborhoods. In general, it is good to be aware of your surroundings, especially at night. Basic behaviors will get you far, like avoiding loud ear phones so you can hear, looking behind you and around you intermittently, walking with purpose, etc.
I am looking for an area that feels like a small town in the middle of a huge city with trees. I am down to rent a studio, 1 to 2 bedroom apartment, or a townhouse depending on the price.

It will be just me and my husband as LGBTQIA+ couple. We are somewhat hippie and very liberal. We are into ethic food and prefer Mom and Pop shops and family owned restaurants more than chain stores and restaurants. We enjoy swimming during summers so that is one pro of Chicago having Lake Michigan.

If I get the job, I will be working for the state as a counselor. My husband is in retail so he can work anywhere. He really enjoys working at sex toy shops the most.

Being from St. Louis and living in Texas for several years, we are very used to having our vehicles. We plan to bring our vehicles so somewhere with more parking would be a plus. My potential job would be either immediately west of the Loop near UI-Chicago or more northwest near Jefferson Park. I believe they are close to train lines so I don't mind getting used to using trains and be less dependent on cars. That way I won't have to use my car as much.

I hope this helps narrowing down areas in North Side.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

407 posts, read 495,129 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing that helpful advice. I will definitely look into western Edgewater near Andersonville. I have been thinking about looking into Andersonville because that is where the gay community are supposed to be living currently after being priced out of Boystown/nearby neighborhoods.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

2,622 posts, read 1,769,982 times
Andersonville is very different from Boystown. They attract very different people regardless of their sexual identity. Andersonville is much quieter than Boystown and Wrigleyville, both of which are a non-stop party. I'm not sure the price differential between the immediate surroundings of Andersonville is much different from those of Boystown/Wrigleyville. That part of Edgewater is a very hot area.

Old Today, 06:03 PM

480 posts, read 310,040 times
Quote:
To be honest I forgot I made this thread! I'm happy to say that I've signed a lease in Edgewater near the Granville stop. It's like right on the border between Edgewater and Rogers Park. I visited last weekend and thought the whole area was absolutely beautiful. I never think of trees when I imagine Chicago but the number of trees in the residential areas really keeps me at peace and I bet it's stunning come fall. I was especially impressed by Sheridan Park in Uptown but couldn't find a ton of places there in my price range. I can't wait to soak in this wonderful place. Thanks for all of ya'll's help.
Happy with this follow up. People on here talking about crime and don't even know the area - good to see you enjoyed it and hope others learn from your positive experience in a beautiful area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago