U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 599 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

I'm moving to Chicago from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I'm a 24yo single male. I'm doing apartment hunting now and will be visiting this weekend to take a look at a couple places. One that has particularly piqued my interest is in Edgewater. It's a great deal for a studio and has parking options that are off-street. The only catch I've been able to find so far is that it's between Bryn Mawr and Foster in the Kenmore blocks. Based on some reading on the forum and a look at the crime map.. this area has a history of crime. How worried should I be? Aside from the potential safety the area seems to be perfect for me. Away from the congestion and loudness of the neighborhoods further south, next to the Lake / Trailhead / Beaches. Close to the Red Line. Near a lot of shops / restaurants. And it's well within my budget (~800).

I appreciate any honest feedback or suggestions of other places to check out. This forum is one of my favorite spots on the internet
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 06:37 AM

151 posts, read 79,385 times
Many decades ago when I was 24 and moving to the city the first place I found online (i.e. Craigslist) was a unit not very far from where you describe (Bryn Mawr & Winthrop). Your post definitely brings back some nostalgia for me. Anyway, I never took that apartment because I spontaneously took a daytrip to thoroughly soak up the atmosphere for a day. When it turned to night, I knew instinctively that it wasn't a place I wanted to live. Perhaps that's improved over the years? Probably, but not by much, I'd guess.

In my opinion, Chicago's northside contains some of the best urban neighborhoods in the country, and maybe even the world, and I mean that sincerely. I just think that part of Edgewater and much of Uptown is about the least desirable part of it, even with its proximity to the lake. Once you're north of Irving Park I tend to stay away east of Broadway. If you go west of Clark up by Foster, you are literally in some of the nicest and most affordable areas of the city. Get closer to Winnemac Park if you can. It's a gorgeous area that feels safe.

Keep in mind, a lot of this is relative too. Most of those areas you describe are quite nice during the day. Obviously the architecture is first-rate, so it's not like you're surrounded by urban decay or Soviet-style high rises. You're in a beautiful area, but just keep in mind the crime is higher and you see more drifters on the sidewalks. I even think it's the Foster/ Wilson or Lawrence underpass (right off Lakeshore) where there are some makeshift tent cities. I would hate living near that.

When I was 24 I settled on Lincoln Park (Fullerton & Orchard), which is obviously more expensive, but my studio then was $660, and adjusted for inflation that was a steal. There are other steals to find today. That studio was the scene of the best years of my life. It could be 4 in the morning and I felt just as safe walking around as if I were in my small hometown. There were many, many people my age who were my neighbors and who shared similar values and life experiences. There was also plenty of diversity, too.

If I had chosen the Edgewater place, I would've spent a lot more time inside my unit, to be perfectly honest.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:09 AM

39 posts, read 6,988 times
Nice place to live. Very diverse, although that's eroded a bit with gentrification. Still can get live out there but generally safe as long as you don't have your face in your phone all the time.

Last edited by Ycomoque; 05-13-2021 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 10:58 AM

2,622 posts, read 1,769,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goombalover View Post
Hi Friends,

I'm moving to Chicago from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I'm a 24yo single male. I'm doing apartment hunting now and will be visiting this weekend to take a look at a couple places. One that has particularly piqued my interest is in Edgewater. It's a great deal for a studio and has parking options that are off-street. The only catch I've been able to find so far is that it's between Bryn Mawr and Foster in the Kenmore blocks. Based on some reading on the forum and a look at the crime map.. this area has a history of crime. How worried should I be? Aside from the potential safety the area seems to be perfect for me. Away from the congestion and loudness of the neighborhoods further south, next to the Lake / Trailhead / Beaches. Close to the Red Line. Near a lot of shops / restaurants. And it's well within my budget (~800).

I appreciate any honest feedback or suggestions of other places to check out. This forum is one of my favorite spots on the internet
That area isn't any more dangerous than anywhere else in the city. In actuality, it's probably one of the safer neighborhoods. Go for it if you like the neighborhood.

Old 05-15-2021, 05:47 AM

2,318 posts, read 6,132,753 times
That area is great. Comparing a neighborhood today to what it was 20 years ago, especially if you haven't stepped foot there since, is pointless.

Walking distance to the beach, diverse (actually diverse... immigrants, all incomes, professionals, musicians, families with kids, cab drivers, retired eastern European pensioners who still speak Russian and wear babushkas, you name it), lots of shady tree lined streets, way affordable than most of the north side, great transit options (both red line and lake shore drive express buses), awesome restaurants (tons of vietnamese, Thai, Ethiopian, japanese, along with other higher end stuff), tons of grocery stores, wonderful old world architecture...

I don't know what safety means to you but I honestly can't imagine a safer/more sedate area that's that dense. I could sleep with my windows open at night in the summer because the neighborhood was so quiet. It's not a nightlife area, if anything it's bookish. Shootings are extremely rare...like maybe once every couple years. You're really not going to do better, even lakeview and wicker park have higher crime rates.

I think there's a lot of people who mentally are stuck in the late 90s and haven't kept up with changes. Real estate values are skyrocketing up there, and gang activity is just not really a thing anymore, esp around Bryn Mawr.

If all of Chicago reassembled Edgewater this city would be a far better place. Keep in mind the red line is just beginning a multi year construction and rebuilding project up there though, so expect delays for the foreseeable future

Last edited by via chicago; 05-15-2021 at 05:58 AM..

Old 05-15-2021, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 3,216 times
90% of males in Chicago would consider Edgewater a safe Chicago neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:52 PM

480 posts, read 310,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
90% of males in Chicago would consider Edgewater a safe Chicago neighborhood.
Gotta be above 90%. This area is completely safe these days and is nothing like where it was a couple decades ago. I wouldn't have a second thought about living here and neither would any of the women that I know. Several girls I knew lived there in their 20s and had no issues even as they were alcoholics who stumbled home drunk somewhat too regularly.

Great area, highly recommend, and you will love Chicago if you live there. If you live there for two months and don't like it, I promise I'll buy you a lunch.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:18 PM

8,458 posts, read 7,330,491 times
Edgewater is good, but a little north, some parts of Rogers Park are bad. Stay in Edgewater. if you go south, you will end up in Uptown and that has some not nice parts.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:09 PM

407 posts, read 495,129 times
I am also looking to move to the area. I am interested in the North Side from Lincoln Park up to Rogers Park and no farther west than Jefferson Park at most. My biggest concern is parking because I will have my car with me.

How do you know which areas to avoid? Are there boundaries of bad areas in the North Side I should be aware of? I know it is impossible to avoid crimes even in good neighborhoods. As someone who is from St. Louis (#1 in crime always but never felt unsafe), I know media tend to exaggerate crime rate because they focus on bad pockets of the city where most crimes are. Chicago is no exception.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 599 times
To be honest I forgot I made this thread! I'm happy to say that I've signed a lease in Edgewater near the Granville stop. It's like right on the border between Edgewater and Rogers Park. I visited last weekend and thought the whole area was absolutely beautiful. I never think of trees when I imagine Chicago but the number of trees in the residential areas really keeps me at peace and I bet it's stunning come fall. I was especially impressed by Sheridan Park in Uptown but couldn't find a ton of places there in my price range. I can't wait to soak in this wonderful place. Thanks for all of ya'll's help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago