Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 05:53 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

So I'll be in Chicago with my Wife sometime in late July for a couple of days. We plan on relying completely on public transportation and uber/lyft to get around town. We'll arrive in Chicago in the afternoon and was wondering how safe is it to take the train from O'Hare all the way to Streeterville? I've heard some conflicting stories about riding the CTA since the pandemic hit. I've heard different responses depending on who you ask. I've definitely heard enough negative that has me questioning if we should just take a uber to the hotel seeing as we'll have luggage with us. I assume people take the train from O'Hare to downtown all the time yet I've heard that's slowed down due to the pandemic.

Btw, I've been to Chicago twice before but when I was much younger. So I'm not completely new but this will be my first time visiting downtown. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 06:16 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
You’ll be safe, ridership is on a slow incline because things are gradually opening back up so you’ll see more riders than 6-9 months ago. It looks like you will be arriving at a reasonable time of day so there’s nothing to worry about, of course this is a big city and you’ve been here before so just keep your head on a swivel without looking nervous.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:25 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
In some of those "conflicting stories" I bet people comment that there are bums, winos, homeless people, shady looking characters, etc..on the trains now. Fact is, they've always been there but, because the trains were full, no one really noticed. There are very few issues on the Blue line especially in the afternoon.

Where about in Streeterville are you staying? From the Blue line to your hotel can be a bit of a walk especially with luggage.

As in any big city, be aware of your surroundings. Enjoy your trip!

Old 05-18-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
In some of those "conflicting stories" I bet people comment that there are bums, winos, homeless people, shady looking characters, etc..on the trains now. Fact is, they've always been there but, because the trains were full, no one really noticed. There are very few issues on the Blue line especially in the afternoon.

Where about in Streeterville are you staying? From the Blue line to your hotel can be a bit of a walk especially with luggage.

As in any big city, be aware of your surroundings. Enjoy your trip!
We'll be staying at Loews Hotel. Yeah I noticed google maps suggested we take the bus from the station nearest Loews Hotel once we're off the blue line.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:55 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
If packing light with just carry-ons it's walkable.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:18 PM

606 posts, read 354,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
We'll be staying at Loews Hotel. Yeah I noticed google maps suggested we take the bus from the station nearest Loews Hotel once we're off the blue line.
Or you could get off the blue and transfer to red to Grand. It might shave 8-10 minutes off your walk to the hotel if you were planning on exiting at Washington.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Streeterville is one of the ritziest downtown neighborhoods and is in the heart of downtown Chicago, so safety is not a concern. Tons of people take the train into downtown from O'Hare (although it's likely much less during the pandemic). By, July things should be hopping, so you likely won't have any issues. As other have said, homeless on the blue line are the biggest issue, but not in the afternoon.

As others have mentioned, the biggest issue is that Streeterville is a good distance (with luggage) from a CTA stop (there isn't a stop directly in the neighborhood). You may want to take the CTA from O'Hare into the Loop, and then Uber from the Loop if you have a lot of luggage.

You will need to physically go outside of the station and walk to transfer from the blue to the red line, and then you'd probably take the red line to either the Chicago station (red) or Grand station (red) and then walk to where you are in Streeterville. I love walking, so of I didn't have much luggage I'd probably just walk. But you're probably looking at about a 15-20 min walk depending on where you are, and if you want to avoid the hassle, Ubering from the Loop may be easiest.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:32 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The buses aren't ideal IMO unless you're familiar with them. And with luggage, they can be even more inconvenient depending on how crowded they are. They can be a little confusing too. Although people downtown should be able to help you navigate, so it should be okay.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:17 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Take the CTA from O'Hare to downtown Chicago (get off on Randolph or Washington stop). you will now be on Dearborn St and Randolph St. then you have to go upstairs to street level and take a cab or Uber to your hotel. with luggage, you might want to get off on Dearbon and Randolph and then walk on the underground walkway that will take you to State Street and you will have an escalator take you up to street level if your luggage will be too heavy to walk upstairs.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:00 AM

Wow thanks for all the suggestions. I hope Chicagoans are this friendly in person. Usually when I visit a city I like to come on City Data first to engage and get a certain vibe of the people. Sometimes even the simplest of questions are met with one or 2 smug comments. You guys seem to go out your way and I appreciate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago