U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 09:18 PM

16 posts, read 2,657 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I just got a job offer with a company in Chicago and will be relocating there within the next couple of weeks. The only problem is that I have never been in Chicago before and know nothing about it! I need to find a rental apartment and need advice on the different neighborhood options. The company's office is located in West Loop Gate. I am looking for a 1-br apartment and would not like to spend more than $1,800 per month.

It would be nice to know:

Does public transportation in Chicago work well? I would rather use public transportation than having to drive my car everyday to work. It would be even better if I could just walk to work.

I am looking to live in a peaceful neighborhood with good connections to public transportation. I would also like to live near parks or public spaces where I can just go out for a walk any time I want. Any suggestions?

I have one car, so I would like to know what is the situation with the parking spots in Chicago? Do rental apartments usually include parking spaces, or would I need to rent a parking place separately?

I would really appreciate any advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 10:53 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,082,013 times
Public transit is good in a big chunk of the city. The neighborhoods with the best public transit are going to have the worst street parking, unfortunately. Lakeview is a common neighborhood for people new to Chicago and you can easily find a 1br for $1800. In this neighborhood, I would expect to pay $100-200/mo for a private parking spot.

You can also live in the West Loop which will be near your work. West Loop is pretty quiet and laid back, but won't have as many "cool" things to do as Lakeview.

Also check Lincoln Park. It's a nice, quiet area that's walkable and has good access to public transit. Parking is slightly better than Lakeview.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:12 AM

Thank you so much for your reply! I was looking at Lincoln Park; it looks like a nice area. West loop could also be a good option too based on the prices I have seen so far and based on the fact that I could just walk to work.

I know that winter in Chicago is pretty tough. Is it possible to walk to work during winter season?

Also, Is it possible to just park my car on the street? Would I need a permit to do that? The maximum amount that I want to spend on rent + parking is 1,800 so if the parking costs 200, then my budget for the apartment would be 1,600.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:46 AM

1,239 posts, read 888,714 times
What do you like? West Loop is a very nice, expensive area with tons of high end dining. Not sure of anyone that would say there wasn't much to do there.

If you are in your 20s, Lakeview/Wrigleyville might fit - kind of a post-college crowd with more drunken nightlife.

Lincoln Park is very nice - you can also look into Wicker Park.

Bottom line is you haven't given us enough information - just budget.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:13 PM

594 posts, read 276,065 times
Street parking is a challenge in most desirable neighborhoods. A lot of residential streets are zoned parking, which helps a little. You can get a zoned parking sticker for your block to go with your city sticker that you will absolutely have to buy if you want a car in the city. If you need a car a d can afford a private spot, it’s the way to go. Depending on how often you use your car, you might want to go for a covered spot since winters are tough. Outdoor spots are generally cheaper in Chicago than covered or indoor parking. Not every apartment has spots to rent, so sometimes you will rent parking separately from your apartment.

Walking to work is doable in winter with the right coat. Get a down coat, and don’t skimp on it. A good coat is an investment and will absolutely pay off. It can make a huge difference in your daily life in winter.

For neighborhoods, what else are you looking for besides your budget, parks, and proximity to public transit? I disagree with a previous poster who said the west loop is quiet with not a lot to do. It was when I lived there in the mid 2000s, but it has developed a ton. It has a lot of fine dining options, but may be too pretentious for more down-to-earth types. It’s also probably too expensive if you want parking within the $1800, and it’s more of a concrete jungle vibe. Neighborhoods further north will have more greenery and a more neighborhood like vibe.

What is a reasonable commute to you? What kind of building do you want to live in? High rise? Mid rise? Courtyard building? 3 flat?

Old 05-20-2021, 05:08 PM

15,139 posts, read 27,978,637 times
If I worked in the West Loop and had <$1800 for a budget on a 1br, I'd find something right there in the West Loop, no doubt.

Quote:
Is it possible to walk to work during winter season?
The closer you are to work, the easier it is. Also, there's enough going on nearby after work that you might not need to drive to that.

Parking garages in the West Loop are plenty, especially along Canal, Clinton and such streets west of the river. You can probably get monthly parking for $100 or less, if it's too expensive for your taste on site wherever you end up.

West Loop has a fast-growing, fast-changing dynamic about it. It's a part of this city that challenges any idea that folks in some other parts of the country might have of Chicago as a dead, dying, past-its-prime, stagnant, Rust Belt etc. kind of place. You can catch shade on a hot day (and we do get them) under the construction cranes over there, as of late.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:17 PM

10,254 posts, read 19,899,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred86 View Post

I know that winter in Chicago is pretty tough. Is it possible to walk to work during winter season?
I worked outside in Chicago for 35 years so I think walking to work is no big deal. Dress warm and get good galoshes to keep your feet dry and protect your shoes.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
What do you like? West Loop is a very nice, expensive area with tons of high end dining. Not sure of anyone that would say there wasn't much to do there.

If you are in your 20s, Lakeview/Wrigleyville might fit - kind of a post-college crowd with more drunken nightlife.

Lincoln Park is very nice - you can also look into Wicker Park.

Bottom line is you haven't given us enough information - just budget.
Well, I am in my 30's, married but separated. I do not like to party that much anymore. I prefer to live in a peaceful, and most importantly, safe area with green spaces around it and not so much going on. I like to go out for a walk every so often and also enjoy jogging and running. I am pretty active and like to exercise a lot. I like to have quiet neighbors and would of course much rather live in a house with a garden than in a high rise. However I don't think that this is going to be a possibility with my budget and in a big city like Chicago.

How do people usually commute to work in Chicago? Is it better/cheaper to use public transportation than a car?

Old 05-21-2021, 05:22 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,239,489 times
IMHO, just rent for the first year near your work location. Take advantage of the time savings by not having to commute. Then get out exploring the city and what it has to offer, as well as the neighborhoods. You'll figure the lay of the land and quickly learn whats appealing to you. After a year, make your more permanent move. Trying to find a perfect spot during the initial relocation as well as starting a new job can be too much, even in the best of times. Take your time!

Old 05-21-2021, 07:48 AM

1,071 posts, read 902,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
IMHO, just rent for the first year near your work location. Take advantage of the time savings by not having to commute. Then get out exploring the city and what it has to offer, as well as the neighborhoods. You'll figure the lay of the land and quickly learn whats appealing to you. After a year, make your more permanent move. Trying to find a perfect spot during the initial relocation as well as starting a new job can be too much, even in the best of times. Take your time!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BOBNCHI again."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago