Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2021, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 10,865 times

Advertisements

Without going into too much detail my job is relocating me to either the South or West sides. I should note these are not the safe neighborhoods these are the dangerous neighborhoods. I currently take public transportation to get everywhere, but I’m afraid of using it in some of these places because of the notorious gang activity and bad things happening in these places.

I would be taking either Southbound Redline, Green line, or Blue line West towards Austin.

Can anyone give me tips about what to do and not to do? Also if I need to walk down side streets what should I do?

Also debating about buying a bullet proof vest

Old 05-22-2021, 07:32 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,357,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKNWJXNQ View Post
Without going into too much detail my job is relocating me to either the South or West sides. I should note these are not the safe neighborhoods these are the dangerous neighborhoods. I currently take public transportation to get everywhere, but I’m afraid of using it in some of these places because of the notorious gang activity and bad things happening in these places.

I would be taking either Southbound Redline, Green line, or Blue line West towards Austin.

Can anyone give me tips about what to do and not to do? Also if I need to walk down side streets what should I do?

Also debating about buying a bullet proof vest
What kind of job would that be to relocate you to the south or west sides? Drug dealer? This sounds ridiculous and trollish.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:45 PM

10 posts, read 10,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
What kind of job would that be to relocate you to the south or west sides? Drug dealer? This sounds ridiculous and trollish.
teacher

Old 05-22-2021, 07:58 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,178,741 times
If you don't think that you will be comfortable on public transportation, you should consider buying a car, carpooling or ubering each day. The questions is much to inexact for someone to explain what the dangers are and where in two areas of the city.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:28 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
Depends on where your job is located. I wrote elsewhere on City Data that i know someone that moved to the west side and i was concerned about my safety when visiting them. I was totally freaking out.. so i drove there and observed the neighborhood and it was not as bad as i thought.

Now i would not ever dare regularly go to some areas of the west side or south side. I have had to go to Englewood and i survived. but that was one time. it depends on where you are going. you still have to go thru that neighborhood side streets to get to your job.

I'm familiar with a lot of Chicago, what is the area you are going to (just the busy streets like you'd say "Western and 25th Street".)

Also one clue is this - is there a hospital or some big business near there? if so, then most likely people from all over the city will work there, and probably will be a mix of races.

Also, social workers and other people have to go make home visits and they must be able to survive, right? Talk to them and see what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: