Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,207,914 times

Advertisements

For good beer you can't go wrong with Map Room, Hopleaf, or Quenchers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
I want to like the Hop Leaf, but ever since they started serving food you can barely squeeze yourself into that place. Adding food has also substantially boosted the douchebag quotient among its patrons. And finally, I can't stand bartenders who act like their customers are an annoyance rather than the source of their income. A bare hint of gratitude that I just paid $7 for a glass of beer would be nice. Even when I lived in Andersonville I couldn't bring myself to go to that place any more than a couple times a year.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
I recently went to the Hopleaf with my wife and inlaws and it took us 2-1/2 hours to get a table. This was at 7:00 on a Saturday night mind you, but that's still ridiculous. I like to go there over a holiday when everyone leaves town or during a blizzard. Otherwise it's ridiculous. And I'm always a bit skeptical about their "seating list". I wouldn't be surprised to see the hostess pulling favors for her friends or for those who "grease" her.

But the food an beer does make up for it at the end of the night... "Muscles Plate for Two" is something I crave regularly. So I'll be waiting until the Bears are in the Superbowl, Christmas Eve, or the Great Blizzard of '08 to head there again.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,402 times
Smallbar in Logan Square or the Smallbar down on Division/Damen.

Lava Lounge and Smartbar for good music.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:59 AM

75 posts, read 224,481 times
if you want a bar where you can dress/act anyway, and have a HUGE variety of people, go to Jacquelines on Broadway & Roscoe. Its my fave neighborhood bar. No food, just drinks, but the people are very diverse and friendly. They have a great jukebox too. Greg & Ted, the main bartenders, are awesome. Great place to just chill out with a beer.
And very few "young-ins"

Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,162 times
How about the other end of the spectrum..one of my fav dives: Johnny's (Lincoln Ave)

http://www.chicagobarproject.com/reviews/Johnnie's/Johnnie'sStreetShotSP.jpg (broken link)

Its run by an old Czech guy who opens the place when he feels like it. Theres no signifying marks on the building, just a creaky, sunbleached Hamm's sign. The windows havent been washed in 20 years. Theres an iron gate in front of the door, which is always locked. If you didnt know better you'd think the place had closed decades ago. You have ring a bell to be admitted, and IF he's in the mood, he might open it up for you. Its kind of creepy but cool...in a David Lynch sort of way. Unfortunately as the area gentrifies these classic Chicago dives are falling by the wayside for $10 martini bars. But he's refused to sell and it will likely remain until he passes on.

Johnny's Lounge Review by Sean Parnell (http://www.chicagobarproject.com/reviews/Johnnie%27s/Johnnie%27s.htm - broken link)

Last edited by via chicago; 05-15-2008 at 08:08 AM..

Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Ha! I saw Johnnie's yesterday as I rolled past it on the train and I was just thinking to myself, "I wonder if that joint is still open..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago