Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 04:43 PM

20 posts, read 27,483 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Moving to Chicago from Philly. I will be working around the Dearborn Street area. I am trying to find out two things.

1) The areas to live in that would have a commutable distance under an hour. 30 minute commute would be preferred. An area that would be fairly safe for my husband and I to live as new to the area. We were considering Ravens Wood or Lincoln Park area.

2) Also , checking options not to take the train to work in the winter lol , so hoping to live close enough to drive into work in the morning with a 30-45 minute commute. Chicago traffic I have read is really crazy but just dont want to be on the train in the winter if I can help it. I looked online and saw a few parking garages around $200 a month.

Thank you in advance Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 06:38 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Chicago has long streets, so it's hard to tell where you are working on Dearborn St.

That said, Lincoln Park is more convenient to downtown than Ravenswood if you ever need to drive and even for public transportation.

Lincoln Park is a beautiful, safe neighborhood right near the park. Lots of restaurants, shops, bars. Renting is not too expensive. Buying, on the other hand, the townhomes start around $1 million, although there are lots of condos in high rises along the park. I'm assuming you're looking to rent. If you're looking to buy, Ravenswood would definitely be the better option unless you are wealthy.

Ravenswood is a great neighborhood, it's just a lot farther from the downtown core.

As someone moving from a new city, I'd probably start out in Lincoln Park.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:51 PM

Yes I am looking to rent for sure. Thank you this was great advice.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:07 AM

In the case of living and working downtown Chicago it seems like it would be more convenient or easier to get to and from work but do people generally stay in their neighborhoods ? If I live in Lincoln Park on a daily basis would it be easy to
1. Grocery Shop
2. Go to Malls, Movies
3. Parking for my car while I am running errands

I see plenty of restaurants but I cant image I would be going out to eat daily lol I know in NY which is another large city people in Brooklyn stay in Brooklyn , People in Queens stay in queens for the most part. It seems it would be easier to move around daily in your car living in the suburbs of Chicago however its a double edged sword. If you live in the suburbs your commute into the city daily is longer, harder and in the winter colder lol

What are your thoughts? Again I am from Philly so I have not really lived in a large city like Chicago before. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:18 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Use Google maps and zero in to the neighborhood(s) you are considering. In the city, I generally like to zoom in to see about 1 -1.5 miles of a area I'm interested in, then tap the the various search filters Google offers. Don't forget to tap the Transportation button to see the L, bus and Metra rail routes! You'll quickly get a sense of what is or is not, convenient or available. Everyone is different as to determining if a area is walkable, convenient, accessible...or not.

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 06-06-2021 at 07:27 AM..

Old 06-06-2021, 12:18 PM

734 posts, read 483,159 times
So long as your $$ is right, you've got lots of good choices nearer to downtown, if not in downtown. Outside of it, I'd look at Lincoln Park, River North/Oldown/Gold Coast, Wicker Park and Bucktown.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
I live in Ravenswood. It's about 45 minutes by L to the loop. This might improve in the next year or so with the new Brown Line Flyover that the CTA is building at the Belmont interchange.

Lincoln Park is within 30 minutes; Other neighborhoods to consider are West Lakeview, South Loop, West Loop, West Town. You don't mention your age or budget. These are close...they are also expensive and tend to skew towards a younger 20-something population. Logan Square, Bridgeview, Pilsen skew a bit older, perhaps a bit less expensive.

As for driving downtown every day, trains are more reliable than roads with inclement weather. Especially when we get deep snow, it may be several days before side streets are cleared. You mention $200 parking--that's low for a monthly rate downtown. You may also pay close to that for monthly parking at home, unless you park on the street. If you park on the street, bank on shoveling out your car and the parking spot, and you'll either need to claim 'dibs' (that's a whole other thread) or shovel out a new spot when you get home. On average, Chicago has 12 measurable snowfalls per year that would require shoveling or snow plowing--some might be three inches, some might be 3 feet.

Last edited by MarianRavenwood; 06-06-2021 at 12:54 PM..

Old 06-06-2021, 03:29 PM

31 posts, read 31,354 times
It really depends on what your budget is and where the work location is. Dearborn is many miles long so we need to know if the work location is downtown, south loop, river north etc.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
I live in Lincoln Park, and there is a Trader Joe's, Target, Walmart, Walgreens, Mariano's (similar to Wegmans), the park for exercising. The later 3 are technically down the street in Lakeview, so as you can see, many people move throughout the city. But technically I don't really have to leave my immediate neighborhood, but many people move throughout neighborhoods.

Since COVID, I have been teleworking much of the time, so I don't move around the city as much as I normally did, but pre-COVID, I commuted to work and met up with friends, networking event, happy hours, sports leagues, etc. all throughout the city.

Parking can be tricky. I find that given how expensive parking is, and how tricky it can be to find; I generally rely on public transportation. But the public transportation is great here. I lived in Philly (University City) for 2 years and had a car, so I'm not as familiar with the SEPTA (I did ride it sometimes), but Chicago's public transportation is great. Parking downtown can be very expensive, but for a city as big as Chicago, it's actually not that bad to drive in.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:24 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I live in Lincoln Park, and there is a Trader Joe's, Target, Walmart, Walgreens, Mariano's (similar to Wegmans), the park for exercising. The later 3 are technically down the street in Lakeview, so as you can see, many people move throughout the city. But technically I don't really have to leave my immediate neighborhood, but many people move throughout neighborhoods.

Since COVID, I have been teleworking much of the time, so I don't move around the city as much as I normally did, but pre-COVID, I commuted to work and met up with friends, networking event, happy hours, sports leagues, etc. all throughout the city.

Parking can be tricky. I find that given how expensive parking is, and how tricky it can be to find; I generally rely on public transportation. But the public transportation is great here. I lived in Philly (University City) for 2 years and had a car, so I'm not as familiar with the SEPTA (I did ride it sometimes), but Chicago's public transportation is great. Parking downtown can be very expensive, but for a city as big as Chicago, it's actually not that bad to drive in.
And Lincoln Park has a great high school right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago