Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 06:57 AM

61 posts, read 100,995 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

We moved to Missouri just in time to go to work, start school and buy a house -- and just in time for the pandemic. So, now that we're emerging into New Normal Times, we're itching to get on the road and see some stuff.

Mod cut. To those of you currently in Chicago -- would you agree? Second, what would be your suggestions on places to see while in Chicago to get an authentic snapshot of the city? For bucket list sights, we'll also be going to The Field Museum, The Shedd Aquarium and The Art Institute.

Thanks so much for your time!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-02-2021 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Please leave racial issues out of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 08:24 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1964 View Post
Greetings!

We moved to Missouri just in time to go to work, start school and buy a house -- and just in time for the pandemic. So, now that we're emerging into New Normal Times, we're itching to get on the road and see some stuff.

[Snip.] To those of you currently in Chicago -- would you agree? Second, what would be your suggestions on places to see while in Chicago to get an authentic snapshot of the city? For bucket list sights, we'll also be going to The Field Museum, The Shedd Aquarium and The Art Institute.

Thanks so much for your time!
Modo cut.

It seems like with Covid cases down and vaccinations up, a lot of companies are starting to bring employees back into the office on a hybrid basis at least. Chicago's prepared for tourism and street fests are starting to get scheduled. The state is on pace to reach Phase 5 (basically no Covid restrictions except for some indoor masking for those that aren't vaccinated).

Mod cut.

The Sox and Cubs are in first place, and the ballparks are getting filled up. Several restaurants are still embracing the outdoor dining that they never had prior to 2020. I'd say wait the week or two until we hit phase 5 and then come to Chicago. To me, this seems like a great time to visit. With that said, I'd check out the following:

-Go to a beach, either Oak Street or Montrose. Montrose is further from downtown.
-I'm a Sox fan, but even I'd say check out a game at Wrigley Field, or at least a ballpark tour if the Cubs aren't in town.
-The museums are all nice. I'm not a huge fan of wasting nice weather in a museum, but if it's an itch you need to scratch, I'd prioritize Museum of Science and Industry over some of the other options, but the ones you had in your post are more conveniently located.
-Get a deep dish pizza somewhere and thin crust! Lou Malnati's or Uno's for deep dish. Everyone will have their own opinions on thin crust - there's a lot of lists of good places you can find online. I wouldn't getting thin at Lou Malnati's. I find it disappointing. I'd venture out to a neighborhood place. D'Agostino's in Wrigleyville is pretty good without having to go to the outskirts of the city.
-Get a view on the ferris wheel at Navy Pier and then leave Navy Pier.
-Chicago River architecture tour
-Bike the Lakefront Trail
-Chinatown

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-02-2021 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Please leave racial issues out of this thread.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:34 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
fusillirob1983, good morning...

GREAT IDEAS YOU SHARED!

And I appreciate how a Sox fan would be willing to do a Cubs game! Not everyone is open-minded like that!

That said, I still have NEVER been in either stadium. Shame on me!

Personally, I enjoy riding a bike through the neighborhoods, and in particular the "ethnic" neighborhoods. So YES, to Chinatown!!!

Old 06-02-2021, 10:51 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chic...s-chicago.html

Old 06-02-2021, 03:16 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...-Illinois.html

Old 06-09-2021, 12:00 PM

Mod cut.

My advice on visiting Chicago: DO.

I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and am constantly coming down to the suburbs as well as the northwest of Chicago (and many other areas!). Right now, as of my writing this on June 9th, 2021 - if anyone I knew from out of town asked me about visiting Chicago, I would tell them DO COME TO CHICAGO. (In fact, I brought down 7 friends from Milwaukee this past Saturday and we bike from Lincolnwood to Lincoln Square to Lakeview, to the Lake front to Andersonville and back to Lincolnwood). If you do, you are going to have a great time. I am not joking around and I am not being over dramatic.

If possible, please spread the word. EVERY TIME I have come down (countless times, mind you, and in all parts of the city) I have felt SAFE.

Do yourself a favor and SAVE SOME TIME TO COME TO CHICAGO AND HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE. Stay in Chicago for the time being.....

Look, I've said it before, we know automobile accidents occur on highways all around us; but do we stop driving???

Like anything in life, use common sense, be street safe, be courteous, be confident.

No good parent would try to put their children in harm's way. I have 3 children. As an out of towner, I wouldn't subject my children if it put their lives in jeopardy. My kids have spent several YEARS of times coming to different parts of Chicago. I appreciate the times we spent together there.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-09-2021 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (reference to post which has been deleted).

Old 06-09-2021, 12:40 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
The only negative thing I agree with above is that Michigan Ave has definitely had some problems with huge groups of kids fighting with each other and harassing others. It's not happening like all the time, but it has happened a few times and frankly I have no desire to go to Michigan Ave.

I wouldn't do a museum in the summer. Do that in the winter/spring.

Now?

Ballgames
Lakefront beaches
Millennium Park
Navy Pier
Outdoor/rooftop dining

Old 06-09-2021, 01:11 PM

Kmanshouse, YES!

I asked about Gene's Deli rooftop when I was there Satutday..

It looks like maybe by end of June it can open up!

As are some street fests! I believe Festa Pasta Vino on 24th and Oakley is going to happen for Father's Day weekend! I'll be there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago