Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 07:38 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
They chose to live behind one of the biggest nightclubs in the city (Soundbar), what did they expect? Zero sympathy.

BTW, I love Soundbar and when I was married we used to get dressed up and waived in past the line because we made a striking couple. Your friend should just take advantage ("when in Rome, etc, etc").
I don't feel sympathy either. However, the alderman is very adversarial to the clubs, as I'm sure you're aware. They're not alone in their disdain. I love Sound-bar too and I'm excitedly awaiting their reopening. Always been a line cutter there too, but not necessarily because I'm particularly "striking". Haha.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:44 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I don't feel sympathy either. However, the alderman is very adversarial to the clubs, as I'm sure you're aware. They're not alone in their disdain. I love Sound-bar too and I'm excitedly awaiting their reopening. Always been a line cutter there too, but not necessarily because I'm particularly "striking". Haha.
I hate Reilly. I hope with redistricting we get someone new.

That said, he's not anti-club per se, I think that reputation is mostly from his fighting Bottled Blonde, which was because they were essentially operating a club with just a restaurant license. I like clubs,, but they should get the right licenses.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:02 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
I hate Reilly. I hope with redistricting we get someone new.

That said, he's not anti-club per se, I think that reputation is mostly from his fighting Bottled Blonde, which was because they were essentially operating a club with just a restaurant license. I like clubs,, but they should get the right licenses.
He was extremely antagonistic toward Sound-Bar and tried to get them shut down after the shooting.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:29 AM

731 posts, read 484,378 times
Quote:
...The whole Belmont area used to be filled with punks (hence the former "Punkin' Donuts")...
Well, you did have to go somewhere after Medusa's.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times
Well now they are going to build a low income highrise on the south end of the Loop right across from the library for people making less than $75,000.

So now the plan to destroy the suburbs and the city is happening by them wanting to mix higher income and lower income together.

Degredation of the Loop now.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coccino View Post
So people earning less than 75K degenerate neighborhoods?
If they let in Section 8 or other people of bad reputation, as we see reported in the news and even in City Data, and I dont mean race in case thats what your mind jumps to, then yes, already the bidet administration wants to destroy the single family home way of living in the suburbs, and this is the beginning.

Remember, the news said it was people UNDER $75,000.. which could mean Section 8 monies they receive each month.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:08 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Good morning,

I think that maybe the areas such as Edison Park and Mt. Greenwood are going to stay being the safest, as long as Chicago keeps the residency requirement, because MANY of the great Chicago Police Department are residents in these mentioned community areas.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:10 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
If they let in Section 8 or other people of bad reputation, as we see reported in the news and even in City Data, and I dont mean race in case thats what your mind jumps to, then yes, already the bidet administration wants to destroy the single family home way of living in the suburbs, and this is the beginning.

Remember, the news said it was people UNDER $75,000.. which could mean Section 8 monies they receive each month.
Makes me wonder where in the city or suburbs you live.... and what is the bar for decent living people? We know builders can get away with building lower-income housing a % in their new buildings by just giving millions to the city to build it elsewhere..... So plenty get built WITHOUT added that lower-income miniums.

Really, if someone is making $50,000? Probably NYC they get section 8. Not sure if in Chicago?? I know decades ago Presidential Towers you know... near west Loop between the river and Kennedy. That was with some gov monies I believe and has affordable perhaps subsidized rents? Still I doubt it killed development.

Is there fear some new Cabrini-Green is going to develop? Criminal types do NOT use the system. They fail to even qualify. Still I can see still ways they will find to push up incomes for profits.

Still ..... at least it is not RENT CONTROL as a government program that places a limit on the amount that a landlord can demand for leasing a home or renewing a lease. NYC we know has this and Manhattan did not get all ghetto.... is that what you infer that the South Loop is gonna go to pot cause of this.... Maybe it already did in your eyes with all the student housing.....

Besides, nothing is a done deal till built and proven how it is. It is Chicago... just as there were loop-holes for developers forced to add a % of what is called - Affordable housing to a % of its building. They will find others no doubt and Alderman granting exceptions in Da Chicaaaaago Way.

But then maybe a McDonald's worker will be able to get a subsidized apt there.... and walk to work and be a bad-arse for the neighborhood.....

Old 06-17-2021, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Makes me wonder where in the city or suburbs you live.... and what is the bar for decent living people? We know builders can get away with building lower-income housing a % in their new buildings by just giving millions to the city to build it elsewhere..... So plenty get built WITHOUT added that lower-income miniums.

Really, if someone is making $50,000? Probably NYC they get section 8. Not sure if in Chicago?? I know decades ago Presidential Towers you know... near west Loop between the river and Kennedy. That was with some gov monies I believe and has affordable perhaps subsidized rents? Still I doubt it killed development.

Is there fear some new Cabrini-Green is going to develop? Criminal types do NOT use the system. They fail to even qualify. Still I can see still ways they will find to push up incomes for profits.

Still ..... at least it is not RENT CONTROL as a government program that places a limit on the amount that a landlord can demand for leasing a home or renewing a lease. NYC we know has this and Manhattan did not get all ghetto.... is that what you infer that the South Loop is gonna go to pot cause of this.... Maybe it already did in your eyes with all the student housing.....

Besides, nothing is a done deal till built and proven how it is. It is Chicago... just as there were loop-holes for developers forced to add a % of what is called - Affordable housing to a % of its building. They will find others no doubt and Alderman granting exceptions in Da Chicaaaaago Way.

But then maybe a McDonald's worker will be able to get a subsidized apt there.... and walk to work and be a bad-arse for the neighborhood.....
Oh yes, you reminded me - Presidential Towers, once was nice, but read the apartment reviews, if they are still up, that place went to hell. though not necessarily low income but lousy management.

Maybe I'm right or wrong about this new development. .but when i put two things together, #1 the desire to mix in low income housing with single family suburban homes and #2 the news stated that this new building was going to be put up, i totaled the two together. Lets hope I am wrong. Section 8 always has a bad reputation, even though seniors who are nice, might receive Section 8, but the bad tenants ruin everything. of course the city is not the suburbs, however Biden is the president of the country and he wanted to begin in the suburbs, but that could trail into the city, especially with Lightfoot in charge. it could happen anywhere.

just a note - Section 8 is already living in the expensive high rises downtown and the near north side, i.e. one building on Lake Shore Drive on the very east end of it before it curves around Oak St, thats one. the building has not gone to junk, but you have poeple paying very very high rent along with very very low section 8 rent. A building in the Gold Coast also has section 8 & the renters who pay full price do not like it, you can read it in the apartment reviews.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:37 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,649 times
Ahh the Presidential Towers... Had a buddy who lived there in the 90s. It did have some prestige back then.

Also let's remember what happened to Cabrini Green with the mixed income homes. If I recall correctly when the developers were pre-selling the new townhomes a great many of them sold before construction even began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago