Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 12:40 AM

249 posts, read 181,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
Everyone here is an armchair observer.. it is completely fine from a safety perspective to be in RiNo. I hate the tourists and the 'bros' in that area, but have never felt unsafe in the slightest. Definitely do not need street smarts in that part of town - violent crime is very low there and you guys are bringing up a couple isolated, targeted crimes.
If they think River North is unsafe can you imagine what they think of Pilsen or Humboldt Park? Probably hell on earth. They see a few unsavory characters and they probably speed dial 911. I mean it's not Wheaton or Naperville but Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the US. Seriously, what do they expect?

Old 06-14-2021, 07:22 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
If they think River North is unsafe can you imagine what they think of Pilsen or Humboldt Park? Probably hell on earth. They see a few unsavory characters and they probably speed dial 911. I mean it's not Wheaton or Naperville but Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the US. Seriously, what do they expect?
Maybe a crime rate more along the lines of Soho's or the Upper East Side's as opposed to the Bronx???

Old 06-14-2021, 08:46 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Maybe a crime rate more along the lines of Soho's or the Upper East Side's as opposed to the Bronx???
Are you citing some statistics that can be shared?

You're comparing specific parts of Manhattan with an entire borough, which is the first thing that makes me wonder.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:44 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
There are a lot of hand-wringing, alarmist responses in this thread. We have just moved into the Loop from Atlanta and while there are definitely some unsavory characters in Loop and River North, there are increasingly tons of very "normal" folks looking to shop, be entertained, eat... Will the unsavory elements disappear? Doubtful, but then most cities' downtowns attract petty criminal (and a few less-petty thugs), people with mental/drug issues, homeless, etc. Unfortunately, it's life in the city and everyone needs a modicum of commonsense and some tolerance for ill-behavior on the part of some people. This ain't Mayberry, but it's not the bowels of Hell either.
OMG. Great, common sense post. I was at the amazing and crowded Old Town Art Fair yesterday and then went downtown. I have to go into the Loop for work on occasion until fully open, and now that everything has opened up, it is just so vibrant and amazing. I cannot understand the alarmist on this forum saying things about any area without first going into the area and then commenting. Chicago is so much better than so many cities I have visited; no encampments for miles, fewer disturbed and homeless, little if any graffiti, and now a vibrancy that is back. There were actually lines to get into Tiffany's and Starbucks on Michigan Avenue yesterday. Crowded beaches, so crowded that they were actually closed to additional parking.

There are a few posters in the Illinois forum that are so negative and look at things not in an honest way by actually looking at data and comparing fact vs. what is in their heads that it is sad. Yes, there is crime, and there are things like car jackings, but you just have to be aware that there are bad people and they will do bad things. But I have never felt unsafe in the Loop and northside, and I grew up in So. Cal. suburbia. The "normal" elements you are talking about are back in droves.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:21 AM

305 posts, read 212,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
OMG. Great, common sense post. I was at the amazing and crowded Old Town Art Fair yesterday and then went downtown. I have to go into the Loop for work on occasion until fully open, and now that everything has opened up, it is just so vibrant and amazing. I cannot understand the alarmist on this forum saying things about any area without first going into the area and then commenting. Chicago is so much better than so many cities I have visited; no encampments for miles, fewer disturbed and homeless, little if any graffiti, and now a vibrancy that is back. There were actually lines to get into Tiffany's and Starbucks on Michigan Avenue yesterday. Crowded beaches, so crowded that they were actually closed to additional parking.

There are a few posters in the Illinois forum that are so negative and look at things not in an honest way by actually looking at data and comparing fact vs. what is in their heads that it is sad. Yes, there is crime, and there are things like car jackings, but you just have to be aware that there are bad people and they will do bad things. But I have never felt unsafe in the Loop and northside, and I grew up in So. Cal. suburbia. The "normal" elements you are talking about are back in droves.
I have to admit that River North, Lake Shore Drive (esp. near Recreation Drive exit), and most northside neighborhoods were absolutely jam-packed with fun-seeking folks yesterday. I've never seen the city so alive and bustling. I was around Kinzie and Clark in River North, and virtually all outdoor tables were filled up in that closed-off pedestrian-only section. The lawlessness of 2020 is very real, and it scared away of a lot of the area's tax base, but world-class cities tend to be resilient.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:53 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
Good afternoon, all.

Last weekend Saturday I made a trip down with several Milwaukeean friends. Included on our bicycle trip was a ride down the lakefront. The closest thing I saw to a crime was a man smoking marijuana in public. Followed by a man that wore a thong-like bathing suit; the latter being MORE of a crime!

And 2 days, Saturday, I came down with someone and took Western Avenue all the way down to 24th and Oakley, for dinner. No signs of anything inappropriate nor illegal.

I came back the following day, yesterday. And granted we rode bicycles from Edison Park to Lincoln Square. Nothing to be concerned with.

Point: The last 2 weeks I went to, and through, several different parts of Chicago, with no concerns.

I really don't know why people worry so much. The entire city is NOT out of order, or anything like that!

Old 06-14-2021, 12:50 PM

249 posts, read 181,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Are you citing some statistics that can be shared?

You're comparing specific parts of Manhattan with an entire borough, which is the first thing that makes me wonder.
I'm willing to bet that River North is safer than at least 70% of the city. Tried searching violent crime stats but had a hard time finding any recent ones.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:36 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
I'm willing to bet that River North is safer than at least 70% of the city. Tried searching violent crime stats but had a hard time finding any recent ones.
I made this thread after watching a segment on the local news where a business owner was interviewed talking about rising crime in River North. The restauranteur was keeping his shortened hours post-COVID-19 due to the nighttime criminal aspect. I saw that as having an impact on the lives of River North RESIDENTS and wanted them to opine.

Instead, the same few people who act as if they are paid by the tourism or relocation bureau to downplay any and all social issues or political problems, have chimed in just to gaslight and pretend that River North doesn't have any crime issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqQTiHHNNos

Woman shot in River North; 1 in custody

Even before COVID:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZw5ny9Xb6s

Old 06-14-2021, 06:50 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
We can find anything you YouTube to stress our agenda and points. All have truth at least most. Still the fact things are opening and people are out and about.... normal is not fully here.... just all the signs of opening up. If a restaurant blames crime for not able to be successful and others are? I am not sure we can just say fear factors did them in.

When you see outdoor dining in Chicago around downtown and elsewhere....with crowds. It is not all or most being fully scared and staying home at all.

We need office-workers back to some normalcy or new normal.... those jobs that support them coming downtown and Conventions back and all the trongs of tourist.... Then we will see.... the light at the end of the tunnel that will not come without its pitfalls and usual political blame games.

Hotels at 50% occupancy without trongs of tourist for this season or Conventions is not bad considering the low. Sad we are not hearing much on Conventions yet? A true normal Festival again? Still next year we can hope all is on Full-Steam ahead and the economy stays in check.... no major fails with it in a crash of sorts or few win.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:05 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I made this thread after watching a segment on the local news where a business owner was interviewed talking about rising crime in River North. The restauranteur was keeping his shortened hours post-COVID-19 due to the nighttime criminal aspect. I saw that as having an impact on the lives of River North RESIDENTS and wanted them to opine.

Instead, the same few people who act as if they are paid by the tourism or relocation bureau to downplay any and all social issues or political problems, have chimed in just to gaslight and pretend that River North doesn't have any crime issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqQTiHHNNos

Woman shot in River North; 1 in custody

Even before COVID:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZw5ny9Xb6s
Agree. I think posters are arguing different points. Nobody is saying that River North is a war zone where people are shaking in their boots to go to. Nobody is saying it's not vibrant and bustling with people.

It's still a vibrant area. But to say that it hasn't gotten worse, in terms of crime over the years, is disingenuous. The numbers mentioned in the video you posted don't lie.

A few years back, you hardly ever heard about any violent crime in River North. Now, it is more common, per the videos numbers. Still, I wouldn't consider it a dangerous neighborhood by any stretch. It's just not as free from the element of violent crime that it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago