U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 04:47 PM

2,664 posts, read 1,844,696 times

Advertisements

As someone who used to navigate River North nightlife most weekends, I am well aware that Franklin & Ontario and the clubs have long been a s***show. However, since the unrest, it seems like there is a never-ending stream of headlines about people getting robbed and even shot on weeknights now in parts of the neighborhood not associated with raucous nightlife. Do you still feel safe living in the neighborhood?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 07:35 PM

8,589 posts, read 7,437,644 times
I know someone who works in the North Michigan area, close to that.. He says the shoppers have changed. used to be luxury and chic customers, now its ghetto looking people who are trying to appear rich, but they got rich from selling stolen merchandise. and now they are strutting around North Michigan Ave trying to act like they are rich Gold Coast shoppers. But anyone with eyes can see wannabees among the crowd.

So Macys is gone, some other high end stores are gone, and that area has lost its Gold Coast status, now its "Pewter Coast" coz of all the changes. I dont think 3-5 years from now, it will look like it did 3 years ago.

I know I've posted about North Michigan Ave, but the neighborhood is just next to it. Walk down the street and get a feel for it yourself, see if that person is right whom i talked to.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:55 AM

2,664 posts, read 1,844,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I know someone who works in the North Michigan area, close to that.. He says the shoppers have changed. used to be luxury and chic customers, now its ghetto looking people who are trying to appear rich, but they got rich from selling stolen merchandise. and now they are strutting around North Michigan Ave trying to act like they are rich Gold Coast shoppers. But anyone with eyes can see wannabees among the crowd.

So Macys is gone, some other high end stores are gone, and that area has lost its Gold Coast status, now its "Pewter Coast" coz of all the changes. I dont think 3-5 years from now, it will look like it did 3 years ago.

I know I've posted about North Michigan Ave, but the neighborhood is just next to it. Walk down the street and get a feel for it yourself, see if that person is right whom i talked to.
Yes, I don't go to the Magnificent Mile to shop anymore. Growing up, my family and other suburban families would still often make the trip. Now, if I do that kind of shopping, it is always at Old Orchard or Northbrook Court. Old Orchard is as crowded and busy as ever.

With regard to River North and the Mag Mile, it is just amazing to me how violent some of the criminal activity has apparently become. My birthday party was canceled because of a shooting outside of a River North club back in 2019. It often sounds like there is gang activity in the heart of the city at this point.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:30 AM

197 posts, read 93,134 times
The degeneration of downtown Chicago is real.

Several lifelong residents have decamped to safer suburbs.

Wasn't yet another rapper killed in River North not too long ago?

It seems like everything rap culture (and the gutter values it preaches) touches, it turns to garbage.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:00 PM

617 posts, read 201,182 times
This is sad to hear. Since Lightfoot came on as mayor, it seems like downtown has slowly started to go downhill. Although a lot of it coincides with all the unrest from last summer (and in fairness I've heard lots of Manhattan and Philly (and probably many other cities) no longer "feel" the same as they used to downtown).

But when Rahm was mayor, even though there were still high crime numbers, downtown (Mag Mile, River North, Gold Coast etc.) were still pristine places that were free from that element. You felt like you were in a luxurious area. It's a shame how the thug culture has crept its way in. I have not visited Chicago in a few years, but it was always a grand experience to be downtown.

I only hope that as "normal" starts to come back, maybe there will be a regentrification of shops and consumerism which will help to drive out the negative crowd. Chicago is one of my favorite cities, and I pray that downtown will regain its former form by the next time I get to visit.

Old 06-12-2021, 03:38 PM

43 posts, read 8,511 times
If you don't feel safe in River North then you're probably scared of 80% of the city and big city living isn't for you

Old 06-12-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Yes, I don't go to the Magnificent Mile to shop anymore. Growing up, my family and other suburban families would still often make the trip. Now, if I do that kind of shopping, it is always at Old Orchard or Northbrook Court. Old Orchard is as crowded and busy as ever.

With regard to River North and the Mag Mile, it is just amazing to me how violent some of the criminal activity has apparently become. My birthday party was canceled because of a shooting outside of a River North club back in 2019. It often sounds like there is gang activity in the heart of the city at this point.
Same with Boystown (East Lakeview),, in the 1990's and even up to 2005 (when i moved out of the city) i could walk home after a night of dancing at 2:00 a.m. and not worry.. Now, that area has changed into people coming to the neighborhood, not patronizing the bars, but hanging out in the sidewalks and streets, hassling people. Different kind of customers than once was in the 1990's (i wasn't in Boystown in the 1980's) The neighborhood has changed. once it was very unique and very safe.. Now, totally different.. Sadz but true

Old 06-12-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coccino View Post
If you don't feel safe in River North then you're probably scared of 80% of the city and big city living isn't for you
No, you are mistaken. A person develops street smarts, a necessity in the city. your eyes, ears, and subtle hints to your gut feeling (you should listen to it) will tell you when something is different and/or unsafe or safe. Especially if a person's neighborhood has changed from when they were younger to now. or even less years than that.. Like i said above, i've seen changes in Boystown, and i got that from experience, not just hype or lies that the woke community want to shove on you and me.

Having street smarts will make you less of or not a victim. Its stupid to not listen to your eyes, ears, and your gut instincs, put there in your DNA to keep you alive.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:17 PM

40 posts, read 8,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
No, you are mistaken. A person develops street smarts, a necessity in the city. your eyes, ears, and subtle hints to your gut feeling (you should listen to it) will tell you when something is different and/or unsafe or safe. Especially if a person's neighborhood has changed from when they were younger to now. or even less years than that.. Like i said above, i've seen changes in Boystown, and i got that from experience, not just hype or lies that the woke community want to shove on you and me.

Having street smarts will make you less of or not a victim. Its stupid to not listen to your eyes, ears, and your gut instincs, put there in your DNA to keep you alive.
I've lived in Lawndale and Englewood. Pretty sure I have street smarts. Gold Coast is a cake walk to me.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:13 PM

617 posts, read 201,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
I've lived in Lawndale and Englewood. Pretty sure I have street smarts. Gold Coast is a cake walk to me.
I don't even think it's necessarily an issue of being scared or not feeling safe. It's more sadness as to what a once beautiful and vibrant area of the city was, which is now apparently patronized with people who don't know how to behave in public.

Again, I don't live in Chicago, so I won't judge how it really is until I see it for myself. I have family in Chicagoland, and prior to the pandemic, I always made a few trips (I live in Michigan). I will probably come later this summer and I really hope downtown Chicago (River North, Loop, Mag Mile, etc) is back to the way I remember it and hasn't been taken over by unruly types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago