U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 04:00 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,137,661 times

Advertisements

Hello Chicagoans,

DH and I are going back and forth between the two cities as our future home - Chicago and Dallas. We love Chicago each time we visit however we also realize that tourism and residence are two different experiences... So far Dallas is winning by a small margin due to safety. However, I'm getting cold feet from the thought of living in a car-centric suburb vs a world class city. Our dilemma is as follows - while Chicago beats Dallas in terms of urban amenities by a mile, what good does it do if you can't enjoy it due to crime?

Can you please put a spin of reality on this. How much does the crime affect the day to day life in Chicago these days, really? Perhaps there are some safe suburbs with an urban walkable core that we can consider? Or should we stick with our current plan to wait it out in a lower COL area (Texas) until things are more "normal" in the great city of Chicago, and THEN make the move?

Please put us out of our flip-flapping misery
Rate this post positively

Old 06-24-2021, 04:09 PM

3,150 posts, read 1,346,292 times
Flavia84, I am NOT a Chicagoan.. And I assure you: you could come to Chicago and be fine.

You know what's unfortunate on our society?????: BAD news sells!... and so Chicago gets constant press for its crime stories.

You don't know me. I have no reason to steer you wrong. I travel pretty much every weekend to Chicago; often with my young children..

Do you think I would, as a good father, purposely put my children in constant danger?!?

Chicago is beautiful.

Old 06-24-2021, 04:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 1,414,904 times
First and foremost, in the news biz. "if it bleeds, it leads", which is why you hear so much of crime in the news.

Remember, most tourists rarely go into the areas where the serious crime occurs. This is true Chicago and of Dallas. There are wonderful, walkable areas of the city and suburbs where crime is low, neighbors great, schools good, etc. The only way to determine if a location is right for you is to have your feet on the ground and explore. Of course you can always ask questions here about any specific city neighborhoods and suburbs!

Old 06-24-2021, 04:37 PM

17,045 posts, read 20,278,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Hello Chicagoans,

DH and I are going back and forth between the two cities as our future home - Chicago and Dallas. We love Chicago each time we visit however we also realize that tourism and residence are two different experiences... So far Dallas is winning by a small margin due to safety. However, I'm getting cold feet from the thought of living in a car-centric suburb vs a world class city. Our dilemma is as follows - while Chicago beats Dallas in terms of urban amenities by a mile, what good does it do if you can't enjoy it due to crime?

Can you please put a spin of reality on this. How much does the crime affect the day to day life in Chicago these days, really? Perhaps there are some safe suburbs with an urban walkable core that we can consider? Or should we stick with our current plan to wait it out in a lower COL area (Texas) until things are more "normal" in the great city of Chicago, and THEN make the move?

Please put us out of our flip-flapping misery

First Dallas is NOT that safe

A man has been arrested in connection with the death of a 54-year-old man who was found shot in a car in South Dallas last week.

Joseph Lynn Sneed Jr., 27, was taken into custody during a traffic stop and booked into the Dallas County jail Thursday, police said. He faces a murder charge in the slaying of Kevin Winston.

There are more guns used in Dallas because of Texas not having much in the way of gun laws. There seems to be a lot of road rage in Dallas and Houston and less in Chicago.

Second, there are many safe suburbs in the Chicago area (I lived in Evanston for over 30 years and had almost no experience of crime there).

There are safe city neighborhoods as well. Chicago is use and crime tends to be confined to areas where gangs live.

I live in a suburb of Houston where a young girl was attacked walking her dog after dark. Police are still looking for the suspect. Hopefully he will be arrested soon.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:30 PM

365 posts, read 308,971 times
I live in Chicago (moved here from San Francisco in early 2019).

You will always hear distressing news about crime everywhere you go. That has not been my reality since I moved here. I do not own a car so I take the L and the bus everywhere - just be aware of your surroundings and everything will be ok.

Chicago is incredible! The city is so neatly organized - from it's gorgeous park system, to it's lake front, to the Jeffersonian street grid, and the L lines that radiate out from the ddowntown ,etc etc. I feel so thankful to live in this city.

Old 06-25-2021, 06:13 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,541,185 times
Where in Chicago are you planning to live, roughly, if you decide to live in Chicago? Chances are, my guess is you will choose a low-crime area, but let us know the areas you're targeting/where you plan to spend most of your time and we can let you know if there's much concern about crime.

I used to work in the Loop and never felt a concern during the day. I'd leave the Loop from grad school at 8:30 at night and never felt unsafe.

I lived in Lakeview and stayed aware of my surroundings (because that's just a smart thing to do while living in the city), but never felt unsafe.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:27 AM

"Don't knock it 'til you try it/ You don't know 'til you try it"

Like fusillirob1983 indicates, Chicago is huge and there are SO many different neighborhoods.

Fusillirob1983 also mentions "street" smarts. Well, that's good advice for anywhere you go, so just always be aware of your surroundings and follow your gut.

Personally, I find most neighborhoods north of Montrose Avenue (4400 N. on the city street grid), and in particular the more north and northwest areas to feel the nicest!

Old 06-25-2021, 10:19 AM

30,637 posts, read 29,648,579 times
I think you're generally good if no one among you or your immediate family and close friends plan on selling or buying narcotics or firearms illegally. I think that applies to Dallas as well.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:36 AM

276 posts, read 127,706 times
Chicago is perfectly safe if you stay in the beautiful northside neighborhoods. I’ve never felt in danger there.

Now, I had no choice but to drive through Austin yesterday and I immediately felt fear, sadness, and depression. I was literally blue the rest of the day. Anyway, a good sign is by observing the decreased care in homes and businesses. One instantly senses it. It’s the gift of intuition. Race is a sad, sad reality when it comes to urban survival, so I tend to feel safe in white areas most. Not a fun thing to talk about, but it’s important to be honest when a huge cross-country move is in question. Others may really enjoy hanging out in black neighborhoods, but I tend to feel uneasy, even in parts of Uptown. In 2010 I was accosted and had my wallet taken by a black youth, so those experiences tend to stay with you.

At this point in my life I’ve stopped being politically correct and have decided that constantly going to the “why” of something bad isn’t doing us any favors. The fact is is that this level of property and violent crime *does exist* here and you need to be keenly aware of it.

Master Jay is a good resource for you, op. He will steer you right! He is the board’s optimist where I tend to be a bit more of a realist curmudgeon

Good luck

Old 06-25-2021, 10:58 AM

Boddicker, thank you for the nice words!

We are all products of our experiences; and yes, we should all be able to share our true feelings, including on a forum, in my opinion.

And in trying to be the optimist as you pointed out our experiences can also help us overcome past negative ones!

I'm sorry going through Austin made you feel down. My positive on THAT: I'm glad you have a heart and empathy and sympathy!... Maybe next time, drive through Galewood and say, "well this is technically Austin, and it looks and feels a lot better!"..... Maybe that will help break you out of a down mood.

I've worked in social work for half my life. If I lost the ability to be optimistic, I would have been forced to do something else, or consumed with negativity.... I refuse the latter.

Thanks again for the shout out. And a great Friday to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago