Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,224 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live on the opposite edge of the country but am relocating for a job and looking to rent in or around Lincoln Park, willing to consider nearby neighborhoods too. Never had the chance to visit Chicago and no chance to visit prior to moving in, so am a bit nervous about renting an apartment I can't see in person.

Which parts of Lincoln Park is the most quiet, or do you recommend another neighborhood? Are there any specific apartment complexes you can recommend? My budget is $1300-1500. I'm also bringing cats and need a smoke-free residence. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 07:19 PM

41 posts, read 43,952 times
Chicago is noisy, but you can find a quiet pocket.

Based on what I've seen, the units in Lincoln Park in your budget might be louder. An area you may want to look into is Lincoln Square. Also, Buena Park might suit you. It really depends on what kinds of noises you can't tolerate. A key thing is whatever you do, don't rent across from any kind of bar or pub or you'll be dealing with music, drunken people at night and vehicles coming and going. Again, you have to think about what kind of noises bother you as well. For instance, living near the elevated train might seem like a nightmare to some, but that kind of noise is easier to adapt to than noisy people coming out of a bar. Living in a high rise can also be noisy because you hear the traffic below as well as compressors and machinery from the tops of other buildings.

If you have noise issues, you should not rent sight unseen. It would be better to just get an AirBB for a few weeks and then go and actually tour (and listen to) the properties. Please don't rent without visiting if you have the option.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maylily11x View Post
Hello,

I currently live on the opposite edge of the country but am relocating for a job and looking to rent in or around Lincoln Park, willing to consider nearby neighborhoods too. Never had the chance to visit Chicago and no chance to visit prior to moving in, so am a bit nervous about renting an apartment I can't see in person.

Which parts of Lincoln Park is the most quiet, or do you recommend another neighborhood? Are there any specific apartment complexes you can recommend? My budget is $1300-1500. I'm also bringing cats and need a smoke-free residence. Any advice would be appreciated.
The northeast portion of Lincoln Park that borders the park is very residential and quiet. South of Diversey in the "Park West" area is very residential. Also the Wrightwood area is very residential too, although there are many million dollar homes in that section (and fewer apartments- though there may be some), so it would be out of your budget unless there are rentals.

Old 07-09-2021, 05:52 AM

305 posts, read 212,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willpetdogs View Post
Chicago is noisy, but you can find a quiet pocket.

Based on what I've seen, the units in Lincoln Park in your budget might be louder. An area you may want to look into is Lincoln Square. Also, Buena Park might suit you. It really depends on what kinds of noises you can't tolerate. A key thing is whatever you do, don't rent across from any kind of bar or pub or you'll be dealing with music, drunken people at night and vehicles coming and going. Again, you have to think about what kind of noises bother you as well. For instance, living near the elevated train might seem like a nightmare to some, but that kind of noise is easier to adapt to than noisy people coming out of a bar. Living in a high rise can also be noisy because you hear the traffic below as well as compressors and machinery from the tops of other buildings.

If you have noise issues, you should not rent sight unseen. It would be better to just get an AirBB for a few weeks and then go and actually tour (and listen to) the properties. Please don't rent without visiting if you have the option.
Last October one of the saddest stories I’ve ever read emerged from Buena Park. An Ecuadorian refugee, who worked at one of my favorite restaurants in Lincoln Park, was gunned down around 2pm on Belle Plain. He worked two jobs and was simply coming home to rest before starting his second job at the Athenian Room.

I know Buena Park is classified as Uptown, but for years I always thought it might be OK.

Not anymore. Not after I read about the supremely wicked killing of an innocent hardworking immigrant.

If the OP can afford it, I’d stick to Lincoln Park, maybe a quiet spot around Belden or Webster, like Geneva or Arlington. You can rent some decent studios there for around a grand or up. I can’t recall many savage gang bangers making inroads around there, so it’s a pretty lovely area altogether.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:37 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,542 times
If noise is a issue, be sure to stay away from the L tracks!

Old 07-09-2021, 10:13 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
Last October one of the saddest stories I’ve ever read emerged from Buena Park. An Ecuadorian refugee, who worked at one of my favorite restaurants in Lincoln Park, was gunned down around 2pm on Belle Plain[e]. He worked two jobs and was simply coming home to rest before starting his second job at the Athenian Room.

I know Buena Park is classified as Uptown, but for years I always thought it might be OK.

Not anymore. Not after I read about the supremely wicked killing of an innocent hardworking immigrant.

If the OP can afford it, I’d stick to Lincoln Park, maybe a quiet spot around Belden or Webster, like Geneva or Arlington. You can rent some decent studios there for around a grand or up. I can’t recall many savage gang bangers making inroads around there, so it’s a pretty lovely area altogether.
Likely an isolated incident. I used to live at Park Place Tower (655 W. Irving Park) and I heard of a few isolated shootings over the years that occurred within a block or two. One was on Bittersweet one block north, which is Buena Park. I also remember another incident at Irving and Broadway. These were pre-2015 (I left town that year).

Old 07-09-2021, 10:43 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Maybe try some of the outlying neighborhoods such as Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, North Center, etc.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:03 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
As soon as I saw " a quiet place" I was mortified by thinking about that horrible inane movie!!!

I just got into town. I am parked by Wrightwood Park, near Wrightwood and Ashland. I believe this is technically the DePaul section of Lincoln Park.... Very nice area. Many condos and rehabilitations to homes have been going on here the last several years since I first came across it.

Very safe, clean, and single or children friendly. Near enough main streets or buslines..

One sad note: The home they used as the basis for the home on Family Matters is no longer here!!!! If you watch the tv show in the beginning, you can see the aerial shot of it....

Also, very close to the 606, which is where I'm heading.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:07 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
As soon as I saw " a quiet place" I was mortified by thinking about that horrible inane movie!!!

I just got into town. I am parked by Wrightwood Park, near Wrightwood and Ashland. I believe this is technically the DePaul section of Lincoln Park.... Very nice area. Many condos and rehabilitations to homes have been going on here the last several years since I first came across it.

Very safe, clean, and single or children friendly. Near enough main streets or buslines..

One sad note: The home they used as the basis for the home on Family Matters is no longer here!!!! If you watch the tv show in the beginning, you can see the aerial shot of it....

Also, very close to the 606, which is where I'm heading.
Yes, that’s a pretty quiet area of Lincoln Park. Don’t rent on Lincoln, Diversey, Southport, Ashland or Fullerton, but most other blocks within that perimeter should be fairly quiet.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:51 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
fusillirob1983, 2 things:

1. I must say that I am always amazed that Wrightwood Avenue along the park DOES seem to get a huge amount of traffic!.... That always stuck out, to me.

2. I needed you to back me up that the movie, A Quiet Place, was horrible garbage!

What I also like about the Wrightwood Park area is that it is very close to one of the only Barnes and Noble bookstores, in the city. It is on Clybourn and Webster. There is a Pequods Pizza there across the street, which I've never had, but it gets many good reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago