Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times

Advertisements

In this forum we constantly get bombarded with questions about whether one particular area of the city is "safe". It seems that people from small towns, foreign countries, or New York City have a perception that Chicago is a town full of crime and violence. Part of this is clearly media sensationalism. While large parts of the city have tremendous problems with this, I still feel that much of Chicago is safe and that the crime and violence are blown out of proportion. Do you agree? Outside of what you hear in the media, is YOUR Chicago, i.e. the place you inhabit on a daily basis, a safe place to live and work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I would say the places we lived more often than not were safe. The 2nd and 3rd were not but 3 others were.

All in all though crime (or the fear of it) was at the top of the list for reasons to move here.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Yep. I feel as safe in my neighborhood as I do just about anywhere.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
While large parts of the city have tremendous problems with this, I still feel that much of Chicago is safe and that the crime and violence are blown out of proportion. Do you agree?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Outside of what you hear in the media, is YOUR Chicago, i.e. the place you inhabit on a daily basis, a safe place to live and work?
Again, yes.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,405 times
Default Yes - Safe!

I feel really safe in my neighborhood. I live in East Lakeview and I feel comfortable walking home at Midnight or 2AM (or 4AM sometimes, lol) as I do when I walk home from work. It's part of the reason why I love where I live and I put up with extraordinarily high rent payments and will probably buy a condo here.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Taken as a whole, crime in Chicago is certainly not blown out of proportion, though it might be easy to think so for those of us in our cozy little north side roosts. But it's a serious issue that has to be dealt with because it affects all of us to some degree or another. It erodes confidence in the ability of the city to maintain order and provide decent services. It invites corruption and graft. It drains resources that could be put to better use. It's part of a multivariate problem that ensnares a whole lot of people in a cycle of poverty and even more violence, many of whom are state charges in some capacity or another. The crime rate in American cities is the laughing stock of the industrialized world, and Chicago is right up there among the laughable. Only it's not funny.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:29 AM

52 posts, read 202,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
I feel really safe in my neighborhood. I live in East Lakeview and I feel comfortable walking home at Midnight or 2AM (or 4AM sometimes, lol) as I do when I walk home from work. It's part of the reason why I love where I live and I put up with extraordinarily high rent payments and will probably buy a condo here.
Where exactly do you live in East Lakeview?

Old 05-14-2008, 02:40 PM

9 posts, read 37,840 times
i'm thinking about moving to Wicker Park, how would you guys describe the crime in that area as opposed to Lincoln Park/Lakeview? Is it better to live in the Eastern part of WP or the Western part WP?

Old 05-14-2008, 02:45 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
The way I see it is #1: There is a historic image of Chicago going all the back to Al Capone. However way you want to look at it. Chicago hasn't been among the top big cities with violent crime for years. But images don't die away too easily. (How many people around the world think Dallasites wear cowboy hats and work in oil?)

Kansas City, MO has a higher violent crime I believe. People wouldn't expect that.

I would basically say Chicagos path of gentrification is much younger and less developed than say San Francisco or Boston. You simply have big blighted and decayed areas within the city limits in a way you don't in cities are technically smaller.

Which goes to what I've said in previous posts. Chicago is cohesive due its just ONE big city with no natural boundaries.

However: Downtown, north, and near north sides are as different from the west and south sides as Manhattan is from Brooklyn or Bronx. Or San Francisco is from Oakland. Or even Windsor, ON is from Detroit.

It may be one city technically: but Chicago can easily be four or five separate cities, and you wouldn't even notice, because they are already that different.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:47 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Taken as a whole, crime in Chicago is certainly not blown out of proportion, though it might be easy to think so for those of us in our cozy little north side roosts. But it's a serious issue that has to be dealt with because it affects all of us to some degree or another. It erodes confidence in the ability of the city to maintain order and provide decent services. It invites corruption and graft. It drains resources that could be put to better use. It's part of a multivariate problem that ensnares a whole lot of people in a cycle of poverty and even more violence, many of whom are state charges in some capacity or another. The crime rate in American cities is the laughing stock of the industrialized world, and Chicago is right up there among the laughable. Only it's not funny.
I think LK's point has to do with breadth, not depth. Crime, where it occurs, is certainly serious and a major problem. However, from a distance, people might get the impression that every part of Chicago is a shooting gallery. That's clearly not the case. And LK makes a valid point. We all live in Chicago. How does crime touch each of us? How much do we see or feel on any given day? I'm fortunate enough to be able to say (knock on wood), "not much". Many Chicagoans can likely say the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago