Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 07:31 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
When was it not safe?
The same was true of River North until a certain demographic showed up and police were given no support by our Mayor or citizens. I'm glad China town culture promotes a safe thriving community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 09:53 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
The Chicago Outfit had a major presence in Chinatown, probably up until 10 or so years ago. In that time, there WERE violent acts that took place ( a handful I read of, yet over decades of time!). BUT, for the common, everyday resident and/or visitor, my understanding is it was always very safe!

I remember coming down periodically as a youth and teen to Chinatown. I never had a feeling of it being unsafe. And certainly I have been a rather frequent visitor to Chinatown in the last several years. I never really saw or heard of any problems; the biggest "issue" being the increase in the homeless population settling under the bridge, just west of the Chinatown Walgreens.

In terms of prejudice/racism, I'm "guessing" it's not an issue being a majority non-White neighborhood, given the amount of White people I see exploring. I certainly have not seen this in other majority-ethnic neighborhoods. Perhaps, the eastern end of Pilsen. But I do not recall ever seeing a large presence of Whites on 26th Street in La Villita.

Well, I am glad for Chinatown, then, I hope they continue to thrive. They must be doing SOMETHING right!

Old 09-02-2021, 01:58 PM

Don Cuccino, if I had NOT been raised in the 1980s, I would have totally OFFENDED by your statement!!!

ahhhhhh, oh I love having thick skin.

Old 09-02-2021, 03:47 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Being out at 1am is really what the problem is. You should know that you are taking a risk at that time of night, period.

How many times do you read about a kid getting shot and it says.....10 year old Johnny Doe was shot on the sidewalk at 2:17am in the 3000 block of X street. WHY WAS THE KID OUT AT 2am?!!

Old 09-02-2021, 09:10 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Being out at 1am is really what the problem is. You should know that you are taking a risk at that time of night, period.

How many times do you read about a kid getting shot and it says.....10 year old Johnny Doe was shot on the sidewalk at 2:17am in the 3000 block of X street. WHY WAS THE KID OUT AT 2am?!!
My grandmother always says that nothing good happens after midnight. I believe it but at the same time, not everyone works the same schedule. I used to work 4pm to midnight and would often go out and run some errands right after work.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:43 AM

There is a part probably still in our DNA from our "Cave People" days (if you are an evolution versus Creation believer) that says we are designed to NOT wander when it is dark, due to the fear of being unable to see if you are about to fall off a cliff or be eaten by an animal, etc. And so genetically, for our safety and "survival of the fittest" we should NOT be wandering around the darker and later it gets. And Lo and behold, people can be more victimized the later and darker it gets in modern times, as well, albeit for different reasons.

I think this every time I get up for work at 4:30 a.m. Except, not that I am fearful of the dark. Rather, humans should NOT be waking up this early!!!!!!

And on the 8th day, God said, "Let there be coffee!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: