Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 08:41 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times

Advertisements

"City Council Approves Ordinance To Crack Down On Single-Use Utensils At Chicago Restaurants"

I just saw this headline and honestly, this is why so many people get fed up and leave. With all of the problems that the city faces, this is how city council chooses to spend their time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 09:54 AM

934 posts, read 1,442,510 times
I think I saw something about this flashing over Fox News headlines while I was at the gym...right after their Crime in America: Chicago special. Basically headlines like this are a pundit's dream. A further look into it,

"Chicago restaurants would be prohibited from automatically distributing “single-use foodware,” but compliance would be voluntary, and drive-through restaurants and airport concessionaires would be exempt under a watered-down ordinance advanced Monday." City Council committee approves watered-down ban on single-use utensils

So basically it's most likely a toothless ordinance pandering to a particular coalition meant to score political points. Something not exclusive to Chicago or Illinois.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:16 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I think I saw something about this flashing over Fox News headlines while I was at the gym...right after their Crime in America: Chicago special. Basically headlines like this are a pundit's dream. A further look into it,

"Chicago restaurants would be prohibited from automatically distributing “single-use foodware,” but compliance would be voluntary, and drive-through restaurants and airport concessionaires would be exempt under a watered-down ordinance advanced Monday." City Council committee approves watered-down ban on single-use utensils

So basically it's most likely a toothless ordinance pandering to a particular coalition meant to score political points. Something not exclusive to Chicago or Illinois.
The OP is from Dallas. I will take Chicago 8 days out of the week over Dallas and Texas' crazy laws and Ted Cruz and Governor Abbott. He is laughing over Chicago's laws?

Old 09-15-2021, 12:24 PM

65 posts, read 47,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The OP is from Dallas. I will take Chicago 8 days out of the week over Dallas and Texas' crazy laws and Ted Cruz and Governor Abbott. He is laughing over Chicago's laws?
I’m planning a move to Chicago and it amazes me how many posters on here do not live in or visit Chicago. The ones who lived there years ago just knock it. I thought they fled Chicago to greener pastures but instead they spend their time bashing it. Lives in their heads rent free.

Dallas is a city I know a few ppl lived there for a year and couldn’t wait to leave. They’re getting all the political refugees from California moving in. I crossed that one off my list quickly. Anyways, I thought it is a relocation forum but it seems to be more of ppl trashing the city.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:48 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL78 View Post
I’m planning a move to Chicago and it amazes me how many posters on here do not live in or visit Chicago. The ones who lived there years ago just knock it. I thought they fled Chicago to greener pastures but instead they spend their time bashing it. Lives in their heads rent free.

Dallas is a city I know a few ppl lived there for a year and couldn’t wait to leave. They’re getting all the political refugees from California moving in. I crossed that one off my list quickly. Anyways, I thought it is a relocation forum but it seems to be more of ppl trashing the city.
I often think it is buyer's remorse. They move to places like Arizona and Texas because they are so cheap they only see the tax savings, but then come to realize its too hot, a cultural wasteland, has horrible schools, is politically crazy, has terrible roads, bad mass transit, has vanilla sprawl and has attracted the less educated cheapskates like themselves.

Chicago is a great city. There are things that, if, you get used to them like I have, you would have to miss. And if you are mean spirited,realize your mistake deep down and are a hater, you go on CD and spew all over everybody.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:56 PM

672 posts, read 758,295 times
Quote:

I have a theory about all this.

Big cities with distinctive culture and vibe attract people drawn to urbanity and that sense of place. For most of those people, Chicago, my own home of NYC, and similar cities scratch that itch and everything is fine. They often have to move on for work or family, whereupon the separation is amicable and the city moves into their past.

But for some, there’s an immediate clash between themselves and the progressivism inherent to a densely populated place, with a strong sense of community and lard lessons learnt long ago about inequity. They hate it. It doesn’t work out for them. Paying taxes to help those people? Cough splutter outrage.

So they move away. But that sense of place and urbanity sticks with them, in their bones. They can’t just give it up and move on with their new lives in Stripmallia, TX. They hate that they can’t quit their thwarted love.

So they become cheerleaders for the city’s downfall. They bang on and on and on about it. It must fail, this place that hurt them so much.

The problem is, in most cases, the city just laughs back in their face. NYC, SF, LA, these are the engines of America, places of true greatness where all the best and brightest live. These places unequivocally and stubbornly leave Stripmallia in the dust, despite their taxes and high minimum wages. Oh the flapping howling rage!

But Chicago. Chicago is a truly great city too, but it’s had a few weaknesses over the past while. So all the angry thwarted conservatives pile on, aided by others who have never seen the place other than on a Hannity segment. A crack in the fortress of progressive big city success. So it’s hammered every day in right wing media. Look! See! (Ignore NYC.) Chicago is what happens with big city liberalism! Crime! (Ignore rates in my dog-eat-dog red state.) Aaarrrrrrrgh!

This crowd tried the same thing with NY last year when things were looking grim with covid, while it was still considered a ‘blue city problem.’ I recall conservative thought leaders gleefully calling for us to be cut off from America, geographically and economically, and left to literally die for our sins. (Such a wonderful philosophy.)

But of course they were wrong and NY survived and went back to laughing at them, so they went back to once again dog pile on Chicago.

They were smacking their chops before the 2020 census results came out, ready to pounce on declining population numbers. But that didn’t happen, sadly, so now it’s back to the usual drone.

Does Chicago have problems? Yes in spades. It needs to get its act together and stop being the sick horse in our proud stable of great cities. But for all that, it’s still a great urban place, and it will continue to stick in the craw of frustrated right wingers.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:23 PM

249 posts, read 182,731 times
Quote:

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/09...o-restaurants/

Quote:
The ordinance would prohibit restaurants from automatically providing most single-use foodware – such as plastic utensils, napkins, or condiment packets – with delivery or take-out orders, unless they’re specifically requested by customers.
I suspect that the place they moved to is boring as hell so they have a lot of free time on their hands. I know ex Chicagoans who have moved to NYC, London, and San Francisco. Not once have I heard them trash Chicago. It's the ones that move to cultural wastelands like Phoenix or Texas where their idea of culture is watching an NFL or college football game.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post

I'm not "from" here. I moved here a few months ago from Chicago where I lived for many years.

Abbott and Ted Cruz might be idiots, but they are far better than people like Kim Foxx and Lori Lightfoot who will more than likely be re-elected.

I miss some things about Chicago (mostly the architecture, public transit, and walkability) but what I don't miss is local politicians wasting time on stuff like banning plastic straws when there are dozens of shootings every weekend. And the constant cash grabs like lowering the threshold for speed cameras to fix the budget are even worse.

Last edited by lepoisson; 09-15-2021 at 01:35 PM..

Old 09-15-2021, 01:29 PM

249 posts, read 182,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm not "from" here. I moved here a few months ago from Chicago where I lived for many years.

Abbott and Ted Cruz might be idiots, but they are far better than people like Kim Foxx and Lori Lightfoot.
Foxx isn't the Governor or Senator and according to your hero, Cruz is a liar whose dad is a terrorist.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
Foxx isn't the Governor or Senator and according to your hero, Cruz is a liar whose dad is a terrorist.

They are all elected officials who are responsible for drafting laws, running a city, or maintaining order.

My neighbor in Bridgeport was carjacked and robbed by a man who had multiple priors and was out on probation for another carjacking just a few months before. That's 100% the fault of Kim Foxx and elected judges. It affected him far more than a governor or senator could. Here in Texas, the guy would have been behind bars for at least 10yr for armed carjacking and robbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago