Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 2,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I am confused at this point regarding commute. Yes, some of the places from far out can get you to the loop in 30-40 minutes, but you need to factor in getting from your house to the train and the train to your office. I listed places based on a door to door commute. For reference, I'm in Naperville. When I worked downtown my time on the train was 34-40 minutes, but door to door it was 70 minutes. So maybe you can expand a bit if you live a block from the train and work a block from the train, but you likely won't find more diversity as you expand further into the suburbs.

Oak Park and Evanston are more diverse suburbs. I think property taxes are relatively high in both. River Forest the same for property taxes (I haven't seen they're more than Oak Park - they're both high!), but I think less diverse than Oak Park. A friend of mine from the area has said you may be better off staying west of Ridgeland if in Oak Park. This is a second hand account, FWIW.
Point taken regarding commute. I'm trying to expand our criteria by relaxing my commute requirements a bit but the overhead of getting to and from the metra station does seem to account for a significant portion of the time. Seems like it's realistically an hour from any major suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 08:27 AM

504 posts, read 495,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownMovin View Post
Point taken regarding commute. I'm trying to expand our criteria by relaxing my commute requirements a bit but the overhead of getting to and from the metra station does seem to account for a significant portion of the time. Seems like it's realistically an hour from any major suburb.
Only suburban shot you have at a 30 minute commute would be Oak Park (near green/blue/metra), River Forest (very small area near the green/metra), Forest Park (near blue), Berwyn (small area near blue, and metra area). The Green/Blue are much nicer to be near than the metra which is on a less frequent schedule.

Taxes are high everywhere in Chicago and the inner-burbs, but you can get pretty cheap housing in Forest Park/Berwyn at the sacrifice of schooling. OP/RF are great options for everything you've described.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:40 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
Only suburban shot you have at a 30 minute commute would be Oak Park (near green/blue/metra), River Forest (very small area near the green/metra), Forest Park (near blue), Berwyn (small area near blue, and metra area). The Green/Blue are much nicer to be near than the metra which is on a less frequent schedule.

Taxes are high everywhere in Chicago and the inner-burbs, but you can get pretty cheap housing in Forest Park/Berwyn at the sacrifice of schooling. OP/RF are great options for everything you've described.
The train is also very fast from LaGrange/LaGrange Park (I think approx 21 minutes spent on the train for express), but it may not be as diverse as he prefers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago