Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,915,933 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I have already read nearly all of the previous Rogers Park threads so if I missed something I apologize in advance. I am about to sign a lease on a studio apartment at the corner of Lunt & Sheridan. I will be maily using public transportation via the red line. I have already read that the Morse station can be somewhat sketchy (particularly at night). Being a decent sized guy (6'2, 220 lbs), is there really anything for me to worry about walking to and from the el late at night? (I know there is always the chance of something happening, but im asking in more general terms.)

I am picking this location because of price, location to the el, and location to the beach in that order. I understand that with what I am gaining in price I may be losing in safety.

A couple more questions:

Will walking my dog at night along Sheridan or by the beach be a big deal? The area along Sheridan seems to have enough traffic that I shouldnt worry, but I am new to Chicago and am somewhat ignorant.

Are there any large grocery stores either within walking distance or something close via public transit? I have done a search but couldnt really find anything close by.

Thanks for the help guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:43 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,704,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Will walking my dog at night along Sheridan or by the beach be a big deal? The area along Sheridan seems to have enough traffic that I shouldnt worry, but I am new to Chicago and am somewhat ignorant.
Could be, but lot's of people do it. It's certainly not asking for a death sentence or anything, but just be careful. I'd stick to well-lit, busy routes and avoid the beach at night, since it will be deserted. East Rogers Park does have people walking around at all hours, but you'll want to minimize your risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Are there any large grocery stores either within walking distance or something close via public transit? I have done a search but couldnt really find anything close by.
There's a large Jewel at the Berwyn Red Line stop (south in Edgewater). That will probably be right along your commute.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,214,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There's a large Jewel at the Berwyn Red Line stop (south in Edgewater). That will probably be right along your commute.
There's actually a Dominick's by the Thorndale stop (if you want to get real picky it's pretty much halfway between Granville and Thorndale), but surely there's something closer than that. I don't know. I only wind up in Rogers Park when the Red Line takes me "express" to Loyola for no reason.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,516,196 times
There is really nothing close by to that address. You either have to hit the Jewel and Dominicks on Broadway or the Dominicks on Sheridan near Foster. The only other easy choice by CTA is to take the Purple Line to Evanston and go to Whole Foods. There is a Jewel in Evanston on Chicago Ave also.

Rogers Park is poorly served by grocery stores. There used to be a Jewel on Ridge, but is is closed now.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:47 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,915,933 times
Thanks for the info, I will be working in Evanston so I will just schedule my grocery trips accordingly.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,924,524 times
6'2" 220lb guys are pretty much left alone. The substantial majority of troublemakers in RP are wannabes who wouldn't know what to do if they encountered any actual resistance.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:16 PM

387 posts, read 1,328,640 times
Dominicks is also on Clark and Howard and there are quite a few Jewel and Dominicks in Evanston.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:42 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,516,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateDaum View Post
Dominicks is also on Clark and Howard and there are quite a few Jewel and Dominicks in Evanston.
Oh yeah forgot about that one!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:23 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,186,927 times
There is a very well stocked supermarket on Morse about 1/2 block west of the El station on north side of the street. I can't ever remember the name (it is not a chain, something local). On the outside, it doesn't look like much. However, it has tons of everything and even great produce and organic food and lots of imported stuff from south of the border. I have friends who are picky that do all of their shopping at this store. Not overpriced either. It will be really close to your new place.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,704,065 times
There's great produce at "Edgewater Produce" on Devon Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: