U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 09:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,206,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
If Chicago declines as you say it will, so will the entire Midwest. Chicago is the economic engine of the Midwest. Biggest game in town. We fail so does the entire Midwest and if that happens bye bye USA as we know it. Murica.
Yeah, well, how many relevant cities does the Midwest have? It's not just the biggest game in town, it's the only game in town.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-07-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
If the chicken littles are all correct and Chicago does collapses or become some version of Detroit, then the entire Midwest will collapse. If and when that happens the US will cease to be a super power. Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
The Detroit MSA grew at a faster clip than the Chicago MSA did last decade. In fact, every other MSA is the top 20 did. This is not going to change.

The true standout in the Midwest is actually Minneapolis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrop...atistical_area

Old 01-07-2022, 08:32 PM

664 posts, read 229,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The Detroit MSA grew at a faster clip than the Chicago MSA did last decade. In fact, every other MSA is the top 20 did. This is not going to change.

You used Metro cause you know there is no comparison with city to city. Gentrification is still limited. Abandoned areas still that way.

It is actually the Ohio cities getting more attention as cheaper and not huge donut hole.

It all needs Corporate America to spark the interest again in these city/metros much more and they can take off being cheaper to start. Ohio the best state to give the incentives it seems to take. Of course its declines too. If you see Minneapolis superior, it is a good but colder option. Certainly has its charm and you should consider it maybe?

Illinois still will probably have losses into this decade before it to may gain as the Midwest will rise again. Chicago though seems to get even experts give it a pass on ruin and doom and Chicago still manages to stay very relevant. Always a diversified economy that lacking one killed Detroit much more. Chicago still has core other cities want and cannot or hoping it yet comes.

I was just reading how even Atlanta residents admit to its boring core and huge parking garages no help. They will hype their Midtown next door. Worst is how pricey Atlanta has got. Higher rents then downtown Chicago.

Even the Compare cities link now acknowledges this and says this.

Atlanta is 0.6% more expensive than Chicago.
Atlanta housing costs are 13.0% more expensive than Chicago housing costs.
Health related expenses are 1.3% more in Atlanta.

So this is not what these booming cities were suppose to promise and may face slower growth to other Sunbelt smaller markets to come.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ta_GA/overview Atlanta 400k

Even Realtor.com.
Atlanta, GA
$399K
Median Listing Home Price
$249
Median Listing Home Price/Sq Ft
$380K
Median Sold Home Price

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...go_IL/overview
Chicago, IL
$329.9K
$242
$325K
Median Sold Home Price

Atlanta has much smaller city limits and still well over 4000 homes listed. So no huge shortage either.

Title: What's the future of Chicago real estate for 2022?

https://chicagoagentmagazine.com/202...tate-for-2022/

I was watching a YouTuber with a ton of viewers on live stream the other day. The day Tech stocks especially plummeted. Big Tech slide and was checking out each cities Zillow checking move to or out change over the last few years.

I had to wait till near the end for the Midwest and Chicago cities he hit up.

His consensus is a Tech crash of sorts hitting Seattle, SF, SJ, LA, Boston, Phoenix and Austin. That it will spiral their housing bubbles. Ohio cities all showed growth so positive on them. Detroit still all negatives. His higher hopes were reserved for the Ohio cities. Still metro Detroit is a helova better then the city. It also has in renewal a lot of infrastructure needs too. Chicago much better there including hoods if a eventual larger growing overall again.

Then he hit on Chicago. Near then end. All red stats moving out hits on zillow. Yet his simple response.

"I do not expect a Chicago crash". Simple and sweet. To him its 9++++ lives continue despite it all.

Still, there is a whole Nation out there to seek and Indiana next door. Few see a booming 2022. Interest rates if they do go up in spring especially. Most see plenty of adjustments and bubbles could burst. No one calls Chicago though at 12% housing median increase last year a bubble to burst. That can be a good thing as stardom growing pains especially volatile to bust cycles where buying high will hurt.

I am not predicting. Still there is more OK with positives over negatives out there on Chicago. Not saying crime is one. Much better to have bought sooner in a Chicago exit out, to a booming big city metro like a couple years ago. Still many will find success in leaving Chicagoland too.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:56 PM

8,962 posts, read 9,289,823 times
Quote:

I’d actually disagree with Minneapolis - I might have agreed 2 years ago but now I would say Columbus is going to rise above the rest in terms of growth/brightest future, followed by Indianapolis.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:02 PM

8,962 posts, read 9,289,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
You used Metro cause you know there is no comparison with city to city. Gentrification is still limited. Abandoned areas still that way.

It is actually the Ohio cities getting more attention as cheaper and not huge donut hole.

It all needs Corporate America to spark the interest again in these city/metros much more and they can take off being cheaper to start. Ohio the best state to give the incentives it seems to take. Of course its declines too. If you see Minneapolis superior, it is a good but colder option. Certainly has its charm and you should consider it maybe?

Illinois still will probably have losses into this decade before it to may gain as the Midwest will rise again. Chicago though seems to get even experts give it a pass on ruin and doom and Chicago still manages to stay very relevant. Always a diversified economy that lacking one killed Detroit much more. Chicago still has core other cities want and cannot or hoping it yet comes.

I was just reading how even Atlanta residents admit to its boring core and huge parking garages no help. They will hype their Midtown next door. Worst is how pricey Atlanta has got. Higher rents then downtown Chicago.

Even the Compare cities link now acknowledges this and says this.

Atlanta is 0.6% more expensive than Chicago.
Atlanta housing costs are 13.0% more expensive than Chicago housing costs.
Health related expenses are 1.3% more in Atlanta.

So this is not what these booming cities were suppose to promise and may face slower growth to other Sunbelt smaller markets to come.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ta_GA/overview Atlanta 400k

Even Realtor.com.
Atlanta, GA
$399K
$249
$380K
Median Sold Home Price

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...go_IL/overview
Chicago, IL
$329.9K
$242
$325K
Median Sold Home Price

Atlanta has much smaller city limits and still well over 4000 homes listed. So no huge shortage either.

Title: What's the future of Chicago real estate for 2022?

https://chicagoagentmagazine.com/202...tate-for-2022/

I was watching a YouTuber with a ton of viewers on live stream the other day. The day Tech stocks especially plummeted. Big Tech slide and was checking out each cities Zillow checking move to or out change over the last few years.

I had to wait till near the end for the Midwest and Chicago cities he hit up.

His consensus is a Tech crash of sorts hitting Seattle, SF, SJ, LA, Boston, Phoenix and Austin. That it will spiral their housing bubbles. Ohio cities all showed growth so positive on them. Detroit still all negatives. His higher hopes were reserved for the Ohio cities. Still metro Detroit is a helova better then the city. It also has in renewal a lot of infrastructure needs too. Chicago much better there including hoods if a eventual larger growing overall again.

Then he hit on Chicago. Near then end. All red stats moving out hits on zillow. Yet his simple response.

"I do not expect a Chicago crash". Simple and sweet. To him its 9++++ lives continue despite it all.

Still, there is a whole Nation out there to seek and Indiana next door. Few see a booming 2022. Interest rates if they do go up in spring especially. Most see plenty of adjustments and bubbles could burst. No one calls Chicago though at 12% housing median increase last year a bubble to burst. That can be a good thing as stardom growing pains especially volatile to bust cycles where buying high will hurt.

I am not predicting. Still there is more OK with positives over negatives out there on Chicago. Not saying crime is one. Much better to have bought sooner in a Chicago exit out, to a booming big city metro like a couple years ago. Still many will find success in leaving Chicagoland too.
I think I also saw the video you watched but he used Redfin data not Zillow data.

Atlanta is going to bust big time. Like Vegas and Orlando did the last time. So are a number of other cities mostly in the sunbelt like Austin, but also Boise, Seattle, etc. Even though Chicago has negative migration numbers as he pointed out, it’s not going to bust (or at least not as much) because home prices have not departed significantly from market fundamentals as they have in other cities. In fact for a long time Chicago was considered an undervalued market.

Old 01-08-2022, 12:25 PM

249 posts, read 148,879 times
Quote:

Detroit has lost 70,000 , Chicago has gained 50,000

Old 01-08-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I’d actually disagree with Minneapolis - I might have agreed 2 years ago but now I would say Columbus is going to rise above the rest in terms of growth/brightest future, followed by Indianapolis.
Minneapolis has been a dumpster fire over the past couple of years. It remains to be seen if it will get back on track. I think it will. You may be right about Columbus and Indianapolis but those are two of the most boring places I've ever visited.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Detroit has lost 70,000 , Chicago has gained 50,000
Yes, if you are talking city proper. The link provided states for the MSA. The the Metropolitan Statistical Area in case you don't know what that stands for. Detroit proper is a sad place but the MSA is growing faster than the Chicago MSA, just like every other major MSA in America.

Old 01-08-2022, 02:04 PM

24 posts, read 23,379 times
The Midwest is blessed with several small to mid-sized cities that offer high QOL, and, I imagine, are pretty affordable. K'zoo, Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Champaign, Des Moines, Madison and Rochester, MN come to mind. I predict these to boom in the future as WFH continues apace.

Old 01-08-2022, 02:04 PM

8,488 posts, read 4,725,598 times
Quote:
Minneapolis has been a dumpster fire over the past couple of years. It remains to be seen if it will get back on track. I think it will. You may be right about Columbus and Indianapolis but those are two of the most boring places I've ever visited.
Couldn’t agree more. I have visited both, and was not impressed with either. Although I think I’d rank Indianapolis at the very bottom. I did not like it at all, and it just felt like a strange place. Could never see myself living there. Columbus seemed like a decent combo college town/ medium city, kind of like Raleigh, but I wasn’t overly impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago