Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 07:02 AM

481 posts, read 879,004 times

Advertisements

This is a funny/odd question that I can probably answer myself, but I noticed this when I was up there around 3 weeks ago. Finding a public restroom in Wrigleyville is almost impossible. Long-time Chicago fan--been coming up almost every year for the past 20+ years. The wife and I decided to stroll through the booths at Winterland at Wrigley and go to a few shops. NONE of these businesses around offered a public restroom. I finally had to buy a $1.99 small fry at McDonalds across from Wrigley Field, just to pee! This isn't the case in other areas. We usually stay in River North since there's a ton to do within walking distance.

I'm assuming this is because of 1. huge crowds during ballgames; businesses don't want their restrooms destroyed or crowds coming in just because of that 2. homeless/bums using their business just for a restroom 3. Covid and having to constantly clean them.

What is one to do, especially if you take a blood pressure medicine or something else that makes restroom visits more frequent? I was at the point, I almost had to use an alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 07:46 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,150,528 times
This has always been an issue in the city which is a shame. My buddy from Florida who used to come here a lot has an issue where he has to go to the bathroom often. And it seemed impossible to find a place that would let him go in this city! Its ridiculous. I finally started to understand why so many simply urinate and yes defecate as I have seen right out in public! What are people supposed to do. You cant help it at a certain point

I give credit to Starbucks for usually being good at letting people use the restrooms! More places need to be like that.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:53 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,484,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
This is a funny/odd question that I can probably answer myself, but I noticed this when I was up there around 3 weeks ago. Finding a public restroom in Wrigleyville is almost impossible. Long-time Chicago fan--been coming up almost every year for the past 20+ years. The wife and I decided to stroll through the booths at Winterland at Wrigley and go to a few shops. NONE of these businesses around offered a public restroom. I finally had to buy a $1.99 small fry at McDonalds across from Wrigley Field, just to pee! This isn't the case in other areas. We usually stay in River North since there's a ton to do within walking distance.

I'm assuming this is because of 1. huge crowds during ballgames; businesses don't want their restrooms destroyed or crowds coming in just because of that 2. homeless/bums using their business just for a restroom 3. Covid and having to constantly clean them.

What is one to do, especially if you take a blood pressure medicine or something else that makes restroom visits more frequent? I was at the point, I almost had to use an alley.
The dearth of public restrooms is a city-wide issue and is primarily out of concern for homeless people. At most city Starbucks locations, for example, you need a code to access the toilet.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:48 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,491,787 times
https://www.chicagotribune.com/inves...xxy-story.html

Old 01-05-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The dearth of public restrooms is a city-wide issue and is primarily out of concern for homeless people. At most city Starbucks locations, for example, you need a code to access the toilet.
True but Starbucks usually will give you the code even if you are not a customer. Bless them for that!

The Century mall used to let you use the one there. But now they have a code for customers only, which is odd as they seem to have none which is why that mall is so dead!

Old 01-05-2022, 08:56 PM

9,890 posts, read 9,504,786 times
Quote:
yeah just like the libraries are a place for homeless people to hang out and unfortunately they stink.. Like the library on Washington/Randolph and Michigan Ave. i went in there once, and left immediately coz there was homeless there, like A LOT OF THEM.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:59 PM

9,890 posts, read 9,504,786 times
by the way, you'd be lucky to get a bathroom open in a restaurant / fast food place even if you are a customer. Burger King, etc, had NO bathrooms open during the covid shutdowns.. even when they lifted up the bans on restaurants being closed, Burger King and other fast foods had their bathrooms closed. this is annoying because when you eat a whole meal you need the rest room open. they had customers inside the fast food places and still, bathrooms closed. Restaurants though tend to keep their bathrooms open. one fast food did not allow you to eat inside, but you could eat in your car and then come in to use the bathroom.. so it was crazy during last year because you never could count on anything.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:55 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,403,707 times
Quote:
Correct. If they don't regulate it, a homeless person will probably hole up in it and it still won't be available to you, not even for a $1.99 bag of fries. That was an issue with some Starbucks downtown I remember. They would give the code and then a person would just be in the bathroom all day. Suburbanites just don't understand some things but this has been a reality in the city for many years.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:50 PM

663 posts, read 300,604 times
OMG apparently many are finding a place to pi$$. I'm on the highway I will buy something at a fast foid place too to pi$$. Still, sometimes you are lucky for those large gas station convenience stores its clean and open rest rooms.

No need for some downers to trash now Wrigleyville. Same people do here in most threads, it need not be now for this. Some do it in the politics forum also. This is basically everywhere today folks. If they set up port-a-potty's then they are a option.

Just gets old some use every thread to trash the city. More and more, nothing is free and even to pi$$ and keep your self-respect not to do it in a alley or ...

Old 01-06-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
OMG apparently many are finding a place to pi$$. I'm on the highway I will buy something at a fast foid place too to pi$$. Still, sometimes you are lucky for those large gas station convenience stores its clean and open rest rooms.

No need for some downers to trash now Wrigleyville. Same people do here in most threads, it need not be now for this. Some do it in the politics forum also. This is basically everywhere today folks. If they set up port-a-potty's then they are a option.

Just gets old some use every thread to trash the city. More and more, nothing is free and even to pi$$ and keep your self-respect not to do it in a alley or ...
Sometimes there is no choice. My friend from Florida tried places and he had to go very badly. Nobody would let him use the restroom. He was in pain after a while I mean what is the big damn deal. So he eventually had no choice but to go outside! The body can only hold it in for so long!

And you would think an area like cubs park would have a place. Lord knows they need it! Of all the areas I have seen people take a leak or a dump outside in this city, none has been as much as in that part of town

Last edited by Robert9; 01-06-2022 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: