Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 03:53 PM

18 posts, read 45,858 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my roommate and i just moved to Chicago from Orlando. We were big into the whole indie dance music scene. Anyone familiar...we went to IBAR every Friday and BackBooth for Crush on Mondays. Anyway, we have yet to find anything up here that even remotely compares. I'm not a house music person so everyone who says to go to SmartBar, I don't think thats necessarily my cup of tea. And I'm already sick of standing around at Rainbo, Estelles and Delilahs. Seriously, what's the appeal there? So please throw me some suggestions of good places that actually have a dance floor.

Some of the music we danced to was: Scissor Sisters, Modest Mouse (Dashboard), The Killers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, CSS, The Rapture, The Postal Service, Daft Punk, The Fratellis, Goldfrapp, MIA, Hot Chip, Hot Hot Heat, Of Montreal, Mika, Tegan and Sara, Rilo Kiley, Silversun Pickups. Ok, I think this will give a decent idea of what I'm looking for.

Anyone who can help us find a new place to be regulars gets 20 cool points and a sticker. Thanks guys!

Oh ps - any good 80's nights around too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Probably not what you're looking for, but for true good dance music, Sonotheque is pretty solid. The sound setup is second to none as well.
sonotheque

Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,073 times
What the heck is "booty dancing"?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:18 AM

569 posts, read 1,819,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaFlav View Post
Ok, so my roommate and i just moved to Chicago from Orlando. We were big into the whole indie dance music scene. Anyone familiar...we went to IBAR every Friday and BackBooth for Crush on Mondays. Anyway, we have yet to find anything up here that even remotely compares. I'm not a house music person so everyone who says to go to SmartBar, I don't think thats necessarily my cup of tea. And I'm already sick of standing around at Rainbo, Estelles and Delilahs. Seriously, what's the appeal there? So please throw me some suggestions of good places that actually have a dance floor.

Some of the music we danced to was: Scissor Sisters, Modest Mouse (Dashboard), The Killers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, CSS, The Rapture, The Postal Service, Daft Punk, The Fratellis, Goldfrapp, MIA, Hot Chip, Hot Hot Heat, Of Montreal, Mika, Tegan and Sara, Rilo Kiley, Silversun Pickups. Ok, I think this will give a decent idea of what I'm looking for.

Anyone who can help us find a new place to be regulars gets 20 cool points and a sticker. Thanks guys!

Oh ps - any good 80's nights around too?
Your first Chicago lesson is that our city was built on house music and still has a very strong scene to this day. Or you have your booty dancing music, in other works club rap I'm guessing. If you find a club that plays indie let me know. I was at the liquor store on Sunset & Silverlake blvd in LA where Silversun Pickups based the name of their band from.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:53 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,405 times
Default They don't play what you want, but....

They don’t really play what you want, but if you really want to dance, here’s where you can shake it at places you haven’t been to:
Roscoe’s – Halsted & Roscoe – Clubby, Diva, Gay Techno Music. Cover on Saturday is $5, other nights there is no cover.
Hydrate – Halsted & Cornelia (3458 N. Halsted) – New York Thumpa-Thumpa Tribal Music. No cover before Midnight, $5 before 2AM, $10 after 2AM. Open till 4 Every Night except Saturday when they are open till 5AM.
I would suggest Charlie’s, but they charge $20 for women and $5 for men…
Maybe Berlin on Belmont? It seems pretty funky…

Old 05-20-2008, 06:28 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
First post!

These are the places I've been to over the past year or two that play that have played the kind of music you describe:

Ohm - Third floor
Debonair - Various nights
Subteranean - Various nights
Sonotheque - Various nights
The Burlington - Various events
Lava - Various nights
Tini Martini
Liars Club

Check out their websites and calendar of events (if there are any)

Few additional web resources:
// dark wave disco dot com /// chicago

BASS BY THE POUND:: FEEDBACK :: Index - more d&b and dubstep oriented, but still worth checking out.

Myopenbar.com - Chicago

Last edited by aragx6; 05-21-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 PM

18 posts, read 45,858 times
we went to Rehab last night...they played indie....

Old 05-20-2008, 07:36 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaFlav View Post
we went to Rehab last night...they played indie....
That's right, Evil Olive too.

Also, sometimes: Empire Liquors; once in a while (tuesdays I think?) at Funky Buddha Lounge. Occasionally at Tuman's on a friday or saturday.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Neo does Industrial,Metal, and Hard Rock from the 80's...

Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Try State Street. Set a bucket on the ground, and pick up some extra cash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: